The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Default I play with low action and little relief. Should I stay away from Adi tops?

Just as the title says, I primarily play fingerstyle and have my guitars set up with low action and very little to no relief. I was planning on doing a custom Martin build in the near future, and was debating on wether I should stay away from adi topped guitars, since I've heard they're usually very stiff and need some force to drive the top and get a good sound. Would standard spruce or so ething like european spruce be a better choice.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:38 PM

Engelmann sounds like the ticket, in my personal opinion, although Martin does not use Engelmann very often.

Adirondack may not be too bad a choice, though. In fact, Sitka would be my last choice given the same builder and construction method.

YMMV
Old 04-30-2017, 05:48 PM

What size Martin?

I have an Adi topped Bourgeois dread and Froggy 000, and both a very responsive to light touch, with setups as you describe.

I had an Adi D-18V that did require you to dig in when fingerpicking, but that's the dread, and also an N of 1.

So no, an Adirondack top definitely doesn't automatically preclude fingerstyle.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Based on my experience with Engleman it will respond to a light tough but if thats what youre looking for you might think of cedar, very light touch excites it but the tone is colored quite a bit. Having said that every species has harder/softer pieces so if you were going with a custom builder you could ask for a softer piece but I dont think Martin will do that.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I play 50-50 fingerstyle-flatpick and have 5 adi-topped guitars (small jumbo, 000, 2 OMs, & 00) set up as you describe with terrific response & tone for both playing styles. My most sensitive & warm guitar is adi-topped. So it's not the wood that makes the difference in my case.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-30-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although Martin guitars made with Adi tops may tend a little toward structural excess, I hasten to add that many of the more flexible makers are able to use Adi to make highly responsive guitars which some acute observers believe to have more headroom than a similarly responsive Engelmann guitar.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imc_1121 View Post
Just as the title says, I primarily play fingerstyle and have my guitars set up with low action and very little to no relief. I was planning on doing a custom Martin build in the near future, and was debating on wether I should stay away from adi topped guitars, since I've heard they're usually very stiff and need some force to drive the top and get a good sound. Would standard spruce or so ething like european spruce be a better choice.
What spruce is used is not nearly as important as what luthier you choose and the design involved.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

If you play primarily fingerstyle and are getting a custom made guitar, why not get a cedar top ?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-30-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
What spruce is used is not nearly as important as what luthier you choose and the design involved.
The OP clearly said he wants a Martin, and Bruce already mentioned that Martin tends to overbuild its Adi tops a bit. So I'm not sure if there is a choice of builders, unless the OP chooses to change his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
If you play primarily fingerstyle and are getting a custom made guitar, why not get a cedar top ?
Does Martin even offer Cedar as a top choice? I could be wrong, but the next Cedar-topped Martin I see would be my first.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:53 PM

Adirondack topped Martin 000-18ge. Light gauge strings, low action, very little relief. Works for me!

https://youtu.be/MhS8WckSooA

Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
The OP clearly said he wants a Martin, and Bruce already mentioned that Martin tends to overbuild its Adi tops a bit. So I'm not sure if there is a choice of builders, unless the OP chooses to change his mind.

Does Martin even offer Cedar as a top choice? I could be wrong, but the next Cedar-topped Martin I see would be my first.
Yes, occasionally . I've seen them. And as a custom model you can select cedar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-30-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Although Martin guitars made with Adi tops may tend a little toward structural excess, I hasten to add that many of the more flexible makers are able to use Adi to make highly responsive guitars which some acute observers believe to have more headroom than a similarly responsive Engelmann guitar.
+1. Red spruce ("Adirondack") is sensitive to being overbuilt, and that is where most of its reputation for long break-in and needing to be driven hard comes from. And not just in the hands of CF Martin.

A guitar with a red spruce top can be responsive right out of the gate.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Perhaps you want the brightness/brillance of spruce?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:27 PM

How heavy is your hand?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

the Martin CEO7, adi topped Gibson inspired L00 style guitar seems to be a big hit

and like Howard said..... a red spruce topped guitar can definitely be
responsive right out of the gate

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion