The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Default Thinking of Learning Fiddle

I am wondering if there are any fiddle players here, as my recent trip to a bluegrass festival (Wintergrass) has given me the fiddle bug a bit. I am in the process of learning the Mandolin, and I am just beginning the process of learning scales and soloing as opposed to simply playing backup chords and chop chords. I know the tuning and fingerings will transfer over, so I am very intrigued. I also have a friend who is very experienced that can get me started on bowing technique.

So my questions are as follows. In shopping for a fiddle, I want something used with character if possible. Is there a place online that you would recommend where I know that a potential fiddle has been checked over and set up?

Any mandolin players here who have crossed over? How hard was it for you?

Thanks.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM

I tried fiddle for a couple years. I've played mandolin for about 35+ years. The tough thing is the intonation.
Not too hard to get the fingering, as yes, its similar, and bowing will come with some practice.
You may be able to play a couple simple fiddle tunes in a short time. But, the intonation is the key to playing well. And, this takes years.
As there are no frets, your finger placement has to be exact, or your sharp or
flat. You can slide into the note, which is an option to help.

I still fiddle at it some, pun intended, but as I look at it, I wasted two years learning fiddle, that I could have been playing guitar.

I have since focused on guitar going on 5 years now. Much more satisfying and it sounds a lot better by itself.

Give it a shot, its fun, but to play really well, like anything, expect many years of practice. Good luck.
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public
Old 03-09-2015, 01:49 PM

I tried it. The bowing hand seemed hard. making a nice sound on an open string was not a given.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:22 PM

I wouldn't call myself a fiddler, but I can play some fiddle. My advice would be to find a reputable string shop and rent a well-set up beginner instrument for a year or so, something like an entry level Eastman or a Shen.

Please be exceedingly cautious about online VSO (violin shaped objects). That $75 ebay fiddle may seem like a good deal, but it will be terrible. The fingerboard will not be planed properly, the bridge will be misaligned, the tuning pegs will not fit properly and the fine tuners will break off in your hand.

Go to a reputable string shop... not a shop that sells guitars, and not a shop that rents band instruments, but a real string shop. If you don't have one locally, I have dealt with J R Judd Violins https://www.jrjuddviolins.com/

The good part about renting is that most of your rental payment can be put towards the purchase of an instrument if you decide fiddle is for you. If you spend $40.00 a month for a year, you will likely have $360+ that you can put towards buying a fiddle, so your money won't be wasted.

I also play mandolin. There is some crossover because they are tuned the same, but it doesn't help a lot. IMO, the right hand bowing is what makes a fiddle hard to play well. The left hand stuff, intonation, finger placement is actually pretty easy.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 PM

that left hand is what kills me I am many times just a tiny bit sharp or flat and it bugs me if I am not right on.. bowing was not that hard. great training for the ear though. one day maybe I will nail the notes. it is a fun diversion.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 AM

Tried it also after going through some other string instruments like mando, cuatro, ukes, now irish bouzouki is my focus. I found bowing and fingering at the same totally alien and knew it was a whole different beast for me and would be like starting over as opposed to taking my guitar skills and applying to something else like mando for instance. One thing I was told from some teachers is that the bow is very important. My buddy who I was borrowing his paid hundreds just for the bow. It's much more than just say a pick or slide is for guitar. No frets and I have large hands so fingering would be an issue also I find.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 AM

It ain't easy. Takes a lot of practice to get good intonation and tone. Bow hand is critical. You will want to find a good instructor to learn basic technique.

It can be fun once you're into it though. Very expressive instrument, very different from guitar.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 03-10-2015, 07:10 PM

I am taking lessons my teacher said that I played the most beautiful marry had a little lamb any of her beginner students ever played. but when I got the thing I just focused on bowing ,notes and tone .. still really only focus on scales notes and tones and a little reading .. but I am reading charts at a level I can focus on the tone and getting the notes right.. very simple stuff. but not really expensive for whit I will do with it...I have a old buddy that plays in orchestras..and plays jazz and country every now and then....when he plays jazz and country he uses a 500 dollar electric.. he says it sounds just fine because those are electric shows and a acoustic instrument would not sound any better because it would be miked. he said I will never need a expensive acoustic and I should get a electric.

Last edited by EoE; 03-10-2015 at 07:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments