The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM

I hear Bruce makes a great Martin.

Just saying.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

What is wrong with sitka? It's a great guitar top. I'd be willing to say that there are more great sounding sitka topped guitars than any other wood. I went around and around with this question when I got my last guitar. I've had adi topped guitars. There were some aspects about it that I liked but I didn't like that I had to dig in and wake the top up to appreciate it. It was like I had to attack the guitar to play it. It did have head room though. A ying and a yang there. After looking at other woods and not really having experience with them plus having bought guitars at times with appointments that I "thought" I'd like and didn't. I went with what Stefan Grossman said " with sitka you don't have to wait for it to open up".

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 AM

There is so much variation in properties between pieces of wood of any given species that, in the end, there is a lot of overlap. While Red spruce tends to be denser than Engelmann on the average, it's not true that every piece of Red is denser and stiffer than each piece of Engelmann. In fact, some of the densest and stiffest tops I've gotten were Engelmann, and I've gotten Red that's as light as any Engelmann; it's just that the extremes are not so common.

I doubt that even Martin's custom shop really 'builds to the wood', taking the properties of the individual top into account. They probably go with a standard thickness and brace setup, and may simply use higher grade wood, which may or may not be acoustically 'better'. Most top wood grading standards address appearance rather than the things that matter for sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion