The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-05-2018, 03:17 AM

Default Sennhieser/T.C.Helicon MP-76 Dynamic Cardioid Mic

Pulled The trigger on a MP-76

Just could not fit the time into the making of a mic with 6 switches like the T.C.Helicon Switch 6 :

So maybe I take it apart - CAREFULLY - and see what's under the hood in the mini switches it has to make
what I'm after with 6 instead of 4 like the MP-76 .

Anyways I'm a happy camper , haggled a deal and got a boom microphone stand and two XLR cables
thrown in the deal for $170.00 .

T.C.Helicon has 2 year warranties and that's cool with me .This microphone is designed for several T.C.Helicon units .
I'm hooking it to my T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3X

Beside playing keyboard and guitars I blow harps to . I play acoustic harp and electrified harp . When I blow RNR ,
Chicago Blues or California Jump Blues - Jazz I go electrified harp . When I do this I slap the harp up
against tightly to the microphone face to get the compression going I usually use a High Hz Shure 520D Green Bullet mic .
I also use a High Hz Shure Unisphere PE 585
or a Low Hz Shure SM57/58 .

When I play guitar the stomp switches are easily triggered with my feet , but I'm stuck there in front of my pedals and
can't move too far from them . When I blow harps I can do that too with a Switch 6 . . . . .

- - - - - but - - - - -

With the MP-76 I can blow harp and trigger FX with my fingers as I hold the microphone and that's what I'm after .

With a fairly long Low Hz XLR cable hooked to this microphone I can walk away from the confines of my
pedal board area and really move around the stage . When I'm in a combo I like to walk over to the bass player
and then the drummer and then any other musician who's on stage with me and just groove together on a
song to get improvisations going .

The order was just placed and confirmed/approved and now I'm waiting for the shipping conformation and tracking # .

From the spec's this thing is built like a tank for durability on the road . It's not a condenser , it is a dynamic
element driven microphone . Good cardioid pattern and feed back resistant . This ought to also come in handy
when mic'ing an acoustic instrument or vocal with heavy FX in a small room .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 09-23-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Exclamation ! IT'S IN !

It is one well built mic , the internal schock support is really impressive and the tactile feel of
these nano switches feels really good almost like they are not there . I'll be working on getting a
video up on this soon .

I'm using either a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 or a iRig Pro interface into my iPHone to make the video . Which ever
of these two is easiest is what I'll use to make the video and hopefully have really great audio with it .

Wish a guy luck why don't ya .

EZ :

HR

Old 02-26-2018, 03:59 PM

Thumbs up TC Helicon Voice Live 3 X & MP-76 Mic First Observations

The first session with live musicians included a :
  1. Female Vocalist
  2. PBass
  3. Electric guitar
  4. Acoustic electric guitar
  5. Blues & Chromatic harps
Mics:
  • Shure 520D Green Bullet mic HiHz
  • TC Helicon MP-76 made by Sennheiser LowHz
  • Shure SM57 LowHz
  • Shure Unishphere PE 585 HiHz
  • Samson C01 LCD 48VDC Phantom Powered

The MP-76 mic lives up to it's feedback resistance claim IMHO , it really impressed me . The :

[ Room Sense ]

On the TC Helicon FX that picks up room sounds and triggers harmonies worked well . No feed back what
so ever so far and the mic was right up next to the P.A. less than a two feet .

On axis this mic is hot - sensitivity was also notable with a two foot distance from the mic . When no signal was
running through it it was dead silent .

Warm and full sounding , reminded me of a really good LDC condenser mic . Using the Octaver on the harp was
a really nice tripped out sound . Even though this mic has a super tight cardioid pattern it's off axis still
picks up good for situations of recording/sound reinforcement with multiple voices/instruments to reproduce
, in this session showed no feed back .

The room was not a super tight acoustic set up but decent enough to get these results showing me I spent
my money well .

The P.A. was a Mackie FreePlay on a stand , it handled the voice and harp and my steel dread acoustic 6 string
it was stunning . I had to throttle it back a lot .

The Pbass was run into a SS Polytone Mini Brute 3 channel P.A./guitar amp , it was a cruzed job for it .

The electric guitar through a Fender Mustang 40 watt guitar amp . As the singer or myself walking around the
room The MP-76 worked perfect - zero feed back .

No hand noise detected at all while triggering FX with the switches and no plosives as I ripped on the harps
with the harps slapped tight on the MP-76 .

Great 4 hour session with the other two musicians so good we have decided to try a project to get playing live
- AGAIN -
It's been over 30 years all three of us sat together at the same time .

The whole set up impressed the heck out of the guys . I was impressed with the 40 watt Fender guitar amp
the guitarist brought . Nice tone .

The Polytone is old and still pumps like a champ . the PBass sang out super clear and clean 95 watts of solid
RMS SS power and a great tone THD @ 1.%

TC Helicon Voice Live 3 X is a really solid unit - I did have to get it repaired after I had it only 2 months but that
kind of stuff goes with the territory . The repair was done in a week and that includes the travel time in shipping
from So.Cal to Las Vegas Nev , it's 2 year warranty is great .

The Mackie FreePlay is an unreal bang for your bucks unit period . It was throttled back in the small room ,
it's that loud and clear . As a outdoor busker's amp it is a bad boy - as a acoustic guitar amp it's as good
as it get's with 150 watts RMS @ THD .05% .

The electrified harp through MP-76 and into TC Helicon VL3X coming out of Mackie Freeplay with FX I can not
say enough good stuff about it . The Blues - Country Western -RNR was great .

This was the first session with quality pros I have had to see how my system cuts it - looking at the faces of the
other two musicians and the female vocalist told me I nailed it on the gear choices .

I'll have some sounds/vids soon . I didn't want to record the session this time because well - all first sessions
suck as far as technical skill on execution till everyone gells . I did record one song on my Tascam DR44 WL they
didn't know I was doing to surprise them when we do get some tight recordings . - -

Yeah I'm a stinker heh heh heh . I'm going to pop it into a editing session and watch their faces get all screwy .

Last thing to note on the MP-76 :

Playing a 10 hole blues harp is a real deal thang man it's going to get intense once I get the FX wired off
the TC Helicon VL3X - The Chromatic harmonic - wow this is an unreal harp in that it's got 4 octaves . Yes it's an
awesome music machine in and of it's self , now with the FX of the Octaver it's lower register is going to explode
unreal sounds the likes no one's heard before betcha .

EZ :

HR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD