The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2018, 05:59 AM

Default What's in your rotation (picks and strings)?

I'm finding that after much experimentation, instead of narrowing it down to one, I have a rotation of strings and picks that I like to use. Does anyone else like to do this -- sort of a "mix it up" approach?

Here's what I'm into rotating right now...

strings:
Martin Retro
Daddario EXP
DR Rare
John Pearse
Daddario Nickel Bronze

I use lights or a bluegrass gauge.

Picks:
Dunlop Primetone .96 and 1.0
Dunlop Gator .96 and 1.14
Wegen TF120 (1.2)
(I have not yet taken the plunge to Blue Chip or Charmed Life, etc)

Instead of having one thing you stick with, do you enjoy rotating among a few or many? Let's see your list!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:14 AM

Elixir Nanoweb PB HD lights 13 - 53’s on my Martin and Breedlove
John Pearse pure nickel 13 - 57’s on my Taylor (after exclusively using the Elixir’s above)

Jim Dunlop maxi grip 0.60 for light strumming
Jim Dunlop maxi grip 0.73 / Dava Grip Tips for flat picking / heavier strumming

Can’t decide on a preference between my Shubb, G7, Kyser or Planet Waves NS Lite capo

1996 Martin HD28
2018 Martin OM28 reimagined
2016 Takamine P3MC
Gibson Les Paul ‘58 Custom Shop
Fender MiM ‘69 Thinline Reissue Telecaster
Old 12-24-2018, 07:45 AM

With picks, I mix it up with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's a Wegen Bluegrass pick (1- 1.4mm), sometimes a Primetone (1- 1.4mm). Just got two John Pearse Fast Turtles (1.2 and 2.5mm) that I've been experimenting with. They have a squeaky thing going on when they go over the strings, which I'm trying to figure out. Whatever I grab with the guitar is what gets played with, unless I'm not liking the sound then I'll grab another one. Guess it depends on my mood, or the weather, or whatever....

Stings are being experimented with, because of several new to me guitars. But once I find a type that works with a particular guitar I generally stay with that string. I do stick with light gauge strings, except for the Straight Up Strings which are sold as mediums.

Last edited by thomasinaz; 12-24-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM

I am currently rotating neither.

Lowden: SUS Medium (which are low tension 12's)
Martin: Martin Retro 12's

Only one pick: BC TAD 40 (I have 4, but they're all the same)

I rarely use a thumb pick, but I found three that work: Fred Kelly slim, Propik (comfortable, although it's so short I miss the strings occasionally) and a Blue Chip.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 AM

I try to find the best strings for each of the guitars in my small collection. My goal is to have 2-3 brands/types that work well for each instrument. That way I get some variety and if one type isn't available, another will be.

So, it is GHS phosphor bronze, Daddario ej 16s, GHS Vintage bronze, Martin Retros, for the most part.

Mostly I use Ultex, Tortex and Prime Tone triangle picks. Depending on the guitar, they run .73 to 1.14. Just can't do the boutique picks. Hey, I'm working class guy!

Of course, I am open to new strings and picks. After all, somebody may invent THE perfect string set or pick. [emoji16]
Old 12-24-2018, 08:42 AM

I usually don't participate in these discussions but what the heck it's Christmas and it is the season for sharing.

Single 0 - Martin Authentic Acoustic M140 80/20
Double 0 - Retro 12's (Though thinking about a set Parabolic Light Tension)

Triple 000 - Retro 12's
OM - Santa Cruz Parabolic Light Tension

Picks - None, just bare flesh, yes i know you lose a little volume, but i love the feel and control with just flesh.

Merry Christmas!
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Question

Curt Mangan PB - Lights - Blue Chip (if recording) - V-Pick Trad. UL (just pickin’)
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-24-2018, 09:31 AM

"One" might be the loneliest number (remember that song?) but I have found what works for me and I'm sticking to it. (another song) Rotating makes me dizzy.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:57 AM

80/20 Sonotone, Curt Mangan 80/20, currently trying EB Aluminum Bronze on the D-12.
Newtone Materclass PB, TI Spectrum on the H.
Various gauges of V-Picks.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Get off my lawn kid

No picks for me, but string wise I tend to use Martin, D'Addario, Santa Cruz and Gibson strings. (both PB and 80/20 and Monels as well)

Generally the gauges are 12s, but for a couple of my guitars I'll use DADGAD sets or Bluegrass gauge. I recently put on a set of Wyres' DADGAD Pierre Bensusan on my Avalon (used in the tune in my signature), which I like a lot. I also have a couple of GHS True Mediums in my string inventory which I have never used before. Every once in a while I'll get a set of Elixir also, but I'm not generally drawn to them.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-24-2018, 10:50 AM

Pretty much D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze except for one that's strung up with Curt Mangan mediums.

Picks vary wildly as I typically play around with several until my ears settle in with one on the guitar I'm playing, depending upon how responsive it is, and how heavy handed I am, strumming, hybrid picking, etc.

But some baseline go to picks would be Wegen M150, BlueChip 60 in several shapes, Dunlop 208, Dunlop 2.0 Delrin, Dunlop 2.0 Ultex, and Golden Gate or some version of Pro-Plec if my ears want to soften the tone a little with celluloid. I find celluloid really nice for late night playing.

If I'm playing one of my livelier guitars and focusing on hybrid picking I'll go to BlueChip KS40, Dunlop Ultex 1.14, or Clayton Ultems 1.07/1.20 in standard size or small teardrop.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 AM

I don't know if I could call it a rotation, more indecision.

Strings:

Martin Retros. I have'em on two acoustics right now, and it one of the things I owe this group for introducing me to. I have no desire to use anything else on my Martin 00-15. Just perfect on that guitar.

John Pearse PB. Was my default string for years and it may have been Wade that tipped me to them back many years ago. When something doesn't work, that's the pack of strings I open next.

Elixir HD nanoweb PB set. They work well on some guitars, and my Parkwood rosewood/spruce dread seems to be one of them.

DR Sunbeam PB. I'm trying them on my workhorse Seagull Folk. Not sure on them yet.

My good 12 strings have Elixir Nanoweb PB sets on them, my "Tibbetts tuning" old Cortez cheapo laminated 12-string has a "custom" set I made from two packs of Martin SP lifespan strings.

I have a pack of 12-string Retros waiting to try on a guitar, but I hate restringing as 12 (because: lazy). I have a pack of EB Aluminum Bronze that I need to try someday too. And I keep thinking I need to give 80/20 strings a try on something again.

Picks: since changing a pick is not like restringing a guitar, I'm super fickle. Anytime I go to record something, it's "Try this pick? no. This one? no. How about, maybe. OK, this? no. Maybe try the second one again? Still no. Ah, I'll just go with that third one I guess."

On acoustics I'm using Primetones a lot: 1.0 - 1.5, and per Silly M, I'm starting to like the large triangles more and more. I just bought a mixed batch of Dunlop Tortex in a variety of sizes and thicknesses as I'm playing more acoustic lately and I one day couldn't find a green .88 Tortex after performing my usual magic trick of making one disappear in the middle of a tracking session.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Strings are usually either GHS PBs, Newtone Masterclass, or John Pearse and I do like to mix it up now and then with my guitars.

I am still just learning to flat pick and I am experimenting with thickness and materials. Right now, I love the Charmed Life Reds in a small triangle. I will probably get a small triangle in the vespel as well.

I do not do much trading off of capos or tuners as I love my Elliott-McKinney and the Polytunes. I do have one guitar that I keep G7th Heritage with it.

Both my Wingert E and the 00 get the most playing time.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-24-2018, 11:30 AM

No for me it’s a Fred Kelly speed pick thumbpick ( Orange ) and Martin strings SP or the new Authentic 12-54 ( great strings BTW )
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 12-24-2018, 12:45 PM

13-56 EXPs for my Takamine
Curt Mangan 12.5-55 Phosphor Bronze for my Martin OMCRE
John Pearse 12-54 Nickels for my Furch D31 TSR

Picks are Primetone 1.3mm rounded triangles with the grip, Golden Gate Mandolin picks and an old Papa’s Pick that I bought in Nashville years ago that feels about 1.2mm.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion