The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 AM

If your guitar is new, it has mediums on it. If not, I woukd get to a known commodity. Switch to lights - any brand mentioned above - and they will be a bit easier than the mediums. Have the shop you purchased it at make sure the set up is spot on for your playing. That will have as much to do with ease of play than new strings.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I started with D'Addario "custom lights" (EJ26), which are .011", opposed to the .012 "lights" (EJ16). A small sacrifice in volume, but noticeably more comfortable.
That's not a bad starting point. Then after a year or so jump up to the 12's. I recently tried a set of the custom lights on my guild and I didn't notice any change in sound, while they are a little easier on the fingers.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
TMK the larger Taylors are designed to work - and still come from the factory - with medium-gauge (13-56) strings; assuming there's no problem with the action (have a tech check out the guitar if you haven't already) I'd stay with these - you'll get the best volume/tone from your guitar - and learn to work with them as part of the process...
Steve is right. The dreadnoughts (X10) models are shipped with mediums. Give them a try and some time to get used to them. If you don't like them after a while, you could drop to lights (12s) and see if you need an adjustment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar strings, light strings, strings