The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Need suggestiins! Pickup for Vintage Epiphone Texan with Adjustable Bridge

I just picked up a 67 Texan and really like it's cool old tone. I'd like to electrify it but the adjustable bridge is a curveball for me. I've been using Fishman Matrix pickups for a long time in several guitars and really like them. UST pickups won't work in this guitar, though.

I'm kind of thinking one of these 3: K&K Pure Mini, LR Baggs M1 or Fishman Rare Earth. Anybody have a suggestion on which might be the best choice? Or a suggestion on something else entirely?

I don't like the idea of a soundhole pickup - not crazy about the looks - but might not have much of an option. And I hear so many good things about the Pure Mini, but I've never had one, so I'm not sure will like it (plus it doesn't seem like it's easy to remove if it doesn't work out).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Bump. Anyone?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:15 AM

I've got an old japanese guitar with an adjustable saddle, I had planned to put in a Baggs Anthem SL as a test for a new guitar I hope to soon purchase, but with the adjustable saddle, that option went out the window.
I went with the JJB-prestige 330, its basically the same as the K&K pure mini.
I'm very happy with it, sounds great, doesn't need too much tweaking of EQ, just a bit here and there, and its not that difficult to install, just make sure you take your time, and cover the guitar top in cling wrap to protect it from superglue.
In fact its pretty much made my decision for me that I may not need to go dual source K&K trinity in the new guitar unless I start playing out a lot more and really want to be a tone freak, and because I like the sound i get, as much as I like what I've heard in other peoples guitars with the Anthem SL, my experience here has me convinced this is an option I like and now I know what to expect in the future.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 AM

And by the way, I'm assuming when you say "adjustable bridge" you mean a height adjustable saddle? if there is another way of a bridge being adjustable, then maybe my comments are invalid.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 AM

I would recommend either the LR Baggs M1A, Fishman Rare Earth, or the LR Baggs Lyric. I have both the Rare Earth and the Lyric and really like both. A lot of people will also tell you the K&K Pure Mini as well. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them though.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 AM

Default Need suggestiins! Pickup for Vintage Epiphone Texan with Adjustable Bridge

Pure Mini is a great pickup and a good place to start. I've heard many samples of the Rare Earth and have mixed front of house where guitarists are using them and they are very good - some don't like the magnetic character as much but to be honest, unless you're listening to a guitar acoustically up close then very little is going to sound 100% like your guitar only louder as Taylor used to say... Why not try the Rare Earth Blend with mic that picks up the natural sounds and gives air to the sound?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 PM

Thanks a lot for the thoughts/opinions!

I think I'm going to try the k&k. The magnetic sound hole pickups are my least favorite sounding. The blending system might be a good route, but I don't know if I want all that stuff in my guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification