The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
This is my rendition of Gordon Lightfoot's classic song If You Could Read My Mind. I recorded this with the usual set-up: El cheapo mics into a bottom-of-the-line mixer into an obsolete recorder...no computers were used or harmed in the process of making this recording. Guitars are a Taylor GA4, a Guild F512 and a Fender Squier P bass. The keyboard is an old Yamaha PSR500.

All comments, critiques, and improvement suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for listening.

Bob - this is one of my favorite songs and you've done it justice!! Excellent!!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Really liked that.And I reckon Gordon might too.The essence of the song rendered beautifully.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by membler View Post
Sounds amazing! Did you at least record in a sound treated area? Very good recording.
Thanks, Mike! Nope...my basement "studio" has absolutely no deliberate sound treatment, but it is a decent space with Berber carpet and some angles that seem to minimize room reflections. The big drawback is that the HVAC unit is close by so I try to time takes between cycles to minimize noise, but I'm not always successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Bob, you sure have a way of making your covers sound better than the originals. Great work!
That is a very generous compliment, Mesa! I love the old songs I cover and always strive to do them justice, so I am very happy to know that other folks like my renditions. Thank you very much for listening and commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Stellar rendition Bob - this old Lightfoot classic is tailor-made for you. Outstanding my friend - l really like it!
Steve, I always value your feedback and I am glad you like this one! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Outstanding rendition, Bob. Your "cheap, bottom-of-the-line, obsolete" gear produces excellent, pro-quality sound.
Thanks, Jeremy. I can't afford much more than what I have, so I am always glad to read that it sounds good on other peoples systems. My whole recording chain from mics to recorder costs less than half of what a lot of people on AGF spend on a single microphone!!! I'd love to have the high end gear, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDSTER View Post
Bob, Way to nail this old classic tune. This is a real favorite of mine and you did a fine job with it.

Bud
I appreciate that, Bud. Thank you very much!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-25-2013, 05:25 AM

[QUOTE=Mr Fixit eh;3480830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
This is my rendition of Gordon Lightfoot's classic song I recorded this with the usual set-up: El cheapo mics into a bottom-of-the-line mixer into an obsolete recorder...no computers were used or harmed in the process of making this recording.QUOTE]

Beautiful job, Bob. Nice to know that you don't need top-flight gear to make a great recording - also kind of depressing - means I've got to keep working

Steve
Thank you, Steve! Although they might not know it, Doug Young and Fran Guidry have been my recording mentors in the AGF "Recording" forum. They both have demonstrated many times that the gear has minimal impact on the quality of the recording after 1. the performance, 2. mic placement, and 3. the recording space or room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Wow! That is a super production! Very subtle additions of the strings and some superb subtle guitar work capture the emotions of the song. I LOVE your vocals in this. You capture Gordon's essence without trying to imitate. I tell you what I REALLY love. This is a classic Gordon song that contains a WIDE range of emotions and as the song twists and turns with each twist containing a somewhat different emotion, your vocal capture each one. REALLLLLLLY well done Bob!
Wow! You have an amazing ear for detail, Roy, and I really appreciate your kind assessment of this track. You have made my day, my friend. The comment I highlighted is the best compliment I could ever hope to get because that is exactly what I strive to achieve for every cover I do! I always try to sound like me playing _____(fill in the blank) rather than trying to copy a song or performance note for note. Thank you, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Yep...Uh Huh....Awesome...Humbleing...Oh Yeah...
Your commenting always make me smile or give me a good chuckle, Claytone!! Thank you for always taking the time to listen and comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
+1...I totally agree with Stevee B's comments! Dude you got the skills all the way around this...and classy as always.

eric
Thanks, Eric!! I hope all is well with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gilmour View Post
To use a baseball analogy Bob ….you just took a 2-0 fastball and knocked it out of the park with a splintered old wooden bat You got your voice down pretty low there I almost didn’t recognize you but then your trademark wall of sound harmonies came in and took the song to another level. You nailed those harmonies, gave them a little warmth and mixed them perfectly.
Great Job!
Thank you, so much, Ryan!!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Beautiful Bob! What are you using for the orchestral background? The only thing, a very small thing, is to add those base notes that Lightfoot's recording has, especially at the end, as he slows it to a finish. Still, your recording is stellar! Here is a quick YouTube example, kinda rough, but you get the idea. Suggestion He adds this to his recording in a few places, adds a nice touch.
Thanks, Rick. The strings are played on a Yamaha PSR500 keyboard. It's funny you mention the descending bass line because it was a conscious decision to leave it out (and thank you for going through the effort to show it on YT). When I am soloing with my 12 string, I play the line much like you demonstrated. However, in this multi-track arrangement I did not like how it sounded with the other instruments. If I played it and added the bass guitar with the same notes it became too pronounced, and my objective was to lighten the drama in my rendition. If I didn't add the bass guitar along with it, then I found that the bass guitar part clashed with the acoustic guitar bass line making the track sound muddy. So, I tried the descending line on the treble strings to keep the overall flow and vibe of the song, and I liked the result...it just sounded lighter and cleaner to me, so I kept it that way.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Excellent! Makes me want to try some basement recording with my own limited gear.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Wow, that was awesome, Bob.

Your vocal rendition reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot at his prime.

A couple of years ago, I had a fine pair of tickets for his concert at Massey Hall but decided to give them to a client of mine who's a big fan of his.

I become nostalgic when I hear how his "golden voice" has weakened -- but it's great to hear a "prime" version like yours revive an old classic.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 PM

I enjoy listening to well-done covers of artists, like Lightfoot, in this section more than anything else! I just wish there were more people posting them.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 PM

Last edited by tomana; 06-29-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic job, both vocally and on guitar. You've done great justice to this song!
Thank you, I sure do appreciate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaorden9 View Post
Top notch. Just like that
Thanks, delaorden9!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejazzx View Post
Brilliant Bob!
Loved it - hadn't heard that original before and incredibly there's a part in there which sounds exactly like 'the greatest love of all'
I bet this song predates that it being Lightfoot?

Edit: on second listen and a little googling
Hmmm that similarity is a bit ridiculous - it was just downright stolen!

Anyways super recording as usual really enjoyed it
Thanks
Steve
Thank you, Steve! I am always pleased to receive compliments from high caliber musicians like you! Lightfoot wrote this in the late 60s and it was his first commercial hit in 1971.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
Bob - this is one of my favorite songs and you've done it justice!! Excellent!!
LINDA!!! It's been awhile since I've seen a post from you in this section! Thank you very much for taking time to listen and comment. Come back often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbaroque View Post
Really liked that.And I reckon Gordon might too.The essence of the song rendered beautifully.
Thank you, FB! That is nice of you to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Excellent! Makes me want to try some basement recording with my own limited gear.
Thank you, Gary! Why not...it's always fun no matter how it turns out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Wow, that was awesome, Bob.

Your vocal rendition reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot at his prime.

A couple of years ago, I had a fine pair of tickets for his concert at Massey Hall but decided to give them to a client of mine who's a big fan of his.

I become nostalgic when I hear how his "golden voice" has weakened -- but it's great to hear a "prime" version like yours revive an old classic.
Thanks, Mau! Lightfoot was one of my idols that I regrettably never was able to catch in concert during his prime years. I think he is an amazing talent and it saddened me to hear his weakened voice in some YT posts. The years will take their toll from even the best of performers.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Super job RE. In some ways the music is a little better than GL's. That little accented triplet you throw in in the middle of the verse for instance. Your voice is also a good match to this tune and guitar work was stellar. The keyboard was a little overbearing for my taste but fit the tune well. A lot of oldy goldy's on AGF lately I love it!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 AM

I love this song! Such a beautiful chorus. Great job

http://www.facebook.com/Abaybropage
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM

Wow!! Amazing Bob!! Its on my "Favorite's" Thanks!!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I enjoy listening to well-done covers of artists, like Lightfoot, in this section more than anything else! I just wish there were more people posting them.
Thank you again, Rick! I agree and would like more people posting their renditions, too! I also enjoy many of the originals that get posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
your voice fits the song well and the arrangement is well done
I appreciate that, Tomana. Thank you for listening and commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double G View Post
Super job RE. In some ways the music is a little better than GL's. That little accented triplet you throw in in the middle of the verse for instance. Your voice is also a good match to this tune and guitar work was stellar. The keyboard was a little overbearing for my taste but fit the tune well. A lot of oldy goldy's on AGF lately I love it!
Thank you very much, Gary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaybro View Post
I love this song! Such a beautiful chorus. Great job
Thank you, Abaybro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Wow!! Amazing Bob!! Its on my "Favorite's" Thanks!!

Marty, thank you very much!

ReverbNation (originals)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
12 string, cover