The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM

Default Shubb Deluxe user, BUT...

As a preemptive statement let me say that I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Shubb Deluxe user, having arrived by way of being a long-time "regular" Shubb user, back as far as I can remember. (I've been playing for 50 years...)

That said, I do pick up other capos regularly, just in case there's something I'm missing out on. I know there are some newer candidates in the "something new and different" capo arena, but first off, I'm cheap, and second, there are a lot of folks who don't sing praises of the new kid on the block (reporting of difficulties) so I'll wait on that. I'm also not wanting to start another of the weekly "Which capo is best" topics...

The second-favorite guitar capo in my collection is a brass Victor, now marketed by Dunlop.

I also play banjo and have a Shubb Deluxe banjo capo, and a few others, mimicking my guitar capo acquisition syndrome. Among my favorite banjo capos is a Planet Waves Ned Steinberger design aluminum capo, so I figured I'd pick up a Planet Waves PW-CP-02 guitar capo to keep all the others company in the box.

Bottom line of this is that the Planet Waves is a seriously good capo. It does all the things my Shubb Deluxe does, but what I appreciate is that the adjustment knob is less finicky than setting my Shubb, and that's saying a lot. It also seems to be a bit easier to hit that Goldilocks zone of clear notes without slightly sharpening the tuning.

As said earlier, I'm a die-hard Shubb user so it takes a lot for me to post a recommendation for anything else, but it's worth a try for anyone looking for a solid performer at such a low level of monetary outlay. If it fails after a few years I'd get another one, it's just a tool in the arsenal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...WYDhoCAT7w_wcB
Old 04-30-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Bottom line of this is that the Planet Waves is a seriously good capo. It does all the things my Shubb Deluxe does, but what I appreciate is that the adjustment knob is less finicky than setting my Shubb, and that's saying a lot. It also seems to be a bit easier to hit that Goldilocks zone of clear notes without slightly sharpening the tuning.
They also make a "lite" version out of plastic if you want something as lightweight as possible. Works the same.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
They also make a "lite" version out of plastic if you want something as lightweight as possible. Works the same.
The lite version gets a LOT of bad reviews, so I opted to go with the aluminum for 5 bucks more. The aluminum one is really quite light in weight, and I'm used to the Shubbs which are stainless steel and a bit heavier.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Agreed. What is most amazing to me is that it's not that popular here, where many go on and on about Schubb, G7th, then debate between these, or get into astronomical diamond price zone, whike the Planet Waves quietly sits in the corner just doing its job well. At $15. I thought something was wrong with me, thanks for the sanity check.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Agreed. What is most amazing to me is that it's not that popular here, where many go on and on about Schubb, G7th, then debate between these, or get into astronomical diamond price zone, whike the Planet Waves quietly sits in the corner just doing its job well. At $15. I thought something was wrong with me, thanks for the sanity check.
Well, you must be reading different capo threads than I read, then, because I haven't read any where people go on and on at great length about how much they love their Shubb capos. What I HAVE seen is long threads with a great many people chiming in to mention - quite briefly - that they prefer Shubb capos.

If that's what you meant, then I guess I'm guilty as charged, because I've been a convert to Shubb capos since 1982, and have one in every instrument case: guitars, banjos and mandolins alike.

But it isn't as though I rhapsodize and swoon about them, I just like them because they work the best for me. That seems to be the gist of most everybody else's posts, as well.

Shubb capos are as popular as they are because they're REALLY GOOD and work REALLY WELL. That's all that needs to be said.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-01-2017, 04:09 AM

Yes, as a long time Shubb user I'll echo Wades's sentiments. I've used loads-from the elastic type when I was a kid, the old faithful Hamilton, that Dunlop one with the strap and ridges, Planet Waves, a rapidly discarded Kyser Death-Grip model, a fiddly Paige, to my current Shubb and G7th.
It's just a mechanical clamp, folks; you don't need abalone inlays or exotic woods as long as the thing does what it is designed to do, and does it well.
I will add that G7th is a great company to deal with. My original G7th fell apart. I mentioned this in a forum, my post was spotted by the very nice chap from G7th who sent me a replacement, free of charge. Now that's customer service!

Last edited by AndrewG; 05-01-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 AM

I have 3 G7's and 4 Shubbs; they both do the job very well and my "most preferred" changes every few months. And one Kyser sitting in a drawer...has never worked very well for me, though I see a fellow at a jam who uses one with seemingly good results.

I'd try a Planet Waves....but I don't have a pressing need for another capo right now...
Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 AM

To get this back on track and not turn into another "best capo" or "the one I use"..... I tried the NS. It functioned well, but I did not care for the muted tone it gave my guitars. My preferred capos are based secondarily on how they function mechanically and primarily on how they perform sonically.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 AM

I've got both Shubbs and Planet Waves and agree with the OP that the PW is a decent capo,
I think the PW's rubber is a bit softer than the Shubb's, although that doesn't seem to affect it's function.

I once lost a PW capo playing outdoors ,,, it was missing for a couple of rainy months until the hover mower found it again one day !
Took some paint off but it still works fine .

Last edited by Long Jon; 05-01-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 AM

I use Shubbs.

I was given a G7th when it first came out. It worked fine, but I had trouble taking it off without it making a clunking sound that carried over the church PA system. The clunks and thumps I made at odd, quiet moments weren't the best. I sold it on eBay a few weeks after I got it.

I had a PW capo too. It worked OK, but I thought the Shubbs worked better. I gave it away with a guitar I sold.

That leaves me with just my Shubbs. Shubb capos work great, they're durable, they are quiet, and they don't cost too much. I can't get excited about them though. They just work . . . and continue to work . . . and then work some more.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:55 AM

I LOVE my brass VICTOR capo that I use on my 12 String Guild guitar.

For my 6 strings and electrics, I prefer the standard Shubb over the Deluxe.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I LOVE my brass VICTOR capo that I use on my 12 String Guild guitar.
Me too. The brass Victor is a bit heavy, but works GREAT on my Guild 12 string.

I love the Planet Waves NS for the D-18. Simple, light, works perfect.
One poster above says his mutes the strings... not sure why unless he doesn't tighten it enough.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM

I'm a Shubb user much of the time, but I like the NS capo too.

Advantages to the NS (for me, some of the time): lightweight, doesn't get in the way of the hand as much when fretting near the capo as much as some others. Never accidentally snaps open after an awkward hand bump (yes, I'm that awkward sometimes--grin). Easy to tweak until the string buzz goes away while attached.

Disadvantages of the NS: AFAIK, not available in sizes, so fatter, wider necks and/or capoing up farther on the neck can be impossible. Reasonably rugged, but I've had one of the adjustment mechanisms go bad on me.

Wade (as usual) is right-on regarding the Shubbs. Nothing novel about them, and they work well, so there's not much to say.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yes, as a long time Shubb user I'll echo Wades's sentiments. I've used loads-from the elastic type when I was a kid, the old faithful Hamilton, that Dunlop one with the strap and ridges, Planet Waves, a rapidly discarded Kyser Death-Grip model, a fiddly Paige, to my current Shubb and G7th.
It's just a mechanical clamp, folks; you don't need abalone inlays or exotic woods as long as the thing does what it is designed to do, and does it well.
I will add that G7th is a great company to deal with. My original G7th fell apart. I mentioned this in a forum, my post was spotted by the very nice chap from G7th who sent me a replacement, free of charge. Now that's customer service!
Ha! I've still got my old Dunlop elastic capo, and a Hamilton, and that little band and clip that you squeezed in ridges.

For me , and for all my guitars (that use capos) its a basic Shubb C1 or C1b

They work. Like Andrew says, they are clamps, - no need to upgrade.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ha! I've still got my old Dunlop elastic capo, and a Hamilton, and that little band and clip that you squeezed in ridges.

For me , and for all my guitars (that use capos) its a basic Shubb C1 or C1b

They work. Like Andrew says, they are clamps, - no need to upgrade.
I think I must get a Hamilton again, just for nostalgia. It was the second thing I bought after my Eko Rio Bravo, in 1968.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion