The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Default Trembesi wood?

I recently purchased a washburn solid rosewood parlor guitar. I was doing some specs research and some sites list the back and sides made of Rosewood. Others spec'ed Trembesi Wood?? Anybody have a clue what Trembesi wood is? I am presuming it to be a certain kind of Rosewood.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick View Post
I recently purchased a washburn solid rosewood parlor guitar. I was doing some specs research and some sites list the back and sides made of Rosewood. Others spec'ed Trembesi Wood?? Anybody have a clue what Trembesi wood is? I am presuming it to be a certain kind of Rosewood.

According to this thread at UGMF, you've got yourself a guitar with monkeypod B/S.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...Trembesi-.html

Interesting to note that it was another Washburn that generated the thread.

Many of the Google listings for "Trembisi wood" also call it "Samenea" and state it comes from Indonesia. A Google search on this term turned up this:

Rain Tree is a Mahogany Grain Wood
Rain Tree wood, Kayu, Suwar (or Suar), is a form of Mahogany and is a much higher quality of wood to carve with than cheaper types of wood like Kayu Pule, Kayu Sandat, or Kayu Cempaka. The Scientific name for Suwar/Suar wood is Samanea Saman and it is commonly known in the English as Rain Tree wood. Another common name for the Rain Tree is Monkeypod relating to the fact that it has seed pods which are edible.

Hard to know. I did notice that parlor back didn't quite look like EIR. Don't get too hung up on the type of wood...it's all in the sound and feel.

Hope this helps.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Here is the Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_saman

The entry indicates that "Trembisi" is the Javanese name for the tree. Looks like it is a South American native which has been widely introduced to the Pacific.

What a cool tree! They're HUGE!!!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 07-01-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM

It is not related to rosewood. It is not related to mahogany. It is what it is. If it were a rosewood its botanical name would start with the word Dalbergia. If it were a mahogany its botanical name would start with the word Swietenia. Manufacturers love to use the common names rosewood and mahogany for completely different kinds of wood since they can bamboozle you and get a better price. They also sell more guitars if they can make you think you are getting real rosewood or mahogany by using confusing common names. That is why you need to always ask what is the botanical name - so you will know what kind of wood it really is. There is no way to fudge what kind of wood it really is when you have the botanical name.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM

Default Trembesi wood

Trembesi (Albizia Saman) is from a New World species of tree found in Mexico south to Peru & Brazil and across the Caribbean.
In fact there are a couple on my property here. Their spread is gigantic and are used for shade trees.
In the film the Swiss Family Robinson had their treehouse in a Trembesi or more accurately, Albizi Saman tree.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgods View Post
Trembesi (Albizia Saman) is from a New World species of tree found in Mexico south to Peru & Brazil and across the Caribbean.
In fact there are a couple on my property here. Their spread is gigantic and are used for shade trees.
In the film the Swiss Family Robinson had their treehouse in a Trembesi or more accurately, Albizi Saman tree.

When I was a very small child our parents took my sister and me to see that movie. Afterwards I lobbied vigorously for them to build us a similar treehouse in the hedgeapple trees in our backyard, but for SOME reason they never did!

I felt deeply deprived, at least until I forgot about it entirely....

whm
Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 PM

Default On the Washburn parlor resinator...

I am thinking of getting one. Any thoughts on the sound, build quality, etc? What is the neck profile? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Trembisi

Here's a good resource for researching wood types.

www.wood-database.com
Old 09-29-2017, 03:38 PM

Faith are very clear about their use of trembesi and, going by prices, charge a slight premium for it.

https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars...rembesi-series

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion