The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Washburn WD20SCE

Hello people,
Has anyone here got one of these acoustic electric's ? I have been looking for a cheap solid top, to get back into playing acoustic again, and from reviews I had read, these are supposed to be 'reasonable' guitars to play.

I play electric guitar, but recently have been trying to pick up my old, completely laminate Karina guitar. I have restrung it, and am 'thinking' of learning to finger pick. I wish I had learned when I was 10yrs old !!!

I've been playing guitar for over 47 years (not at all well, mind you . . but I enjoy it !!) and I'm pretty much a blues player.
However, a brother-in-law of mine has rekindled his love for acoustic guitar playing, and that has piqued my interest !

So . . I am in the process of acquiring a WD20SCE from a guy on eBay. I have searched high and low for these guitars to be available in N.Z., but without luck, so will buy it from USA.

Any encouraging comments about my choice in guitar, . . . greatly appreciated

PS. - my first post - so cut me some slack, ok

Last edited by GrantR; 08-10-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM

No slack needed to be cut...welcome to the forum.

I am not, but any means, a spokesman for the forum, but I did stumble across it a few months ago myself and have enjoyed myself since. There is some great info on here!

As far as inexpensive good acoustics, there are more that any one can list on here. What would your budget be? I have found some great Guild's (solid wood) for under $500. I also have a Washburn, and it was a great guitar (before the truss rod snapped...still working on getting that one fixed).

Seagull has some good lower priced models as well. I also think there are some good Yamaha's there too.

Since you have played for a little while, get to your local mom-and-pop shop and play as many as you can (even those out of your price range)...see what feels good to you.

Good luck, and welcome!

Epiphone Dot with Pearly Gate and a Fat Cat

And maybe my fav:
6 year old daughter plays a purple First Act Discovery FG3073!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I have been into a few of my local guitar shops and played several guitars. There are a lot more reasonable quality guitars available now, from when I last bought an acoustic.

Many years ago I owned a D28, but some hard times (also - many years ago) meant that had to go.
So I do know what a good guitar sounds and plays like . . .
Now, I just want something that will sound reasonable, and have a nice neck to play. I don't want to spend a lot of money, and there are some bargains around from what I have seen.

The Guild's and Seagulls over here in New Zealand, aren't sub $500 guitars. They are definitely dearer here !
One other that has caught my eye, has been Walden D650CE (I think that is the model) . . . they sound like they are good value for money, and have a bit of a following for a Chinese made solid top.
American / Canadian made are out of my price range in N.Z., hence the Washburn choice.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Hi,

Just Linking this in case you missed it.

I haven't played that model, but the Washburn I have is pretty nice and sounds good.. So, I think the Washburn you're looking at should fit the bill.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Hi,

Just Linking this in case you missed it.

I haven't played that model, but the Washburn I have is pretty nice and sounds good.. So, I think the Washburn you're looking at should fit the bill.
Thanks for that link Wasper,

Yeah I had seen that video. I have been trawling around on youtube and anywhere else I can see/hear or read a review, but there isn't too many reviews out there so far.
However, given that Paul actually reviewed the guitar on youtube probably means that its worth consideration. I think he was of that opinion.

Cheers,
Grant.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:12 AM

Make sure you get the newer one with the Fishman electronics. I went into GC the other day and saw one or two. I think they must be clearing out old stock out of the warehouses. The 2 I saw had the older, no name electronics in them. I will tell you the one that impressed me the most was the WD10s. No electronics, but it was $189.00. I played it for a lady there that wanted her first acoustic. She bought it less than 5 min after I played it. Much fuller sound on the one I played than the cutaway rosewood model. However, to each their own. There will be sales this weekend. Look out for AMS, MF, GC and so on for some good savings on an already inexpensive guitar.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Default I do believe

That they all are made with Fishman electronics, these are a new series just created very recently by Washburn ( with-in the last year or so ) as Washburn changed hands to new owners in Canada called Jam Industries after Rudy Schlacher sold it to retire.
So they have been redesigning their whole line and along with that they have replaced their old electronics with the newer Fishman line ( sounds not to shaby ). I have not tried the particular model you mentioned but a few reviews on the makers site have had some nice reviews, and really for those few bucks well you can't really loose out to give it a try.Ship

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion