The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Default Elliot Capo users

I have a McKinney Elliot Capo that I've used for years. I think it's a great capo and worth the price so I'm not looking to start that debate here.

The McKinney uses a bail latch and the tolerance is so precise that it forms quite a snug fit. This is great but I find myself needing to use my fingernail to release it when I'm not holding a pick.

I'm about to order a second capo in a different radius and width. I'm looking into the Elliot with push button release.

For those who use the Elliot version or have used both. What do you think of the push button release vs bail latch?
Old 04-29-2017, 07:12 PM

I have used both. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the push button release. It works exactly as it should. I do not find latch the E/M hard to manipulate, and I like the more streamlined version of the gate latch.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I own both and appreciate the push button, but honestly I don't have a big problem with the bail latch. However, the bail latch is a little tight as you have determined. I have this lingering thought that the mechanics required to make the push button function might create an increased possibility for failure at some point (probably just in my head.) I will add that I also own two G7 Heritage capos and I like these at least as much and think the self adjusting cam that allows it to fit variable radii fretboard's is a nice feature. I find the bail on the G7 to be slightly easier to open. It's very well made. Elliott & G7 are both AGF sponsors.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-29-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post
For those who use the Elliot version or have used both. What do you think of the push button release vs bail latch?
I own both. While I prefer the cleaner look and simplicity of the latch, the button performs flawlessly. If the button was easier for me to use, I'd have no problem converting to it completely.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

My Elliott Elites have the push bottom releases, they work great.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Both of mine have the push button. Never a problem on or off. just push and it releases, just push the bar down and it locks in place. Couldn't be simpler. Takes up no space.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 PM

Two push buttons; very happy.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Here is a "close up" of these 3 capos for comparison. Notice the little extra extension on the G7 that makes flipping the bail catch easier (expand the image to get a better view). The G7 also has rubber padding on the sides of the yoke for added protection & the top bar has a self-adjusting cam allowing it to fit different fretboard radii. I like them all.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-30-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Here is a "close up" of these 3 capos for comparison. Notice the little extra extension on the G7 that makes flipping the bail catch easier (expand the image to get a better view). The G7 also has rubber padding on the sides of the yoke for added protection & the top bar has a self-adjusting cam allowing it to fit different fretboard radii. I like them all.
Thanks for the info on the G7. It dose look interesting. In your photo the G7 appears to be a bit bulky in comparison. I wonder what the weight difference is?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:21 PM

I only have the push button - works great.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the G7. It dose look interesting. In your photo the G7 appears to be a bit bulky in comparison. I wonder what the weight difference is?
The G7 weighs 29 grams, but I can't find any weight on the Elliott specs. They actually all feel very similar with regard to heft in my hand.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…For those who use the Elliot version or have used both. What do you think of the push button release vs bail latch?
Hi RBS

My McKinney/Elliott is over 10 years old, and it push button.

A friend owns the bail latch, and likes mine better. So do I…

It would not be a deal killer for me. I'd likely not be tempted to upgrade/change styles if I owned a bail-latch style.

Just loosen the screw half-turn and it'll pop down easier (my friend's does anyway).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

I own several Elliott Elites, all of which function perfectly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion