The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Best Sounding Room In The House

What's your favorite room to play your guitar in your house? The one with the best acoustics.

For me, if I'm playing my usual fingerstyle fare, it's my small office - mostly drywall, not much to absorb the sound. If I want to stum hard, it's the living room - high vaulted ceilings, very open and a bit of echo.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 PM

My bathroom - mirrors, tile, the most wonderful natural short-decay reverb, and I don't have to worry about humidification...
Old 04-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

My favorite playing location is in the loft. The angled ceiling and combination of wood & plaster surfaces sound great and the light in the open space is very nice too. Since I don't have kids at home and my wife enjoys music this works out nicely.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-30-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:22 PM

The unfinished basement is my room of choice. When it's warm out, I'll play in our detached garage. (My wife would rather not hear me.)
Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM

I have my roughly 12x22 lesson room with comfy chesterfield, love-seat, La-Z-boy, area rugs, stucco ceiling, drywall, instruments on the wall, 4 windows, in other words lots of variety to the reflective and absorptive surfaces. It's actually surprisingly acoustically neutral and we've used it to record a couple of CD projects. The kitchen is next to it, but with the kids gone and the bride working, it's not an inconvenience. There's an exterior door so folks don't have to walk through the house. I can hide away and play all I want, generally seated towards one corner facing either a side or end wall.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 PM

Default best room

Flat and hard surfaces work best - one reason why folks like to sing in the shower. However, when you get several instruments going in such a room, it suddenly can get muddy and mixed-sounding.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:18 PM

The bathroom is usually best for me, with the solid surfaces.

That's where I'll record any open mic stuff I need to do. Can close the HVAC in there and not have much ambient sound to the room.

The loft/vaulted entryway Cape Cod style house is also a nice place to play. The space in front open up, and the guitar soundhole is about 8 or 10 feet above the laminate flooring of the entry hall.

Lets the sound waves reflect from well down from where they're creates. The ceiling opens up a little higher over the entryway allowing the waves to expand.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 AM

Kitchen. Wood floor, reflective walls, kettle and tea
Old 04-30-2017, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

We have an extra bedroom (12'x12') that has hardwood floors and a solid parquet wood ceiling. House was built in the 50's so I can't even imagine what it would cost to do that now Drywall walls. The acoustics are just phenomenal, even for a hack like me. My wife agreed to make that our 'music studio room'. I have 2 brother in laws that play guitar also. Whenever we jam, it's always at my house because they love playing in that room, too.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 AM

I hope this qualifies as a 'room'. (It does for me). Years ago my brother drove up to our lake cabin in the northeast from Dallas. He arrived around 2:00 am. To wind down he picked up a guitar and went to the end of our point which jetties out about 75' from the beach. To give him space, I remained on the porch. It was a dead quiet night. Not a ripple on the water. He played 'Black Muddy River'. Even though he was facing the lake and his back was to me and he was 100' away I could hear him clear as a bell. It was hauntingly beautiful. That 'room' on that night was magic. You just can't build it any better.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM

actually the kitchen as it is live and has a tall ceiling. rarely get to play there, tho.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 AM

I use my old garage. we tiled it. put a wooden ceiling in. Gave it a nice paint. popped a few mirrors up. and then put a longue suite, coffee machine, midi controller and guitar stands and well hangers. I love it

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Last edited by MikeBodd; 04-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 AM

All of the rooms in our house have slightly different acoustics. When I have friends over to play music, though, we play in the living room. It sounds really good.

Our old, smaller living room at our old, smaller house had terrific acoustics. We'd cram everybody in there asstoelbow, and it sounded GREAT! But we moved away from Anchorage out here to Darkest Chugiak, twenty miles north, so we could get a bigger house for less money. Been here ever since.

whm
Old 04-30-2017, 11:47 AM

Big garage with high ceiling.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM

I have not tried the bathroom. While I would record there if I needed to, I'm not spending hours playing to the toilet.

I like the kitchen the best. The end where I play is 12' wide (14 at the working end) and 23' long - all hard surfaces and right angles.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion