The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
And you're buying acoustic guitars sight unseen because????
Because you can frequently get great deals. I have bought two 3K guitars off ebay and they were fantastic.

This does happen from time to time but ebay is very good at the buyer putting in a dispute and getting his money back. That's what I would advise.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Buy from GC instead if your going to buy sight unseen

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 PM

That's a shame. I wonder who thinks they'll get away with this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Boxes can be dropped, showing no evidence of the impact (on the box), but the contents can be damaged.
Kind of like a contrecoup injury to the brain, I suppose.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_contrecoup_injury
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-27-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
There are some great deals out there if you look around and aren't afraid to believe in people with excellent feedback.

Last edited by dragon1952; 04-27-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 AM

I've bought a Taylor 614ce and a Martin d28 through Ebay plus a few cars etc etc. I always ask lots of ? and get detailed photographs and have only had one item a Martin case arrive with damage which I was offered a refund or £50 back which I took and fixed the case . I know from past experience "very good condition " etc means nothing , and that if its not as per description etc I can refuse to accept it .Hope you get sorted with your guitar as that looks like serious damage to me .
Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvan View Post
Already asked the seller to take it back, but he refused. Just have to wait a day or two more before I can escalate it into a case.
( He had good feedback 100%, that's why I made the purchase, but then again, what do you know )
I was thinking if he takes it back right away, I might not give him a negative feedback,but now he will definitely get one big *-* from me.
yep. I would too. Ebay's policy states that you get what they claim the item is, and it doesn't matter what disclaimers they try to use. if you're sellling a new xyz widget, then it had better be a new xyz widget.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvan View Post
Got this Taylor delivered to me two days ago, thought that I should share it here:

Guitar was described as " Amazing Condition" " Hardly any scratch at all"
( What I got was a big scratch that went into the wood, and numerous indentations on the top....)
Case was described as : " Fantastic Condition"
( What I have here is a "New Design" * convertible case top, broken hinge and lock, broken inside compartment )

One more strange thing, the seller told me that the guitar was professionally packed. Guess what: It was shipped by a box narrower than the width of the case, so it was put inside diagonally, ha ha ha.......
For me, buying online from "unknown person" is dangerous, but at least I will ask detailed photos on each side and if hesitate then i ask for more detailed one. I could be an annoying buyer but it's just for safety and no regret later, beside it's our rights to request the detailed photos on things we gonna buy, if they don't wanna do that then i skip. I would feel that he's hiding something..

so for me the best description is the latest actual pictures/photo, detailed pictures tells / describe a thousands words rather than just an "amazing condition" description which could be objectives to each person to another.

well...that's just me, hope you resolve this problem asap!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Hopefully you paid with PayPal...they almost always side with the buyer. File your dispute ASAP so they freeze the funds until a resolution has been made.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Hopefully you paid with PayPal...they almost always side with the buyer. File your dispute ASAP so they freeze the funds until a resolution has been made.
Agreed, Even better if paid through PP with a credit card. Multiple layers of protection.

I would add, not a "scratch that goes into the wood" - that's definitely a crack. I wouldn't mess w/the buyer any further just start a claim through Ebay, PP and if applicable, your CC.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-28-2017, 10:14 AM

Sorry for your misfortune and disappointment.

I'm sure PP will reimburse you for that misrepresented guitar.

Chin up!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:22 AM

I've bought three guitars on ebay--a MIM Tele got lost in shipping (I got my $$ back) I got another MIM Tele (awesome guitar at a great price) and a Taylor 314ce (awesome guitar at a great price).

There are great deals to be had if you know what to look for and take proper precautions. I'm sure the great deal I got on the Taylor was just because the pictures were so terrible. The guitar was practically brand new, but you couldn't tell it from the photos.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I tried GC a few times and received items with serious, undisclosed defects. Their return policy is liberal, but it's still a big hassle. I don't order through them any more.

I think Reverb is the ticket here...they have a similar business model to ebay, but they're willing to actively intervene if there's any problem at all and they won't tolerate scammers, crooked dealers. These guys are musicians running a site by and for musicians.

Too bad about the condition issues on the OP's Taylor. I don't know how much luck you would have getting ebay involved if the seller won't make it right, but at least, if you get stuck with this, you can send it to Taylor who will do an outstanding repair job for a very reasonable price.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
did the seller offer a return policy?

that would not be as advertised, and certainly a return would be justified....
Exactly, it was not delivered as described so the return policy is irrelevant. It is always the sellers responsibility to get the item, as described to the buyer. If the damage happened in shipping, than that will be between the seller and their shipper, they can sort that out after the buyer has been refunded.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Without seeing the ad, it's hard to know how to judge this. I've bought guitars via eBay myself, but only when there are pictures of the entire instrument, case, etc. I can't imagine how the used condition of that case would not have shown in pictures. There are always risks buying online, but they can be reduced drastically by only dealing with items that are fully documented in words and, especially, pictures. Never assume anything. "Excellent" does not have a legal definition; pictures > words.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion