The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Default Two Frets - One note

Hi,

I bought a lovely Tanglewood TW55-AR that sounds much better than it should for the money I paid. However, I have just noticed that the notes produced at the 13th and 14th frets on the 1st string are the same (I'm just learning really, so have stayed up by the nut with open chords etc).

My instinct was to get a bit of wire wool and try and rub the 14th fret down a smidge so it would be 'below' the 13th. Would this work or is there some sort of guitar alchemy that gets the same result?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM

If the note is the same, the problem would be the 13th, not 14th fret. May want to have it checked as it may not be fret related.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM

If you play the 13th fret and get the same pitch as fretting the 14th fret, the 14th fret is too high relative to the 13th fret. If it is just on the high e string, chances are that the end of the 14th fret isn't fully seated, so that it is sticking up. If you look at the fret carefully you should not see any space between the bottom of the crown of the fret and the top surface of the fingerboard.

You can take the eraser-end of a pencil and push downwards on the 14th fret to see if it moves - it shouldn't.

Steel wool isn't the answer, regardless.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 AM

Yes, the note at the 13th and 14th frets are both the 14th fret note (G).

I had a look at whether the fret was seated properly and it certainly seems to be - no movement whatsoever.

Depending on how hard I hold down the string, the note is either clean or buzzes slightly.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prender View Post
Yes, the note at the 13th and 14th frets are both the 14th fret note (G).

I had a look at whether the fret was seated properly and it certainly seems to be - no movement whatsoever.

Depending on how hard I hold down the string, the note is either clean or buzzes slightly.
I had the same problem on a new Strat. A little higher up the neck. G# and A both produced A on the high E string. The fret was not loose but I was able to reseat it with a few taps from a small hammer then a little touch up with a file and some fine sand paper. I don't know if I would trust this operation to a GC tech. Some are good, some are hacks I hear.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 PM

It could be a fret leveling problem, it could be an incorrectly adjust neck, or a few other things. It's important to identify the root cause before trying any "fixes." There are fret files to take your fret down, but this should be used as an absolute last resort. If you take fret 14 down, and fret 14 wasn't really your problem, then fret 15 will become your problem and on down the line.

On a guitar that nice, unless you have experience and know what you are doing, it's probably just worth the 75 bucks to take it to a pro and have them sort it out. Having built a few guitars, I can safely say that there is some learning curve.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM

I have had the exact same problem since lowering the saddle on one of my guitars. The problem seems to be the neck angle. The neck actually bends slightly backwards from the point of where the neck meets the body at the 14th fret. When i put the edge of a ruler across the top of the frets with the 14th fret in the middle the ruler pivots on the 14th fret showing that the neck bends backwards from that point, hence the string fretting the 14th fret when holding down the 13th. If i was to raise the saddle slightly then that particular problem would be eliminated (although the action would be higher than what i want). If i was to sort the problem properly i would probably have to have the neck reset.

Does your guitar have the same problem as mine?
Try putting the edge of a ruler accross the top of the frets with the 14th in the middle and see if it pivots.

I agree with what others say in that you shouldn't start filing frets until you find out what the source of the problem is as it may create buzzing on the fret in front. I'd try raising the saddle first before filing.

Last edited by Peter Jones; 06-21-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM

What you may have is a hump there though what describe certainly sounds like a loose fret end if it only happens on the first string. You might just not be noticing that the fret is moving when you push on it as Charles suggested. Try sighting down the fretboard like you are aiming a rifle. Do it in strong back light and slightly rock the guitar in the light to see if all the shadows the frets make are the same. If the fret end looks different then it's probably high.

You could also try having a friend push on the fret end as you fret and play the first string on the 13th fret.

I think we may have talked about the Stew Mac fret rocker on this forum before. This is a case where I find that tool to be really handy for quick diagnosis.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Sounds like a raised 14th fret, or even a low 13th fret.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:02 PM

Edited . . . .

Last edited by Guest316; 02-20-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Quoted post deleted

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair