The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Default My best choice among a small flock of Seagulls?

In my restless, lifelong search for that ideal Student Prince, the guitar that will loft me over my limitations, I've settled on a pair of Seagull Mini Jumbos, new and used. Both have walnut back and sides, which sounds much brighter and louder to me than the common sunburst-toned models I've compared with it.

The used MJ is a better deal, $75 cheaper and includes the factor electronics (Fishman ISYS+). But I'm concerned about the neck joint, where I can see a very thin, even gap all around. Maybe it's just glue shrinkage, and could be fixed with a small injection? I don't know, but the neck seems stable; I can't raise notes by pulling it back.

Also, the pickup output varies widely from string to string. EAD are only slightly amplified, but G&B are much louder, like an electric guitar. Did someone put electric strings on this?

The other, newer guitar seems to be flawless, with a better looking top. It just costs more, and lacks a pickup that would come in handy in mixed jams. Any learned advice?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:18 AM

Great questions. I think you need a tech to look at the used MJ and get their take on it. Gaps around the neck joint worry me.

First though, did you prefer the tone of the new one over the used? If so, I'd go with that.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:00 AM

The $75 cost benefit could quickly disappear if any work is required of a luthier. With the amplification as varied as you describe, would you even use the electronics?

I don't think your objective is to buy into a headache, and the more expensive guitar would allow you to avoid that.

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 AM

With auburn hair and tawny eyes, the kind of eyes that hypnotize me through.....uh...sorry. 1982 flashback....
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy44 View Post
The $75 cost benefit could quickly disappear if any work is required of a luthier. With the amplification as varied as you describe, would you even use the electronics?

I don't think your objective is to buy into a headache, and the more expensive guitar would allow you to avoid that.
Thanks for the pertinent advice (plus the last two posts, which I can't figure out). I tend to agree, and will probably keep the newer Seagull. But I wouldn't want to make that choice if the neck gap was not significant and the guitar just sounded bad because the wrong strings were on it.

I'll try to take it by a shop Monday, after the Arctic outbreak lifts, but I welcome friendly speculation. Do other Fishman -equipped guitars have uneven string-to-string output?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Nashvillian View Post
Thanks for the pertinent advice (plus the last two posts, which I can't figure out). I tend to agree, and will probably keep the newer Seagull. But I wouldn't want to make that choice if the neck gap was not significant and the guitar just sounded bad because the wrong strings were on it.

I'll try to take it by a shop Monday, after the Arctic outbreak lifts, but I welcome friendly speculation. Do other Fishman -equipped guitars have uneven string-to-string output?
I think post #5 is a joke - a pic of the band "Flock of Seagulls".

I think going with the new one is the safe bet too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic/electric, seagull mini jumbo, strings