The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev87 View Post
I recently bought a J-45 Standard (2016), and yesterday I was looking forward to put on my favourite strings to make the guitar sound even better. I removed the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights that came from the factory, and installed the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb .012-.053.

It is safe to say that I could not believe my ears, as I felt the sound got worse with the new strings. Where did the mellow and full-bodied tone of the guitar go?

The strings that worked great on my old Martin, were far from ideal on my J-45. I pulled the Elixir strings straight off, and put on the additional Premium 80/20 set that came with the Gibson case.

Well, for now, I guess I'll stick with the Premium 80/20, as they suit my tonal preferences. The fact that they cost $8.29 here in Norway, compared to the $25.13 Elixir strings, makes me smile too!

Any other Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20 fans out there, other than me?

It sounds like we prefer the same tone. I have tried a lot different strings on the J-45, what I've found is that with a bone nut and saddle I like Phosphor Bronze, with the factory installed TUSQ nut and saddle (which I prefer on the modern J-45), 80/20s sound the best. My go-to strings are the Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20's. I really love these strings but not on any other guitar... If I can't find those or just want to save a few bucks D'Addario EJ11's are a close second. I don't care for Elixir Nanoweb PBs on the J-45, but I don't mind the Nanoweb 80/20s.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 AM

I've tried a bunch of strings on my J-35 and always have come back to the Masterbuilt 80/20s that came on the guitar.

Sometimes you just have to go with the strings that were on the guitar when you fell for it.

However, I found the Elixers to be the next most appropriate for that guitar to my ear. We're all different!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 AM

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts! I'm still baffled that they made such a difference on my J-45. It's great to read that other people agree, as well
Old 09-03-2016, 05:01 AM

Cool Ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
So many Gibson slope owners change the strings and saddle quickly upon ownership, only to change them back. A common experience!

The strings that work best for my J50 are also masterbilt 80/20s, as well as EJ16s, and Martin Retro lights (after a week).

Enjoy your new guitar!
I would agree 100% with the above Gibson Masterbuilt and EJ16 are the only strings that work on my J45 . I also will not be changing pins tuners and saddles etc the J45 Standard is perfect for me as it comes if it's set up and arrives to Gibsons factory specs
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
I don't see these Gibson strings on Strings and Beyond, my usual source. Any recommendations as to where to buy these?
amazon.com

Musiciansfriend.com

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Really liked the 80/20 bronze strings on my J-15, but the Phosphor Bronze are just a bit better. I do plan to stick with the Gibson strings, though. They are fantastic.

I buy them at Musician's Friend. $7/pack with free shipping.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I like the Gibson strings on my assorted Gibsons and other forms of AJ-type guitars. I also like D'Addarios.

I'm not fond of coated strings, they just feel odd to me when I play.

But the weirdest effect that I ever found from strings was from some cryogenically treated NASA-inspired wonder strings that I tried. They sounded great on the first guitar that I installed them on. Then I put them on all my guitars. And all my guitars sounded eerily the same.

I guess you could look at that phenomenon two ways. Either you're bothered by it because your guitars have now lost their individual character, or, you can save a fortune on guitars because as soon as you install those particular strings your hundred dollar Rogue sounds just like your neighbor's D-45V with the same strings installed.

Anyway, I went back to my usual strings, i.e. Gibsons and D'Addarios after testing all the wonder strings on the market. But it was a fun experiment.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights

For those who have used and like these string on a slope shouldered Gibson Dread, where would you place them along the "mellow to bright continuum" of acoustic guitar strings?

Let's say a rating of 1 is extremely mellow, while a rating of 10 is extremely bright.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
When I bought my J45 a few years ago I tried different strings to try and one up the strings that came stock on the guitar and after trying several brands of strings I came to the realization that the Masterbuilts sound the best and I've been using them ever since. The only other string that I thought sounded almost as good was DR Rares and I recently tried the Rare's again but I still like the Masterbuilts better.
This was my experience as well. DR Rares bring out an almost thunderous low E on my J45 which is a wonderful sound, but sometimes feel like they sound a bit unbalanced. I got back and forth between the Rares and the Masterbuilt 80/20's. Sometimes they sound a bit too thin on my J45, but they are incredible sounding on my Gibson AJ.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I like the Gibson 80/20s on my j45 rosewood.
Chalk another in the column of "me too".

Replaced the Gibson MB's with a set of DR Rare lights, no good. Tried Martin acoustic SP lights, again not good. Just ordered 4 sets of Gibson MB's to get it back to where it was.

UPDATE: PUt on the Gibson MB's and I'm a happy guy again.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL

Last edited by tgaume; 09-05-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't own a Gibson flattop, but do own several Epi Masterbilt clones. I bought a set of these Gibson strings because of this thread. I haven't saddled them up, but will let you know when I do.

sm
Old 09-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Mine came with a brand new set of the 80/20 in the case, along with the key chain pick holder. I'll have to try them. Right now I have Martin MFX775 Flexible Core PB 11 to 52 on it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
80/20, gibson, strings