The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 AM

Default Emerald Woodie Tenor Uke

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start a thread to see if there is interests in a Emerald Woodie Tenor Uke. Alistair has done some amazing work with the synergy uke but just can't help wonder if there are anyone like me who would love to see a Woodie Tenor Uke??? The x20s woodies I have me drooling for a mini version in a tenor uke. There must be some veneer scraps hanging around that could be put to good use.... ;-)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 PM

I would be interested in a tenor uke from Emerald, woody or otherwise.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Interesting idea. Emerald does some amazing and beautiful stuff. However, at the price point they'd have to charge for a CF with Woody veneer, the market is probably pretty limited. Ukulele really would not take much less work than a guitar, just somewhat less material.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:06 PM

I would love one, but I can get pretty good ukes for under $100 and though the benefits of CF are still there they are not as needed for a uke. I don't know that I would get a CF version unless I had a really good reason. I took a good long look at the Blackbird Clara before saying no so there definitely would be a niche market, but I am probably not going to jump on that train just yet.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 04-14-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Interesting idea. Emerald does some amazing and beautiful stuff. However, at the price point they'd have to charge for a CF with Woody veneer, the market is probably pretty limited. Ukulele really would not take much less work than a guitar, just somewhat less material.
Hi Earl,

I have been enjoying my Blackbird CF Tenor for years and just returned from Blackbird and had a chance to play the Tenor Ekoa and it was wonderful. Each of these ukes are over a 1k so there is definitely a market.. just ask Martin Guitars :-). The beautiful work that Alistair has been doing with his guitars and the Synergy Uke just had me thinking. Unfortunately, Emerald has there hands full at the moment but perhaps in the future...
Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Hi FG60, I understand the higher-end uke market just fine.

I've played the Blackbird ukes in CF and eKoa, dating back to 2010 and April 2016 at the Reno Uke Fest. I own a Lucky 13 Blackbird guitar, and thought seriously about an El Capitan before placing that L13 order. My plan was to be in Reno last weekend for the uke fest (Joe and Blackbird were exhibiting) but got really sick the day before leaving and just could not make the trip. So I did not get to see the new Savoy or the latest / greatest Blackbird tenor ukulele in eKoa. But I played a prototype last spring. I believe that smaller instruments have somewhat less need for humidity resistance, because there is less strain that can be accumulated by shrinking a top that is 9-10" wide versus one that is 16-17" wide. Therefore less likelihood of cracking the top, and less perceived benefit to be gained by going composite.

I realize that Blackbird is making truly excellent composite ukulele, but once you cross the ~$1200 price point, it gets progressively harder to sell ukulele - unless there is some serious flamed koa or special inlay work involved. My guess is that an Emerald woody ukulele would have to be at least $1800 to pencil out for Alistair. I'm not afraid to spend money instruments, but my most expensive ukulele is a $650 Big Island Honu model.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I realize that Blackbird is making truly excellent composite ukulele, but once you cross the ~$1200 price point, it gets progressively harder to sell ukulele -
Hi Earl,

I think you make a good point on the +1200 uke market but that is what makes emerald and Alistair such a special company. His designs and instrument offering are unique and do play to a special niche market. The Amicus, dual neck, harp guitars and to the point synergy uke (under $1300) are all great examples of niche products at what I would argue reasonable prices given the uniqueness of the offerings. It is a big market and value is very subjective. If there is ever a company to offer it it would be emerald.

Good conversation!!!
Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 AM

I own a Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor Uke, and an Emerald X7, so I would be VERY interested in a uke offering from Emerald. But if they go that route, they should offer it both with and without the woody option.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Right now I have a list of instruments I would like to develop and a Tenor Uke is in the top 10 but right now Im focusing on honing and perfecting the current line up as we haven't yet come close to tapping the potential of our existing models.
I have so many ideas but some times I have to restrain myself and stay focused.
But please dont stop making suggestions and discussing possibilities because its these sorts of discussions that sometimes can create a spark that lights a flame.
Alistair
Old 04-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanks Alistair for letting us know.... we will be here when you are ready to explore these instruments!!! You do an amazing job with your current lineup and can only image what you have up your sleeves.. Thanks for checking in on us!!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Guest 928

Spark!

Thin bodied, X7, nylon string, electric guitar. Fire!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Emerald Woodie Tenor Uke

Quote:
My plan was to be in Reno last weekend for the uke fest (Joe and Blackbird were exhibiting) but got really sick the day before leaving and just could not make the trip.
Earl, I hope you're feeling better!

And did you know that there is an ‘ukulele festival in Hayward on April 30?

I'm not sure who will be showing instruments that day… the website doesn't say… so I guess you'll have to ask Joe.

http://ukulelefestivalnorcal.org/index.htm
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Spark!

What Evan said!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
....did you know that there is an ‘ukulele festival in Hayward on April 30?
http://ukulelefestivalnorcal.org/index.htm
Mahalo, Uncle. I do know about that festival, and it looks wonderful, but I have never quite been able to go. (Reno is seven hours drive away. Hayward is another six hours beyond that, so quite the road trip). I have some dear friends who live in Hayward and others in Concord. Back when I still owned my Cessna, it would be a relatively easy four-hour flight to either Concord, Hayward Executive, or Pleasanton airports. I've made the Bay Area trip before. The vendor list does not seem to include any instrument makers, only food and crafts.

Unfortunately, I also have a friend from Alaska passing through here that weekend, and need to be home for his visit. Another year missed.....
Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Spark!

Another vote for Evan's suggestion. In Cocobolo!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber