The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinboy View Post
I have only used extra light strings on both my twelves in standard tuning.
Which brand do you prefer?
I use Elixr's on all my guitars, but I also hear good things of D'Addario
Lag parlour electro
Admira Capricho (classical)
------------------ Electric ------------------
PRS Semi-Hollow (Sublime to play)
Vintage V100 'Flamed Iced Tea'
Epiphone Invader ("Wot??" I hear you say)
------------------ Other -------------------
Brunswick Baritone BU4B ukelele
Pono MBE baritone ukulele
Old 12-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Which brand do you prefer?
I use Elixr's on all my guitars, but I also hear good things of D'Addario
I prefer the Elixir nanowebs, personally. I only wish Elixir made their 12er set in PBs, which they do not. I emailed them about it, asking if they'd consider it, and they politely said not even on their radar. Too bad, IMHO, but I use the 80/20 nanos nevertheless and love them ...particluarly for their good tone over their entire usable life, which is more than I could say about other brands whose tone "drops off" at a fairly short and linear rate.

BTW, may I echo that the G7th 12-string capo is easily the best 12-er capo I've ever used. Not just for its intuitive design that is stupid-easy to use, but simply because it works better and doesn't pull sharp (perhaps softer rubber or flatter radius??) than the others. I like/use the Planet Waves DualAction capo for my 6ers beccause they are fast, one-hand-use capos with adjustable tension. But for the 12, it's the G7th bar none.

Edward
Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM

Martin SP Lifespan extra light phosphor bronze, but next time I think I'll give Elixir a try. I do like the nanos on my other guitars. It will be awhile, the strings on now are new. I especially like coated on the 12 to reduce string changes
Babicz Identity Limited Edition Finger Style
Cordoba Fusion 14 Jet
Martin D12X1AE
Dauphin D24
Shorty Gloss
Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

All this talk about tension and string gauges but little reference to scale lengths which makes quite a difference - fr instance my D12-20 has a 24.9" scale length whereas my Del Arte has a scale length of 26.5".
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdn View Post
Hi Crow! all the 12's ive ever had, ive used either lights & tuned 1 step lower or would use mediums & tune down to C (2 steps). of course that
low down boomy sound was what i was after
in the old days i had a 'hamilton' capo--a large, heavy lever-operated affair that worked very well to my young, untrained ears.
ive always had good luck as far as the capos for a 12 string, with the Shubb Deluxe, but i'm thinking that the Page capo for a 12-string might solve your trouble as i think im understanding it.

I use the Paige "Clik" for my 6 strings, 12-strings and mandocello...just a couple buck more than the "screw" Paige, but worth it.

And the extra sleeves for the octaves are not needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhPUcdREZ-M
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Tuned To A440

The "short Scale" Collings 12-string (the 02-A model) comes from Austin tuned to A440, with D'Addario strings; EJ38's. I didn't "need" to change 'em until 4 months after I bought it, (new.) Since it's an "O" shape body, and built "short scale"... it appears to be the perfect "marriage" of concept & design. It's very comfortable to play, has tone (& overtones) all day long...and it's built to perfection....meeting all the requirements anyone would like, for one of the most incredible guitars I've ever played...(since I've been playing since 1964.)
As far as the neck is concerned, it's fully adjustable, should the need ever arise, but since it's only 71/2 months "old" there's no need.
An exceptional instrument all the way around. (Included is the "lifetime" warranty, if I ever have a serious issue with it.)
My best... now back to "folksinging!"
1folksinger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, strain on bridge, twelve string