The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Saw Jake Last night... WOW!!! GO SEE HIM!!!

Jake Shimabukuro stopped and played in my city (Billings, MT) last night and it was AWESOME. I've been a fan for years, and took my wife and daughter (who also dabbles at the uke like I do). At first, I was a bit disappointed as we walked in and I just saw a mic stand and a stool up on stage. I kind of hoped he'd have a band backing him up. I was thinking "ah man... how's he gonna keep me entertained all night with just a uke and no vocals or anything".

WOW... entertain us he did! The 500+ seat venue wasn't sold-out, but the several hundred people that were there sure game him a hearty welcome, a standing ovation at the end, and plenty of noise between songs and during the more "spirited" passages.

His use of dynamics was impressive. From ever-so quiet (that you had to strain to hear), to heavy-metal-loud where he was banging on the strings so fast and hard that I was sure he was going to break them. He played the same uke all night, and it was a well-balanced instrument that took everything he could give it and always sounded like it could take more. He played rasqueados and tremelo (flamenco-style), and finger-picked classical style. He was just an inspiration all night long. I told my daughter as we were walking-out, "remember this night... you don't get to see a world-class musician like this very often in your lifetime".

For some background... classical guitar was my major under a guitar program headed by Christopher Parkening. I've recorded and gigged my own suedo-flamenco. I've played in rock, country, jazz, blues, bluegrass, etc bands for over 30 years. I've played with and been around world-class musicians. I haven't felt this blown-away in many years. This "kid" (Jake) is truly an amazing and inspirational player! GO SEE HIM if you get the chance!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:51 PM

I would love to see him live. I have a couple of his CDs. I've been dabbling (I like that word--it fits perfectly--I can *sort of* play uke) with the uke for a little over 2 years.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

The uke is just one of those fun little things I picked-up on my honeymoon to Maui years ago. I have a few books and just fiddle around with it when I'm in the mood. But just like Chris Thile made me want to pick up a mandolin and work at it (and I did), Jake has made me want to put some more effort into my ukelele diversion. The guy just knocked my socks off! Check his site out for tour dates and go see him if you can. You won't be disappointed!

http://jakeshimabukuro.com/
Old 03-12-2015, 12:08 PM

I have seen him in person too. I was amused by his statement about being prepared to be "underwhelmed." After all he hes just playing a lowly ukelele, right? WRONG!!

Have a pic.

-r

Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 PM

My introduction to Jake's music in 2004 was a life changer. He is endlessly talented and a wonderful arranger of tunes. Have seen him many times and probably play 20 or more of his songs....just a blast to learn. Who knew that Led Zeppelin, George Harrison and the Beatles, the Carpenters, Burt Bacharach and Sarah MacLachlan could all work equally well on tenor uke?

Jake also is the sweetest guy on the planet. Could not be more nice to speak with and he is always very gracious with signing for folks who attend his shows.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I have seen him in person too. I was amused by his statement about being prepared to be "underwhelmed." After all he hes just playing a lowly ukelele, right? WRONG!!

Have a pic.

-r

Cool pic! He was just so intense live. I love it when performers show how they're giving their all. I could stand to take a lesson or ten from that in my own liver performance style!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
My introduction to Jake's music in 2004 was a life changer. He is endlessly talented and a wonderful arranger of tunes. Have seen him many times and probably play 20 or more of his songs....just a blast to learn. Who knew that Led Zeppelin, George Harrison and the Beatles, the Carpenters, Burt Bacharach and Sarah MacLachlan could all work equally well on tenor uke?

Jake also is the sweetest guy on the planet. Could not be more nice to speak with and he is always very gracious with signing for folks who attend his shows.
Even though I am (and always have been) primarily a guitar player, I also feel like seeing Jake live changed my life. It changed the way I think about things and it really shows you that you are only limited by your imagination as to what you can do on your instrument.

And I'm definitely reading similar experiences regarding people who've met Jake. Those who have known him since before he broke big say that he's just the same ole humble, nice Jake. You can really tell that from seeing him live. At one point someone from the audience shouted-out "sing!" to him. So Jake went into this short little ditty that he wrote for a girl in high school. You can tell that he doesn't take himself too seriously. What a cool guy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments