The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default j35 strings

I just changed the strings on my j35. It had elixir nanoweb pb light and that's what I replaced them with. I have always thought the b string and high e were a little too bright, but they are way too bright now. I have very little experience with experimenting with strings. Will medium strings work well with my Gibson and give it a less bright sounds. I like the feel of elixir nanoweb , but would like something a little less bright. Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Here's an entire thread regarding strings for a J35. Mediums are fine.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=355927

I just went from Elixir Nanowebs to Martin Monel Tony Rice Bluegrass mediums. I had NO idea two sets of strings could be so different. The Monels are definitely less bright and very musical.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Guest 728

I had great success taming the brightness of my J-35 with Pyramid Western Folk (round core) strings. A little expensive, but they sound really nice.

I also replaced the saddle with bone, which seemed to help as well.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
Will medium strings work well with my Gibson and give it a less bright sounds.
Medium strings of course will work.

Try Martin lifespans, they aren't quite as bright as Elixirs
Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM

I use either DR Rares or Martin Monels on my southern jumbo. Both in medium. They both give me that warm, dry tone I love in a good Gibson slope.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

You might want to try the new D'Addario Nickel/Bronze. They are nice and round sounding without the tinny clang of the Martin Monels.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 03-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
I just changed the strings on my j35. It had elixir nanoweb pb light and that's what I replaced them with. I have always thought the b string and high e were a little too bright, but they are way too bright now. I have very little experience with experimenting with strings. Will medium strings work well with my Gibson and give it a less bright sounds. I like the feel of elixir nanoweb , but would like something a little less bright. Any suggestions?
I had the same brightness issue as you and tried many different strings. Then I installed Elixir Polywebs by mistake (thought I had bought nanowebs) and it really toned it down and improved the tone. I am very very happy with the tone now and I wont use anything but polyweb on the J-35. Funny though, my other guitars do not respond well to the polywebs.

I also removed the under saddle pickup and installed an ivory saddle. Those mods, along with the polyweb strings made this guitar a keeper! I get unsolicited complements on the tone.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Default j35 strings

Thanks for the input. I may try the polyweb. I just can't give up the feel of elixir strings. I feel like they Are really easy to slide up and down the neck. Are there other strings that have a similar feel?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:02 PM

I just put a set of Martin Silk and Steel on mine yesterday. For some strange reason I bought 2 sets, oh yeah,,,,,,,reading string threads on AGF wanted to try them on my dobro. So far I really like them on the J-35 not too much on the Dobro.

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83
Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 PM

I like the Martin SP phosphor bronze on my Gibson Gospel. I bet they'd sound good on a J35 as well.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 PM

On my slope shoulder guitar, I like the Elixir phosphor bronze strings you mentioned. I also like the D'Addario EXP phosphor bronze, though they are a lot squeakier. My guitar came with John Pearse strings, which sounded really good. I've got some of those on deck to try next (in phosphor bronze), as well as the tried and true EJ16s.

I prefer light gauge for all of the above.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:58 AM

I had a similar post about my J-45; On my Martin I had always used Elixir 80/20's and assumed they would be perfect for my Gibson.....wrong!! I couldn't stand the "roar" when I strummed even moderately.....Right now I'm using exp D'addario PB 12's and they sound wonderful....I also have to use coated strings because the others just don't last for me at all.....you could also try the elixir PB nanos....I also have some DR Dragonskins I'm going to try next, but I have a winner with the D'addarios for sure....

edit...haha just read the above post and he said most the same thing Phosphorus Bronze is your short answer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings