The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 PM

Default 1989 Taylor 510 repair questions

My dad has a 1989 510 with some old fishman pickup (the type with the big square cutout on the side). It's in pretty good shape but does have some scuffs and scratches. Is there a way to refinish or buff out some of the marks? Or would it be better off just leaving it as it is? Also, I would like to upgrade his pickup but because there's a square cutout I'm guessing I'd have to get a pickup that can fit in the hole right?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM

The guitar can be refinished to look like new if that is what you would like to do. Even some dents can be steamed away. I would call Taylor and ask them to recommend a shop that could do the work.

Taylor offers an Expression System retrofit that places the controls in the same location as the Fishman or at least they used to. LR Baggs also offers a retrofit that takes advantage of the cutout for the Fishman electronics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion