The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Glad they are finally ready! Looking forward to more hands on reviews. Looks great. Time to start saving my pennies!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Well yikes... I've been checking this thing out on the Blackbird site and it was love at first sight. Didn't know it wasn't readily available.

Anyway, I thought it would make a great guest guitar to compliment my GX and something to throw in The Jeep or take hiking, kayaking, etc.

Just not sure about that sound port. I didn't like it on the Levoria ~ I stuffed a rag in it ~ and it looks like the port on this guitar is too small to be converted to a beer holder.

Any thoughts on that?
Joe offered some plugs for the sound hole on other models, maybe he'll do the same for the Savoy.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Todd, a sound hole plug would be a perfect solution for my purposes. Thanks, I will check into that!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Sorry if I missed it....but what is the Savoy listing for? Thanks!
They are $2495 without, and $2695 with MiSi electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Interesting guitar. The specs show it is a bit smaller than the Lucky 13; a sweet spot scale of 24.5 on a small guitar is going to make it not feel cramped. The images on Blackbird's site don't show a detail shot of the back - I'm wondering what the shape is... flat? Rib bevel? What is the texture/feel of the back and sides? Smooth? Semi-gloss? Hard to tell from the photos.
I'll have some photos up later, but the back is arched, a bot more glossy than the top, and the entire guitar is silky smooth.

Quote:
Todd, a sound hole plug would be a perfect solution for my purposes. Thanks, I will check into that!
A plug will work if you want the option of being able to remove the plug, but as I said, we can order them without the sound port.

LA Guitar Sales - Facebook! - YouTube - 310.246.1933

Representing: Bedell - Breedlove - Blackbird - Composite Acoustics - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - McPherson Carbon Fiber - Larrivee - Lowden - Martin - Rainsong - Santa Cruz - Taylor
Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 AM

I had a Lucky 13 and it was a Great little guitar but I did not like the Soundport and put duck tape over it. I really think it should be a requested option rather than standard. As soon as I saw it on the new Savoy I was turned off. It makes the sound to much in your left ear, imo.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sharon, the sound port is a very popular option, so most dealers order Blackbird Guitars with them, but for future reference, keep in mind that you can omit the option if you don't mind waiting for a fresh build.

Representing: Bedell - Breedlove - Blackbird - Composite Acoustics - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - McPherson Carbon Fiber - Larrivee - Lowden - Martin - Rainsong - Santa Cruz - Taylor
Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM

Joe at Blackbird!! -- don't you have some El Capitans to finish up???

...SeanLewisMusic..>>..Find me HERE on iTunes

Composite Acoustics GX | Larrivee LV-03E | Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II | Breedlove N250CR
Godin Duet Ambience Nylon | 1965 Gibson LG1 | Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass | Fender American Standard Strat
Seagull SWS Maritime Mini-Jumbo | Guild B140 Acoustic Bass | Blackbird Rider Steel | Go Grande Mahogany | Godin A8 mandolin
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM

Can anyone give me an idea of what the neck is like on the Savoy?... profile, radius, etc. I am mostly used to the thin neck CA GX and a Strat (they are similar).

I also have an Emerald 1.75 X10N and a RainSong with an N2 neck. They're OK, but I am always happy ~ neckwise ~ to get back to the GX or Strat.

Curious how the Blackbird would fit into the collection.

Any thoughts or comparisons would be helpful.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Not having ever played the new Savoy, I can only comment in terms of my Rainsong N1 and the Blackbird El Capitan, Lucky 13 (own one), Rider, and Super OM (played them all). These all feel somewhere between a thinner Taylor neck profile and the new fuller N2 Rainsong neck. A bit toward the C-shaped profile, and very comfortable to play. Hope this helps.

Maybe Ted can chime in, since he probably has the only Savoy in captivity at the moment.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Can anyone give me an idea of what the neck is like on the Savoy?... profile, radius, etc. I am mostly used to the thin neck CA GX and a Strat (they are similar).

I also have an Emerald 1.75 X10N and a RainSong with an N2 neck. They're OK, but I am always happy ~ neckwise ~ to get back to the GX or Strat.

Curious how the Blackbird would fit into the collection.

Any thoughts or comparisons would be helpful.
The Savoy would be closest to the GX with standard 1-3/4" nut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber