The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd go for it on that basis alone...
Pulled the trigger on the Godin.

The Godin is what I was originally interested in. But the more research I did into different guitars, the more "distracted" I became. The Gretsch looked good at $599. Even though I missed out on that, I was able to secure a $650 offer. But.....it doesn't come with a case. The Godin does. Sooooo, I finally just decided to go with my gut, and with what I wanted to begin with.

And if the blemish is too bad, or there is some other flaw...I have 45 days to send it back. Win-win!

Thank you Steve, for all your help.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 AM

Alas....when looking at my invoice it appears this is the model with humbuckers instead of p90s....which was not specified in the listing. So it looks like it will be going back as soon as it arrives. Who knows how long before another one comes up at a great price.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 AM

The term 'hollow-body' covers quite a bit of territory....are you looking more for a jazz-box style or more of an electric/blues/rock...335-style?

The aforementioned Godins are indeed very nice. I also think that at their price point, Ibanez Artist series guitars are phenomenal. I especially like their MIC John Scofield/JS model for the price...also the single cutaway jazz-box guitars for just a few hundred.

I've heard quite good things about Epiphone Pro-series, though I haven't personally played one. The reviews on these are consistently good.

The only thing about MIC guitars from Ibanez or anyone else is that you need to check it over very carefully...I don't think they've quite sorted out their QC as yet.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
Alas....when looking at my invoice it appears this is the model with humbuckers instead of p90s....which was not specified in the listing. So it looks like it will be going back as soon as it arrives...
Plug it in before you do - you might change your mind...
Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Plug it in before you do - you might change your mind...
Definitely. It is supposed to arrive Wed. I'll fiddle with it, and my son in law is coming over Sat....he actually knows how to play, and will put it thru it's paces for me.

Do you have the p90s on yours?
Old 04-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Mine's a P-90...
Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Well, the Godin arrived today. Feels good in my hands. Sounds fantastic, even with my simplistic picking. I will have my son in law play it Saturday.

It is the model with humbuckers. I wanted the P-90s. I wonder if I could tell the difference? Or if it makes enough of a difference to send it back? I got it for $300 off the regular price...it was a blem guitar...the blem being 2 tiny finish bumps on the back of the guitar body. Hardly noticeable.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 AM

If you decide you don't like the 'buckers in there, you could swap one or both for Duncan P-Rail pickups...they fit in humbucker-sized cavities. I have one of these on a custom made Strat...replaced the DiMarzio X2N that was in there.

The Strat is something I had made back in the late 70s...a walnut body/maple neck hard tail with a single bridge humbucker wired with a switch to go series or parallel. With the P-Rail, it has all the bite and attitude of a really good P-90 and cleans up very nicely with the 2 coils in parallel...the Hot Rail adds another dimension of wicked bite when in series with the P-90. In parallel they almost sound like a really good Tele...very crystalline, transparent.

If you're unfamiliar with that pup, it's basically a P-90 wedded to a Hot-Rail; with the right switching, you can have either/or...or the 2 pups in series or parallel.

Here's one on reverb...

https://reverb.com/item/521363-seymo...1eDw_wcB&pla=1

HooBoy...options! There are always options...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-24-2017, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
Well, the Godin arrived today. Feels good in my hands. Sounds fantastic, even with my simplistic picking. I will have my son in law play it Saturday.

It is the model with humbuckers. I wanted the P-90s. I wonder if I could tell the difference? Or if it makes enough of a difference to send it back? I got it for $300 off the regular price...it was a blem guitar...the blem being 2 tiny finish bumps on the back of the guitar body. Hardly noticeable.
I was following this thread closely a few weeks ago as I'm trolling in the same waters. What's the verdict? Do you like the Godin with the humbuckers? Are you able to get the rockabilly (and other sounds) that you were looking for?

Rob
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
I was following this thread closely a few weeks ago as I'm trolling in the same waters. What's the verdict? Do you like the Godin with the humbuckers? Are you able to get the rockabilly (and other sounds) that you were looking for?

Rob
The humbuckers were fine, but I really wanted P90's, so I sent it back. But..........I was able to get an open box Godin with the P90s for almost the same price. I have it being set up right now and will have it back tomorrow.

It sounds great. I did not have it long enough (before getting it to the set up guy) to play around with it, so as for rockabilly, etc. I can only go by reviews I've read and the experience of posters like Steve who say this guitar CAN get just about any sound you need (except for heavy metal). Fit and finish were perfect. My only criticism is the action was too high and stock 12s are too heavy for my taste, but the setup guy will fix things.

I am VERY satisfied and believe I made the right choice. It is light, plays easy, and sounds fantastic. My son in law played the humbucker model before I sent it back (he is a very good player and has been in several bands). He is NOT a hollowbody guy...and he absolutely loved it.

Personally, I think you would be happy with the Godin....whether with the humbuckers or the P90s.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm currently going through another "mad love affair" with my single pickup Kingpin...it's all I want to play lately. I think it's the fact that it sounds good unplugged and plugged in.

The .12's might feel heavy, but they're perfect for that guitar...you might be surprised how easy it plays once the action is lowered (by the way, lowering action on an archtop is super easy)

Enjoy it! (and you made the right decision, the Godin P-90 is an excellent pickup)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
...The 12's might feel heavy, but they're perfect for that guitar...you might be surprised how easy it plays once the action is lowered (by the way, lowering action on an archtop is super easy)...
What Jeff said...
Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm currently going through another "mad love affair" with my single pickup Kingpin...it's all I want to play lately. I think it's the fact that it sounds good unplugged and plugged in.

The .12's might feel heavy, but they're perfect for that guitar...you might be surprised how easy it plays once the action is lowered (by the way, lowering action on an archtop is super easy)

Enjoy it! (and you made the right decision, the Godin P-90 is an excellent pickup)
I only backed it down to 11s (DR Blues, and I got a separate wound G to replace the unwound G in the DR Blues set). I can always go back up to 12s later.

I will post a pic once I get the guitar back from setup.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM

Pics are mandatory

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars