The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Collings SJ

Anyone have Collings SJ?
Please share your love or GAS for one.

Also what do you guys think of square Martin type of headstock on Collings SJ model?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM

I don't have one yet but it's on my short list of guitars to acquire in the future. I'm a big fan of the haircut headstock on the sj classes it up nicely imo.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarman View Post
I don't have one yet but it's on my short list of guitars to acquire in the future. I'm a big fan of the haircut headstock on the sj classes it up nicely imo.
I'm going for Sitka/ EIR. What spec are you looking at?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
Anyone have Collings SJ?
Please share your love or GAS for one.

Also what do you guys think of square Martin type of headstock on Collings SJ model?
The Collings SJ is basically the Collings Guitar Company's re-imagining of the Gibson J-185, same size, same basic shape but with Collings' own proprietary bracing pattern. They're excellent guitars and more consistently musical-sounding than the Gibson J-185's. (Which can be wonderful but which can also be all over the map, with some real clunker J-185's coming off the Gibson assembly line on a regular basis.)

I was puzzled by your question about a Martin style peghead on this particular Collings model, since all I've ever seen have had Collings' superbly elegant "haircut headstock," as shown here:

Here's a picture of that "in context":

Collings SJ

So unless there's been a model change I'm unaware of, I guess what you're asking is whether it would be aesthetically appealing to special order a Collings SJ with the Martin-style headstock, instead. Is that correct?

Personally I love the haircut headstock they use as stock on that model, but tastes vary. But having ordered one special order instrument from Collings (a mandolin,) I know from my own experience with that company that they won't necessarily change something like that even if a customer wants a different headstock. They might tell you: "Sorry, the SJ model comes only with the haircut headstock."

Then again, they might tell you: "Sure, we could build one with a Martin-style peghead on it for you, no problem." So all you can do is ask.

I do think that a Martin-style headstock would look a bit incongruous and odd on that particular model, but that's the sort of fussing over detail that doesn't amount to a hill of beans, really. It's not as though I'd be ordering it that way for myself, and I'm sure it would look fine.

So ask them and see what they say. But don't take offense if they say: "Naw, we won't do that." They guard their brand identity fairly zealously at Collings, and have good reason to take immense pride in it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-17-2011, 01:54 PM

By the way, Songman, before committing to that model in rosewood, make an effort to play one in koa. My friend Jim Baggett at Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas, was one of the very first Collings dealers, and he makes it a point to try to always have a Collings SJ Koa in stock. That particular combination of body style, bracing and tonewood makes for one of the best-sounding and most versatile acoustic guitars I've ever played.

Every time I visit Mass Street Music (which is only once a year at most, since I live up here in Alaska) I'll pick up and play whatever individual Collings SJ Koa Jim has in stock at the moment. And I always want to buy it, because it's always an outstanding guitar.

Yes, it costs more because the koa is a wood upgrade. But man, oh, man, is it ever worth it if that's the style of guitar you want. It just sort of takes an already superb guitar design two or three levels higher - just an exceptional combination where every component works together perfectly.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm going for Sitka/ EIR. What spec are you looking at?
It's sitka/maple for me absolutely beautiful on that guitar especially with a Collings burst.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi Wade,

Once again, great post! And what a great looking guitar that Collings SJ is! I'd go for that "haircut" style headstock, myself. And I will also hope to find a Collings SJ in koa so I can find out about this magic you've referred to.

Regards, Glenn
Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

There is a CJ for sale in the classified section, which has the paddle headstock. I assume it was ordered this way as the stock CJ has the same style Head as the SJ.

One big differance between the Gibson J185 and the standard issue Collings SJ is that the Colliings has a long scale neck. This gives it a much louder and fuller tone than the Gibson. You can also order a Collings SJ with a shorter scale neck like a Gibson 24.75".
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Thank you Wade,

Collings in itself is super $$$ to me...not to mention the consistency ratio of koa compared to EIR. It would be one thing for me to buy the guitar that I can play first but this one will be ordered as I really want one with no tongue brace and adirondack bracing.

My wife and friends really likes the square headstock on Collings...I would be the owner but trust m when i say what my wife thinks matters.

My only real beef with Collings is he use of plastic bindings. Yes wooden bindings are an option...at $1200 for body and neck.

Last edited by songman; 06-17-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you Wade,

Collings in itself is super $$$ to me...not to mention the consistency ratio of koa compared to EIR. It would be one thing for me to buy the guitar that I can play first but this one will be ordered as I really want one with no tongue brace and adirondack bracing.
Understood.

Quote:
My wife and friends really likes the square headstock on Collings...I would be the owner but trust m when i say what my wife thinks matters.
And after looking at that photo that you posted with the Martin-style peghead on this model there's clearly no impediment from Collings in terms of getting it that way.

I still prefer the haircut headstock myself, but the Martin-style headstock looks fine, too. And your wife's opinion settles the matter!

Quote:
My only real beef with Collings is he use of plastic bindings. Yes wooden bindings are an option...at $1200 for body and neck.
Well, look into ivoroid bindings if those are a low cost alternative. Grained ivoroid is actually a very elegant material.

As for the steep price for the wood bindings upgrade, part of that is profit, of course, but there are also different steps that have to be taken when wood is used instead of plastic, mainly in bending it. Since Collings isn't set up for wood bindings in their day to day production schedule, this is as much about creating a temporary work station to do that as it is anything else.

But I wouldn't want to spend $1200 just to get wood instead of plastic bindings, either.

whm
Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The Collings SJ is basically the Collings Guitar Company's re-imagining of the Gibson J-185, same size, same basic shape but with Collings' own proprietary bracing pattern. They're excellent guitars and more consistently musical-sounding than the Gibson J-185's. (Which can be wonderful but which can also be all over the map, with some real clunker J-185's coming off the Gibson assembly line on a regular basis.)
As usual, Wade's posts are very informative and to the point. I guess I lucked out. I got a new Gibson J-185 about four years ago, and am quite pleased with it. It has a very clear, bright tone -- almost like plucking piano strings. It always reminds me of clear, cool mountain spring water when I play it. I know Gibson is famous for its inconsistency, but I feel like I got a winner. A perfect guitar? No, but it does what it does excellently.

Last edited by zabdart; 06-17-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Anyone need a Nice new Calton for one of these? I happen to have one boxed and ready to ship.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Hey, Zabdart, i know exactly what you mean - if you get a good Gibson J-185 those can be astonishing guitars. Very, very impressive when the stars have all aligned correctly...

whm
Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
... I got a new Gibson J-185 about four years ago, and am quite pleased with it. It has a very clear, bright tone -- almost like plucking piano strings. It always reminds me of clear, cool mountain spring water when I play it. ....
Hi Zabdart,

Yeah, a good Gibson tends to sound like that. Good for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion