The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 AM

I generally like to stay out of these notation vs ear debates, but I do have one tidbit of personal experience to throw into the mix. When I'm learning a new tune, it's usually so embedded in my brain that practice feels like the only way to get it out. Tab helps me do that, but it doesn't work unless I've already got the details of the tune firmly lodged in my head.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I generally like to stay out of these notation vs ear debates, but I do have one tidbit of personal experience to throw into the mix. When I'm learning a new tune, it's usually so embedded in my brain that practice feels like the only way to get it out. Tab helps me do that, but it doesn't work unless I've already got the details of the tune firmly lodged in my head.
This is pretty much the skinny. I've said it many times, but once more won't hurt:

If it ain't comin' out your ears, it ain't comin' out your hands.

I do keep paper and pencil handy for when I come across a new fingering or series of fingerings which occur spontaneously in the playing. I write them down along with the song title for future reference.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Hey thanks for that idea stanron!

I will use that after the Em , it works really well.

After the C is another story. In my ears all I can hear is "there were bells, on a hill..." which is so *not* the song I am singing! However There are a few spots where i can take advantage of its ergonomic appeal.

Here is a link to a recording where I explore various voicings of the progression
C C#dim Dm G7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avldjlxzxo...tions.wav?dl=0

It starts and ends with my fav for this particular piece x4535x

Cheerios
I couldn't access the Dropbox, but I'd suggest you simply make up your own dim fingerings based on the movement of the bass line or an interesting interior voice. You're looking for combinations of C#, E, G and Bflat of course.

For a descending bass line you might try moving from the C chord to a C#dim like this one:

x 1 2 0 2 x or x 1 2 0 2 0

Where do you need to go from there?

As to the em to C#dim in your preferred voicing it should be simple if you're fretting the em M/5/2 R/4/2.

Simply slide the M/5/2 up to M/5/4 and add R/4/5, I/3/3 and P/2/5.

Keeping a reference point such as "same finger, same string" or the like gives you an "anchor" from which to work.

W

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
I couldn't access the Dropbox, but I'd suggest you simply make up your own dim fingerings based on the movement of the bass line or an interesting interior voice. You're looking for combinations of C#, E, G and Bflat of course.

For a descending bass line you might try moving from the C chord to a C#dim like this one:

x 1 2 0 2 x or x 1 2 0 2 0

Where do you need to go from there?

As to the em to C#dim in your preferred voicing it should be simple if you're fretting the em M/5/2 R/4/2.

Simply slide the M/5/2 up to M/5/4 and add R/4/5, I/3/3 and P/2/5.

Keeping a reference point such as "same finger, same string" or the like gives you an "anchor" from which to work.

W
sorry you couldn't get to the file. did you try pasting the link into a browser? sometimes when i click links in Tapatalk they don't work.

It contains a variety of voicings for all the chords in the progression. There are least three options for every chord and many more combinations of those three!

After experimenting with a bunch, I found the ones that work the best for this song.

I use the em at the fourth fret alot but it doesn't work for this piece.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write