The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Default Vocal Harmonizer Pedal Recommendations?

I'm thinking about picking up one of those vocal harmonizer pedals to use in my solo act. Can anyone comment on one?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:06 PM

I have an older TC Electronics that has served me well for about five years gigging regularly. You could probably pick one up easily and cheaply now that TC has come out with several others. Mine works fine if your guitar is in perfect tune and you provide a good signal to the Harmonizer. It also has vocal effects that are nice and its very easily programmable for a set of songs. You can have one or two harmonizers and there are six different harmonies available for each harmonizer. Its great for Eagles and other harmony driven groups. I hear from a lot of people that they love the sound that it provides.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 AM

I use a TC Electronics Harmony G-XT. It's a couple of years old and has been replaced by newer technology in TC's line.

My advice:

1. Sing as clearly and cleanly as you can.

2. Use single harmonies sparingly and three-part harmonies even less.

3. Mix the harmony level low. It should add just a suggestion - not cover up the lead vocal.

4. Get it in and out quickly. By the time the audience notices that there is a harmony line, it should be back to the lead alone. It should be like a little bit of dipping sauce, not smothering the whole meal. I listen carefully where the harmony is in the recording (if it's a cover) and pare it back to the essentials. Less is more.

5. Make sure the guitar is absolutely in tune with the tuner on the pedal.

6. Make sure what you are playing on guitar has a clear third in it. Avoid suspended 2nds and 4ths.

7. Simplify you're accompaniment while you are singing with the pedal harmonies.

8. Don't let anyone look down their nose at you. It's harder than it looks.

Mike
Old 10-26-2014, 05:42 AM

I use a TC Electronics Harmony Singer - smaller footprint on my pedal board but still excellent quality and simplicity. I previously had a TC Electronics Harmony XT. TC has improved the quality of the voices from prior versions. Once consideration might be to use one of the newer versions that also has pitch correction. The Harmony Singer does not.
You just have to sing well or you will hear three people singing badly!
They are an excellent tool if not overused. I like to add them on chorus parts and occasionally on lines in songs where there are definite signature harmony parts.
Good luck with your quest,
davidc
Old 10-26-2014, 07:27 PM

That's the plan. I just want an occasional 3rd or a 5th in there on a few tunes. I heard a guy the other night use one and it sounded killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
2. Use single harmonies sparingly and three-part harmonies even less.

3. Mix the harmony level low. It should add just a suggestion - not cover up the lead vocal.

4. Get it in and out quickly.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I have the DigiTech Voice Live 3 and I'm very impressed with it. The harmonies are rich and natural sounding, but the thing that I really like is that I can use it to make my voice sound much richer that it does naturally. It has great EQ and a tube simulated preamp that really makes me sound better that I do going straight into the board. I only use the harmonies for choruses on a few songs.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM

To make your voice sound richer than it is, such as the doubling feature on some harmonizers, you can also sing melody but with just a touch of a third above harmony or a lower one. If you keep it mild, it just sounds like your voice is richer and fuller. I do this in all my gigs and people comment that they really like the sound, although very few know why. Its not because I am good vocalist, though I do sing on key, but because I use the harmonizer like this some. Yes, you have to adjust the pedal mid song which is a vote for the harmonizer pedals that can store settings. TC makes the best by far IMHO.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 AM

I have the TC El. Harmony Gxt pedal. It works great. Sounds the best with two real voices then add 1 or 2 harmonies for a 4 part harmony. My guitar plugs directly into the pedal. It has a built in tuner that you should use. Forget the harmony feature it is a great vocal processor. My vocal sounds great through my old acoustic amp. It is the only pedal I am familiar with. There may be others as good?

RPK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification