The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 PM

Default LR Baggs Venue DI versus Fishman Platinum Pro Eq

Looking for some info from anyone who owns one of these preamps. I play high end acoustics with good equipment. I know about other preamps so here I am just comparing these two. If you can help, that would be great.

Thanks in advance...............
Old 10-21-2014, 03:53 AM

The Fishman Platinum Pro Eq has now been discontinued according to the website.

I used to use an early version of this for yeas and it did its job particularly for short spots where there was no time to set up properly. The eq settings were easy to use and to dial in a standard set up. I never found the notch filter of the phase several switch to be me of much use. I used to use a metal version which was bomb proof and I got put off a bit when they went to plastic.

The Venue is a DI as well and I like the fact it has an XLR out. The foot switch might be useful to some people but not me.

What I did like about the early Fishmans was that I could attach them to a belt which gave me quick access to the eq in quick set ups — if in doubt I would be heavy on cutting the mids.

These days I am a great fan of the Headway preamps which are wonderful value for money. The EDB 2 is a serious piece of kit for when you have time to set up. The smaller EDM-1 works for me in a way that the Fishham use to. It is a small device that can easily clip onto a belt. it sounds fantastic and is easy to set up for your guitar.

Fishman have now taken similar path.

the new, small, Stage Preamp looks a great product for use on a belt.

The Platinum Pro is a more fully featured piece of kit although unlike the EDB-2 i doesn't have an EXLR input for blended signals.

I suspect you need to think about how you use it. For playing live when you have time to setup the Venue might be better, but for quick and fast amplification and eq setting the Fishman Stage might do the job.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:58 AM

I have the Venue pre-amp..I just got it last week so I'm new to it, but I love all the features of it. I'm also getting the Ditto X2 Looper Wednesday. I'll be able to record and play a loop and then set the eq on the Venue while my loop is playing. That way I'll only be hearing what's going thru the pre-amp from the Lyric pickup in my guitar.

I'm very happy with the foot switch operated tuner. I really like the 9db boost footswitch....

I have a cable plugged into the XLR out that goes directly into my computer for recording...love it !!

The only feature the Venue doesn't have vrs the Fishman is a built in compressor. That would have been nice but I'm getting by just fine without it. I may add a compressor foot switch to my rig, don't know yet.

I did buy a 9 volt/110 volt adapter so I don't have to deal with weak or dead batteries. I also bought a 6 outlet power strip and have everything in my rig plugged into it, and can power down everything with one switch.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
The Fishman Platinum Pro Eq has now been discontinued according to the website.

I used to use an early version of this for yeas and it did its job particularly for short spots where there was no time to set up properly. The eq settings were easy to use and to dial in a standard set up. I never found the notch filter of the phase several switch to be me of much use. I used to use a metal version which was bomb proof and I got put off a bit when they went to plastic.

The Venue is a DI as well and I like the fact it has an XLR out. The foot switch might be useful to some people but not me.

What I did like about the early Fishmans was that I could attach them to a belt which gave me quick access to the eq in quick set ups — if in doubt I would be heavy on cutting the mids.

These days I am a great fan of the Headway preamps which are wonderful value for money. The EDB 2 is a serious piece of kit for when you have time to set up. The smaller EDM-1 works for me in a way that the Fishham use to. It is a small device that can easily clip onto a belt. it sounds fantastic and is easy to set up for your guitar.

Fishman have now taken similar path.

the new, small, Stage Preamp looks a great product for use on a belt.

The Platinum Pro is a more fully featured piece of kit although unlike the EDB-2 i doesn't have an EXLR input for blended signals.

I suspect you need to think about how you use it. For playing live when you have time to setup the Venue might be better, but for quick and fast amplification and eq setting the Fishman Stage might do the job.
Quick correction for Andy. It isn't that the venue is a DI as well and has an XLR output, the XLR output is the "DI out" or "balanced out" which is different from the quarter inch "unbalanced" out. I think the Fishman had a TRS balanced out though but I can't remember. They have other DI boxes though.
As far as comparing features and sound, I can mostly say that they do many of the same things but I believe the Venue DI does them better and is a more durable unit! It has a great sound right out of the box but gives you some very useful tunable mid range and notching features. I for one love the boost feature and the tune/mute as well. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM

It's a little hard to compare at this point since the new Platinum Pro EQ was just released. However, I had the original Platinum Pro Eq and it was excellent and I preferred it to the Baggs Venue and Para Di. The new Platinum Pro also looks to have more features and I would bet it has a tuner that actually works well. The Venue's tuner is garbage IMO.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM

The Venue's tuner works well for me. It's far from being "garbage".
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's a little hard to compare at this point since the new Platinum Pro EQ was just released. However, I had the original Platinum Pro Eq and it was excellent and I preferred it to the Baggs Venue and Para Di. The new Platinum Pro also looks to have more features and I would bet it has a tuner that actually works well. The Venue's tuner is garbage IMO.
Yeah, I've had no trouble with the tuner either. The only thing that took some getting used to was the auto shut-off feature which I guess was put in the design to save battery life. Once I understood how it worked I've had no problems with it.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
The Venue's tuner works well for me. It's far from being "garbage".
I just find the Venue's tuner to be very annoying in a live setting. My friend owns a Venue as well and has the same issues. I also remember it popping up in reviews. I just find that sometimes the tuner won't pick up the strings or it slows down.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I just find the Venue's tuner to be very annoying in a live setting. My friend owns a Venue as well and has the same issues. I also remember it popping up in reviews. I just find that sometimes the tuner won't pick up the strings or it slows down.
I haven't had that problem. I'm using the Venue strictly in a home studio environment. It's been working great for me. I had a cheapo clip on tuner that was indeed garbage, and that's history now, as I don't want it to damage my headstock. I also have a tuner that plugs into the guitar...also outdated. So this Venue tuner is the best I've ever had...tunes my guitars up with no problem and they sound great. Even double dropped D tunings sound great. I found it to be very easy to use, and very accurate too. All I have to do is step on the footswitch, it mutes my guitar and goes into the tuner mode. When I'm done tuning, step on the foot switch one more time and I'm ready to rock and roll.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-22-2014, 09:00 PM

I just tried tuning up my 12 string with the Venue's tuner, and it came out perfect !! 12 strings are notoriously hard to tune sometimes...this did the trick in no time !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I'm a long-time Fishman PRO EQII user who ordered their newer Pro EQ Analog Preamp from Sweetwater last week. This one:

http://www.fishman.com/products/view...-analog-preamp

Sweetwater says they'll ship by end of October. I will post a review with sound clips once I get it.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
I'm a long-time Fishman PRO EQII user who ordered their newer Pro EQ Analog Preamp from Sweetwater last week. This one:

Sweetwater says they'll ship by end of October. I will post a review with sound clips once I get it.
Please do.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post

+1
I look forward to an early review as i'm very interested in the new pro eq
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 AM

It doesn't look like it's been discontinued. This is from Fishman's site this morning:

And here's their list of discontinued products, in which it also is not listed.

http://www.fishman.com/products/discontinued
Old 10-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
It doesn't look like it's been discontinued. This is from Fishman's site this morning:

And here's their list of discontinued products, in which it also is not listed.

http://www.fishman.com/products/discontinued
My guess is that Andy was referring to the old 'Platinum Pro EQ' that has been discontinued. It's in the list of discontinued products from your post. Here's the product page: http://www.fishman.com/products/view...num-preampeqdi

The new 'Platinum Pro EQ Analog Preamp' (the first link in your post) is the one we're hoping to hear about soon. Should be hitting stores soon.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification