The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Default Gibson LPJ and SGJ

What are your thoughts on the Gibson Les Paul LPJ and SG SGJ? The 2014 models have the new '61 pickups whereas the 2013 had the 490s. I think they may be discontinued for 2015.

The SGJs are on sale for under $500 at some places. I'm thinking of picking one up.

Your thoughts / experiences with the "J" series?
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 PM

The electric version of the J-15 - simple trim, everything you need/nothing you don't; IMO this is a rare deal - you're not going to get an American-made electric for under $500 at any time in the foreseeable future - so if you've got the urge and the funds I say grab one while you can...
Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 AM

They look really cool to me. I've been meaning to check one out in person but just haven't had the chance yet. Seems like a rare opportunity a la Ernie Ball S.U.B. basses 10 years ago (of which I own one!) - no frills, American built, ridiculous price. I'd be surprised if the line lasts forever.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:13 AM

So far this year I've bought three SGJ14's and one LPJ14. They are indeed too good to be true. That's the reason they're discontinued. If you haven't read about the 2015 Gibson lineup changes and price increases you need to. It's the reason you need to get a 2014 "J" NOW.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY000 View Post
So far this year I've bought three SGJ14's and one LPJ14. They are indeed too good to be true. That's the reason they're discontinued. If you haven't read about the 2015 Gibson lineup changes and price increases you need to. It's the reason you need to get a 2014 "J" NOW.
Thanks KY, I'm glad you chimed in. I saw your last NGD thread when I searched this forum prior to creating this thread. Great to hear you're still liking them.

I just checked one out at Future Shop (Canada's Best Buy). Yep, they're selling them. Only 1 in stock but more online for only $469 (no case). Everything felt in order, no sharp fret ends. Way out of tune and no amp but the fretboard felt nice. I'm not much of a fan of the cherry though, which is what they had.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars