The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Default Mandola

I have just made a deal on a Weber mandola. Any thoughts on how best to use what I know about a mandolin and transfer it to the mandola. Any book recommendations?
thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
I have just made a deal on a Weber mandola. Any thoughts on how best to use what I know about a mandolin and transfer it to the mandola. Any book recommendations?
thanks
Not much of a music theorist, but I think you'll find the fingering is the same as mandolin, although the chords are different. I assume you will tune it CGDA.

I've had a Weber Bridger mandola for about 12 years. It's a wonderful sounding, playing instrument that allows me to approximate the sound of a mandolin with a capo, and a deeper sound toward an octave mandolin uncapoed. Sold my mandolin and octave, kept the dola.

When you start surfing for mandola info, you'll find a lot of confusion regarding tuning and scale lengths.

It's a great instrument.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
...When you start surfing for mandola info, you'll find a lot of confusion regarding tuning and scale lengths...
Just to add to the confusion, I've also heard of some players setting them up in bari-uke (DGBE) tuning; never played one myself but I understand the carved-top versions have a rich, throaty midrange tonality, midway between an archtop guitar and a mandolin - might be a great combination with a baritone guitar...
Old 03-21-2015, 04:52 AM

I've been playing my mandolin and just trying to visualize the difference. I look forward to the Mandola, I look forward to it voice. However, I find myself forever moving from one instrument to another, but upon reflection, that in itself is fun and keeps the juices of enthusiasm flowing. Thank you for your thoughts. J.C. Bryant
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 PM

I've owned a few mandolas over the years. The best one I ever had was a Kentucky Dawg model mandola, which was designed by John Monteleone. I got it to use onstage after seeing Steve Goodman play a Flatiron mandola on a few songs. The advantage to a mandola to a solo performer is that you can play nice melodies and so forth, but since it's a mid-range instrument you can play it by itself and it isn't as annoying-sounding as a solo mandolin.

Unless you're a genius player, onstage a solo mandolin gets grating pretty fast. Because it's tuned a fifth lower, the mandola doesn't have that same property. It works better by itself than mandolin does.

The other main use for mandola is in a mandolin ensemble. We've got a mandolin orchestra in Anchorage, but there aren't that many of them around.

What you'll find trying to play music with other people with the mandola is that you've got to be more aware of music theory and where you can work the instrument in. It's more of a challenge that way than mandolin is.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 AM

Wade, thanks for the input. I love the sound of the Mandola and I've already noticed that the fifth below mandolin part does require some thought. I am certainly not an accomplished musician or anything but the sound of the mandola is very pleasing to me, even in the form of simple melodies. I think the older I get the more I appreciate simple and slow. Blessings to all for your thoughts. J.C. Bryant

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments