The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Tuner with High Daytime Visibility?

It's getting to be outdoor show season for us here, and this spring I'm determined to replace my Boss TUs with something I can actually see in the daylight.

Recommendations? I'd prefer something with a small footprint.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

TC Electronics Polytune 2 or Polytune 2 mini (pedal tuners) or, if you want a clip-on, the TC Electronics Polytune Clip.

Big, bright displays, fast, accurate. I dumped my Boss TU-3 in favour of the Polytune 2 Mini. Small footprint, and superior in every way.

Be aware that the Polytune 2 Mini has no battery provision, it has to be powered from a 9v DC Power Supply.

Usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Turbo Tuner! Not only does it have bright red LEDs that I find quite visible in the sunlight, but it is in my opinion the best tuner around. Accuracy of ± .02 cents (!), and it locks on to the note incredibly fast. Far superior to the Peterson StroboStomp that I used before, at about a quarter of the size and a much lower price. And speaking of size, the Turbo Tuner Mini is, well, mini, but needs external power. If you need to use internal 9v batteries, the regular Turbo Tuner is still quite small.

http://turbo-tuner.com

(And since this is the second time I've recommended it in the last day, I'd better point out that I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, haha.)

Old 04-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Be aware that the first iteration of Turbo Tuner LEDs were not bright enough for direct sunlight. On an outdoor stage you probably won't be able to see it. The latest version made the lights brighter. If you are buying on the used market, and run across an older version, you may be disappointed.

I find the Peterson tuners all pass the direct sunlight test with no problems. I still use the StroboStomp I bought in about 2005. I picked up a used one for short $$ that I put on my other pedal board. Both still work fine but the model is discontinued. Again, Be aware that early versions of the Strobostomp had weak jacks. Peterson offered an easy board swap with upgraded jacks which they might even provide for a used tuner. The XLR DI out on the Stomp is usable too. The new version called the Stomp Classic has a great display but is lacking two features I really like, top mounted jacks and a DC courtesy outlet. So I stick with the StroboStomps.

My brother got me a Polytune for Christmas and it claims to be bright enough for sunlight but my take is marginal at best. I have to work to see it in the sun and if the sun angle is wrong, the glare will make it impossible. The tuning display works pretty well and I think if I was used to it, would be fine. I still prefer the Peterson but I have a lot of time in with it.

Also be aware that a lot of folks have problems with the higher accuracy and rapid display of strobe type tuners. To get best results minor changes in tuning methods can help. If you don't want to go that far, the trusty TU12 needle tuner gets it done in daylight. If they even still make em that is. Tuners are often the subject of debate bordering on religious fervor so I won't go down that road. I can say that a tuner at the 0.1% or 0.2 % accuracy range (Peterson, TC Polytune) will get you all the way there. Even at that level, it requires a little practice to manage.

hunter
Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Be aware that the first iteration of Turbo Tuner LEDs were not bright enough for direct sunlight. On an outdoor stage you probably won't be able to see it. The latest version made the lights brighter. If you are buying on the used market, and run across an older version, you may be disappointed.

I find the Peterson tuners all pass the direct sunlight test with no problems. I still use the StroboStomp I bought in about 2005. I picked up a used one for short $$ that I put on my other pedal board. Both still work fine but the model is discontinued. Again, Be aware that early versions of the Strobostomp had weak jacks. Peterson offered an easy board swap with upgraded jacks which they might even provide for a used tuner. The XLR DI out on the Stomp is usable too. The new version called the Stomp Classic has a great display but is lacking two features I really like, top mounted jacks and a DC courtesy outlet. So I stick with the StroboStomps.

My brother got me a Polytune for Christmas and it claims to be bright enough for sunlight but my take is marginal at best. I have to work to see it in the sun and if the sun angle is wrong, the glare will make it impossible. The tuning display works pretty well and I think if I was used to it, would be fine. I still prefer the Peterson but I have a lot of time in with it.

Also be aware that a lot of folks have problems with the higher accuracy and rapid display of strobe type tuners. To get best results minor changes in tuning methods can help. If you don't want to go that far, the trusty TU12 needle tuner gets it done in daylight. If they even still make em that is. Tuners are often the subject of debate bordering on religious fervor so I won't go down that road. I can say that a tuner at the 0.1% or 0.2 % accuracy range (Peterson, TC Polytune) will get you all the way there. Even at that level, it requires a little practice to manage.

hunter
This is exactly my experience too. I've always kept my Boss TU12 around for just this eventuality, even though I use Turbotuners for every other occasion - although I don't have the latest ST-300 version (yet). Like all the other Peterson tuners, the Stroboclip also works well in direct sunlight.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM

BOSS TU12 for playing outside - use the bright mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Be aware that the first iteration of Turbo Tuner LEDs were not bright enough for direct sunlight. On an outdoor stage you probably won't be able to see it.
If this year is anything like last, I'll have more than a few outdoor gigs at altitude (~8000').
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
If this year is anything like last, I'll have more than a few outdoor gigs at altitude (~8000').
Just to be clear, the lack of brightness only applies to the older Turbo Tuner models that you might find on the used market. The new versions are much brighter (along with other improvements and the choice of two sizes).
Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

D"Addario Soundhole tuner. It is inside your guitar, so, no daylight issues:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario...dhole-Tuner.gc

Steve
Old 04-27-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
D"Addario Soundhole tuner. It is inside your guitar, so, no daylight issues:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario...dhole-Tuner.gc

Steve
I play (at least) guitar, mandolin, and banjo live. Trying to share one tuner among all three in my rig. I also like the easy/quick mute that a tuner allows.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Turbo Tuner mini: ST-300m

Best **** tuner there is. I have the full size version because it has a few more options (internal dip switches), but the mini is great too.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM

Turbo Tuner Mini on my micro-board:

Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM

Thumbs up T.C. HEADSTOCK Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
TC Electronics Polytune 2 or Polytune 2 mini (pedal tuners) or, if you want a clip-on, the TC Electronics Polytune Clip.

Big, bright displays, fast, accurate. I dumped my Boss TU-3 in favour of the Polytune 2 Mini. Small footprint, and superior in every way.

Be aware that the Polytune 2 Mini has no battery provision, it has to be powered from a 9v DC Power Supply.

Usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Right on JayBee .

I had several that all had the same issue outside or on a stage with par can stage lights .

The clip has no issues at all in the sun unless it's reflecting the sun's image directly .

Quite happy with my clip on tuner and T.C. Helicon'S Voice Live 3 X .

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Thanks, all! I nabbed a little used TC mini on Reverb for pretty cheap.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:42 AM

AAaaaand, my first outdoor daytime gig today with the TC revealed it to have the following issues:

1) It ain't bright enough to see clearly in broad daylight at 8000 feet elevation between the hours of 1pm and 4pm, which is when I'll most often be playing in such conditions.

2) It makes a pop when I engage it. Like an unacceptable pop.

Is the ST-300 really the best in show here? I'll admit that the price has me worried--I'd hate to spend (currently) ~$150 on a tuner that's no more visible than the TC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification