The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Default Which small mixer--Yamaha or Allen and Health

I am looking at getting a small mixer. I am considering the Yamaha Mg06x and also the Allen and HealthZED 6x. I guess Soundcraft is coming out with a similar small mixer sometime in June or so. All these seem like good choices. I am hoping I can get some good insights from some of you who might have one of these rigs or have heard or tried them out. I am leaning towards the Yamaha due to its compact size. I will be using the mixer for vocal and guitar. I might also just plug in a condenser mic at times. I already have a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer which is very nice and can use if I need more channels.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 PM

All of them are very nice. The Allen & Heath 6fx model does not have sweepable mid control. Neither does the Yamaha. I owned the Yamaha MG10UX, and I really liked it. Affordable and good quality gear.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-03-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 PM

I've had a Yamaha MG8CX for 5 years now and it's been great. My only gripe was the main outs are 1/4" unbalanced. The newer models, like the one you're looking at have XLR outs and have plenty of headroom to spare. I've had a Yamaha MG16XU for over a year now and it's great! The mic pre's are stellar. The Yamaha one knob compression is a nice feature--especially if you do palm muting or go crazy with vocals.

I'd go for the MG10XU that way you have extra channels down the road. You always use them eventually.

Can't help with the other ones.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
All of them are very nice. The Allen & Heath 6fx model does not have the sweepable mod. I owned the Yamaha MG10UX, and I really liked it. Affordable and good quality gear.
I don't think 6FX has sweepable mid.

However it does have integrated power supply with proper grounding.

As shown by the 3 little pins at the power supply socket.

Yamaha MG6X uses a wall wart.

It has a standard DC plug. So no grounding for this little mixer.

It also means you'll have to carry around the wall wart.

From my point of view, it would make the A&H my first choice.

PS: I've own a MG10XU and A&H ZED10FX. As far as sound is concerned both are fine.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I don't think 6FX has sweepable mid.

However it does have integrated power supply with proper grounding.

As shown by the 3 little pins at the power supply socket.

Yamaha MG6X uses a wall wart.

It has a standard DC plug. So no grounding for this little mixer.

It also means you'll have to carry around the wall wart.

From my point of view, it would make the A&H my first choice.

PS: I've own a MG10XU and A&H ZED10FX. As far as sound is concerned both are fine.

Good point. I hate wall warts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 PM

I've been using the Yamaha Mg06x for the last few years gigging with my duo. I really like its plate reverb. Otherwise everything works as it should and I have no complaints or superlatives to share. I'm not sure a thick mickey-mouse cable is really less bulk and hassle than the small wall wart.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I use a Yamaha MG124CX with my band, and I like it a lot. The thing that sold me on this over any other alternative I could find at the time is the 4 channels with the one knob analog compression control. Really handy for the vocal mics.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 AM

I have the Yamaha MG10XU and it seems good. But, it's the only mixer I've owned, so I don't have any standard of comparison.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:05 PM

I like that the Allen and Heath has individual circuit cards for each channel for better build quality and easier servicing if needed down the road, preamps from the GS Series of mixers (which are great), and tap tempo for the delay FX so you can beat time your delays in real time (I use that all the time on my ZED10FX), I also like the internal power supply. I have always had good luck with their mixers.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM

FWIW, I have both the Yamaha MG10XU and the Allen & Heath Zed 10FX. They are both great but I'm back to gigging with the Yamaha. Although I think the A&H is a higher-quality and more precise tool, I really like the small size and simplicity of the Yamaha---and the sound is still great!

You probably can't go wrong with either.

But I would also highly suggest getting a mixer with a mid eq, not just high and low; it'll come in handy.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
FWIW, I have both the Yamaha MG10XU and the Allen & Heath Zed 10FX. They are both great but I'm back to gigging with the Yamaha. Although I think the A&H is a higher-quality and more precise tool, I really like the small size and simplicity of the Yamaha---and the sound is still great!

You probably can't go wrong with either.

But I would also highly suggest getting a mixer with a mid eq, not just high and low; it'll come in handy.
But is there a mixer that small with mid eq? I can't seem to find it.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
But is there a mixer that small with mid eq? I can't seem to find it.

For mid EQ, both Yamaha and A&H force you into their 10 channel models. MG10XU and Zed10FX. The Zed has a sweepable mid and is arguably higher quality. It also weighs more and is slightly bigger. Yamaha reduces weight with a wall wart. And, Zed uses individual boards for each channel. Both have all the features you need, with Zed adding mid sweep and more precise control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 09:59 PM

I have 2 Harbinger L1202FX mixers that have been gigged hard on the road for almost 3 years and they have worked flawless. They are my loaners to fellow musicians. When I'm not performing and working as an FOH sound engineer, I use Carvin mixing boards.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...r-with-effects

http://harbingerproaudio.com/wp-cont...2FX_Manual.pdf

L1202FX 12-Channel Mixer With Effects
12 Channels, Built-In Effects and an Extraordinary Price
As the top of the Harbinger LvL Series, the L1202FX is the best value in compact 12-channel mixers. Designed for home/project recording and live sound mixing, the L1202FX offers all of the high-quality analog signal path and routing flexibility needed for serious recording, as well as plenty of simultaneous input sources for your band’s most important shows.

Flexible Routing and Features for Studio or Stage
The L1202FX starts with four LvL mic preamps, each with XLR and 1/4” TRS balanced/unbalanced line inputs, as well as four TRS 1/4” balanced/unbalanced stereo inputs with +4/-10dB sensitivity selection. This means you have plenty of room to accommodate a band with multiple microphones and instrument sources. In addition to main and control room outputs, the L1202FX also offers an aux send, and auxiliary inputs and outputs on RCA connections. Phantom power is provided so you can run your favorite condenser mics, and each mic input has a selectable 75Hz high-pass filter to help eliminate feedback and low-frequency rumble onstage. You also get great-sounding 3-band EQ, and even a full-size master fader for better control of your mix.

High Headroom, Clean Preamps
LvL Series preamps are ultra clean, offering amazing frequency response from 10Hz to 22kHz with less than a single decibel of variance. Even more impressive is their high headroom and very low noise; these mixers can handle impressively loud input levels without getting close to clipping. What all this means is that for live gigs, jams, and recording, what comes through is exactly what you put in, with a clean all-analog signal path that will sound great on stage or on your recordings. The L1202FX’s four preamps offers plenty of clean input gain so you’ll sound great at any volume.

DSP Effects Included
It can be very convenient to have onboard effects at your fingertips, which is why the L1202FX includes 16 effects and effect combinations, each with an adjustable parameter. They include room, hall, spring, and plate reverb, as well as chorus, flange, vocal doubling, and even tap-tempo delay, and combinations of the effects you’ll turn to the most. Whether you’re recording or onstage, the built-in effects of the L1202FX come in handy, and sound excellent.

FEATURES
• 12-channel mixer with a variety of routing options
• 4 LvL Series ultra clean mic preamps with XLR and ¼” TRS balanced/unbalanced line input
• 4 TRS ¼” balanced/unbalanced stereo inputs with +4/-10dB sensitivity selection
• Built-in effects including tap tempo delay
• Versatile 3-Band EQ
• 75Hz high pass Filter on mic inputs
• Aux Send
• Full-size master fader
• Control room output for studio monitors
• 48V phantom power
• Input gain on mic preamps
• Input Signal/Peak indicator LED
• Pan/Balance controller per channel
• 5-Segment LED main mix meter
• RCA input and output
• Headphone outputs
• Robust external AC power supply
• Rugged metal chassis

Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

If you want a mid control, look into the PreSonus StudioLive AR8.
A new series from them with a bunch of handy features including recording.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 PM

Thanks everybody for the replies. A couple of things: I have a Soundcraft EFX8--that has 8 channels and mid EQ. I can use that if and when I need more channels--like when some friends come over and we plug in. I am thinking of a smaller mixer to use for practice and then if I should go solo. I was kind of leaning towards the Yamaha due to the compact size. But I appreciate the info on the ZED channels being "individual". What I am hearing that I really like is that both units have good sound, no noise, etc. So...I'll be thinking this over and figure out what to get. I very much appreciate the input from everyone.

Last edited by firelakekid2; 05-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification