The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Not sure why, but all this week I’ve fallen asleep on the couch with the guitar at my feet!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Playing guitar keeps me sane. The heavier the stress the more simply I play. Not practicing or learning anything new. Just gentle finger picking a I, IV, V chord progression and getting lost in the sound and tonal qualities of the instrument. Like sitting next to a mountain stream and just listening to the rushing water and the world around you. Set the events of the day aside and get lost in your guitar for a bit.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 12-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
Playing guitar keeps me sane. The heavier the stress the more simply I play. Not practicing or learning anything new. Just gentle finger picking a I, IV, V chord progression and getting lost in the sound and tonal qualities of the instrument. Like sitting next to a mountain stream and just listening to the rushing water and the world around you. Set the events of the day aside and get lost in your guitar for a bit.
From a non musical guy like myself, this is perfectly stated. Exactly what I get out it.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Just curious here...

I'm having a pretty rough month so far. Work is stressful, and the holidays always bring on a little financial stress and family quarrels over where the family will spend the holidays.

Does stress make you put the guitar down for a while, or do you play the guitar more to decompress? I tend to put the guitar down and lose a lot of inspiration.
When we had to evacuate our home during Hurricane Irma, I took all my guitars with us in the Jeep.
The closest hotel room we could find was in Atlanta...a 17 hour drive with about 3 million of my fellow Floridians.
While watching the approach of Irma to our town and expecting to lose everything we had built over 22 years in our home.......My guitars were always in my hands....along with the 2 cases of wine we also loaded in the jeep.
While playing all the blues tunes I knew....I watched the eyewall fall apart and the storm come ashore just south of our house.
We suffered some damage but very little compared to others.
I had to change strings when I got home.....Yea, playing the guitar relieves stress

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 12-15-2017, 02:26 PM

See my signature below for my answer.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 12-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
Playing guitar keeps me sane. The heavier the stress the more simply I play....
I feel the same way except I'll edit the last bit and say the heavier the stress the more I play. For me it's like a deep dive and I need to immerse myself in it for a while.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Usually guitar for me is a stress reliever and gives me something constructive and uncomplicated to focus on. I have found that two or three times there’s been a work or home issue that’s been too distracting for me to focus at all on guitar. In those rare cases I’ve de-prioritized guitar and practice until I’ve dealt with the other issues.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Lately guitar playing doesn't relieve my stress. I'm going SCUBA diving. That always works.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:15 AM

I bought this wall hanger in Hobby Lobby yesterday....seemed perfect for me and for this thread......not to mention I have a Les Paul similar to this one...

2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 12-21-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Location: Brevard, North Carolina (but Maine will always be home)

For many, many years I played for my own enjoyment and relaxation; and for the life of me I cannot remember just why I set my guitar aside and let it languish in storage for over 20 years.
In the last few years, every single one of my family members has passed away, I recently lost absolutely everything that wasn't in storage, spent some time homeless, and finally, just after I found work and a room to rent, my cat Pippin suddenly died. He'd been with me through everything. I promptly had a major heart attack, and it left me with a blood clot in my ventrical that may or may not take me out without notice.
I promptly dug out my guitar, fixed it's ailments (to the best of my ability), and began playing again. I even contracted to buy a Martin D-15 as soon as my income tax return happens.
I'm pretty sure that playing again is going to save my life and get me through this. I cannot believe I waited this long. Yes....my guitar is the BEST therapy....totally unequalled.
Michael

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion