The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Default Rainsong String Change Report

I recently did the first string change on my H-WS, replacing the stock Elixir Nanos with DR Dragonskins. The DRs are also coated, similar gauge (NB, what DR calls "medium" is what most of us call "light"). At first I did not notice much difference, but now that the strings have broken in and I've had some time alone with the guitar, they seem noticeably different.

To my ear, the DRs tone down the shimmery/bright sound of the guitar, and seem to emphasize the midrange more. The guitar sounds more like its wooden counterparts now, although I would not say it sounds woody. It may just be less of the signature RS sound, rather than more of some other sound. I'm not sure yet whether I like them better.

By comparison, I don't like the DRs (or Elixirs) on my Martin, sounds too muffled/dead/sock in the guitar. I do like the DRs on my laminate Recording King, as they de-emphasize the thin/tinny part of that guitar's palette.

Lordy, this stuff is hard to articulate!

Anyway, there you go, FWIW.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM

Interesting!
I just expressed my curiosity about the effect of strings on the "Rainsong shimmer"... in the Emerald X20 OS thread.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber