The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Carvin AG200 as bass amp?

I am looking to get an amp for our church. I am playing bass for our Godspell production, so it needs to handle bass.

I thought the AG200 might be versatile enough to handle bass, guitar, vocals, prerecorded music, PA duties.

Is that asking too much from this unit?

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
I am looking to get an amp for our church. I am playing bass for our Godspell production, so it needs to handle bass.

I thought the AG200 might be versatile enough to handle bass, guitar, vocals, prerecorded music, PA duties.

Is that asking too much from this unit?
Hi jdl...

Haven't really heard 6.5" speakers which handle bass guitar that well.

As for using an acoustic amp as a monitor, I've seen it done, but avoided doing it personally.

I'd think something with a bit more cone size would be best.

Obviously you can try anything and see if it works, but if I were given the assignment to find an amp for the church, I'd look for something with at least an 8" woofer for guitar, and 10" or bigger for bass.

I use UltraSound AG-50 (and AG-15) for stage work, but not bass work. For that my gigging partner (a bassist) uses 12".

I'd think a 12" two or three way amp would sound better with an acoustic guitar than a bass would with 6.5" coaxial speakers. In fact, Carvin builds such animals...good ones.

I'd think their micro-bass system with the 10" woofer and titanium driver would probably do what you are asking, and at less cost than the Acoustic amp you listed. I realize it's a bass amp, but it's got tone controls out the ying/yang and since it's about compromises, I think I'd opt to have an amp which can handle the orneriest thing best, and let other instruments fall into place around that.

A 12" two or three way system is like ˝ of a PA system, and about everything sound good through those (including keys and vocals). Probably make a great monitor on stage...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-31-2014, 10:07 AM

Thanks, LJ.

Just looking at the Carvin AG300, and it has a 12" speaker along with a 6.5" and a titanium tweeter. It lists bass as one of its features.

I'll check out the others you mention.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, LJ.

Just looking at the Carvin AG300, and it has a 12" speaker along with a 6.5" and a titanium tweeter. It lists bass as one of its features.

I'll check out the others you mention.
Hi jdl...

There are usually several options which will work, and if you are using it for multi-purpose, then there are compromises to be made.

Glad you are taking the time to think it through. If you choose carefully a good acoustic based amp can work for about everything, including keys, bass, guitar, and at least jazz electric (clean playing).

Hope you find the monitor of your dreams...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
...Just looking at the Carvin AG300, and it has a 12" speaker along with a 6.5" and a titanium tweeter. It lists bass as one of its features...
+1 for the AG300 - the MB12 bass version has been my go-to for a few years, and had the AG300 been available back then I would have opted for it instead. Be advised, however, that the speaker combination is very "modern" sounding - in-your-face forward with strong mids - so unless you're playing a P-Bass or Gibson EB-3 with medium/heavy flatwounds (as I do) you might want to look into the possibility of adding the matching 115MBE 1x15" bottom if you're looking for a more "period-correct" tone...
Old 11-14-2014, 02:29 PM

Went ahead and ordered the AG300. It arrived and I've played bass through it a couple of times. Nice sound, good volume, compact with a boatload of features. So far, I'm impressed.

As I said in another thread, I don't think it is as good as a dedicated bass amp, but it has the versatility to handle many things well.

Haven't really done much with acoustic guitar through it yet, but I predict it will serve that purpose well. I'll update this thread when I have more to say.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification