The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Why aren't new guitars set up properly?

Hope I'm not starting a poop storm here, and I'm certainly not brand bashing - but I've noted that LOTS of brand new (high end guitars) at the store have a piss poor setup.

I understand that a $70 Jasmine S35 can't be expected to have a sweet setup out of the box (or ever), but it seems many guitars (even at $1000, $2000 or $3k+) have setups that leave a lot to be desired.

I was recently at GC and they were pulling a new Martin HD28 out of the box. I was kind of drooling so they handed it to me check out. The setup was terrible and the action was worse than my Jasmine was when it was new!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 PM

My guess is because not everyone likes their guitars set up the same way.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

That sounds unusual. Do you mean it wasn't set up the way you like it?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
yep......my thought, too
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Are there folks that prefer a high action and/or fret buzz???
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
That was the explanation I got from a dealer on a new higher end Martin I bought several years ago. Lots of extra saddle and room for tweaks so I could set it up to my liking once I got it. Some like very low action, some like it higher. In no time at all I had it just like I wanted it instead of what some person at the factory thought an unknown buyer might like.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

It makes sense to me that an HD-28 is generally going to be purchased/played for bluegrass and other hard strumming applications where higher action would be desirable...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Are there folks that prefer a high action and/or fret buzz???
It's typically one or the other, but not both.

That said, I've found Martin's factory action to be much better in recent years since they started using the PLEK for most production guitars. The very best have been the early Authentics, which were setup by the folks in the Repair Shop. That doesn't mean there couldn't be a problem with a particular example, or that the guitar might not have been properly cared for by the retail shop. Generally though, the nut slots are closer to perfect, the frets are level, and they don't normally have excessive relief. The PLEK process has help greatly in all those areas.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I've had the same question. I've heard many Martin lovers (not all) say that some Martins need neck resets when new. If you want to sell guitars do a good set up and take care of the fret edges. I thought the PLEK machine would take care of this but you can run a machine poorly.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-27-2017, 01:19 PM

As stated, everyone likes their guitar setup differently.

Also take in to account that while I live in Florida, others live in different climates. So a truss rod perfectly at a factory will probably need some adjustment after the guitar has acclimated to a different climate.

Also in play is string tension once the new owner decides on what gauge strings he likes on that guitar.

I also doubt a Bluegrass player would appreciate my setup of .092 on E, and .082 on the e using .12-.054 strings. While at the same time I would struggle with a Bluegrass setup with medium strings.

So it's best they go conservative and leave plenty of saddle and the nut slots not cut to low to allow each player to get the setup that best suits their needs.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Guest 728

Well, tgaume beat me to it, but I'll post anyway:

Guitars are put in the box where they are manufactured, then shipped around the world, where they might sit in a warehouse for awhile before being sent to the retailer, where it might languish in their storeroom.

A lot can happen to a set-up with the changes in humidity and temperatures in these various locations, so a set-up done prior to shipping would probably need to be re-done anyway.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
So it's best they go conservative and leave plenty of saddle and the nut slots not cut to low to allow each player to get the setup that best suits their needs.
Exactly - you can sand a bridge down but you can't sand it up.

YouTube
Old 04-27-2017, 01:27 PM

From my experience when I was doing repairs for a few stores back in the day, that's kind of what we thought too, that it's better to have higher action with adjustable to go lower for any one customer. But having said that, the poor part of the setup on most of these guitars was at the nut. I didn't know of anyone who would want high action at the nut. So I pretty much set up all guitars that came into the shop and truing up the nut was rudimentary except on Taylor guitars, they were always set up pretty well.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I've had the same question. I've heard many Martin lovers (not all) say that some Martins need neck resets when new. If you want to sell guitars do a good set up and take care of the fret edges. I thought the PLEK machine would take care of this but you can run a machine poorly.
The PLEK has nothing to do with the neck set. That process controls the relief, which is adjusted by the operator and measured by the machine, fret leveling and dressing, nut slots, and action height.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Default in defense of the lowly Jasmine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I understand that a $70 Jasmine S35 can't be expected to have a sweet setup out of the box (or ever) . . . .
I had an S35, and while the nut slots felt like they were half a mile too high at first, it was surprisingly easy to play after a setup. It worked the way it was supposed to, the intonation was good all the way up the neck, and the frets were level. I think I paid almost $100 for it, and it was a good buy. I ended up giving it to a beginner to learn on and did not feel like I was doing a disservice by giving her something unplayable.

More to the point of the thread: I always assume any new guitar is going to need a setup to play the way I like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion