The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2014, 09:00 PM

Default Volume Pedal Mod?

I only play acoustic, but perhaps this question is better placed in the electric forum? Anyway, here goes:

Background - assembling my first pedalboard, nothing extreme, just some options for altering my output as changes of dynamics and band mix occur: a little chorus to add some edge for cutting through when our drummer is heavy-handed, some reverb to add weight when my strumming needs some extra "chug," a bit of delay for an occasional sparkle when fingerpicking.

Signal chain - J45>> Elevation SBTs >> RedEye (all pedals in effects loop) > PolyTune 2 > Corona Chorus (buffered bypass) > EB Vol Ped Jr 25K > HoF Reverb > Flashback Delay > Ditto X2 Looper >> XLR out to house PA

The Problem at Hand - Never used a volume pedal before, just wanting to develop a use of swells. Problem I'm having with the pedal is just that it seems to do all its work in the front third of its motion, so that most of the movement heel to floor takes place after the sound is muted.

So I read on some tech forums that recommend adding a 10K resistor to smooth out the taper, which sounds like at least the end result I want. I've got a background in doing basic electrical repair, just no experience in small electronics - should the resistor just have a fixed setting, or does it require a potentiometer of some sort? Or am I just out of luck for smoothing out the pedal?

Many thanks from an "effected" newbie!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Go over to TheGearPage, they have LOTS of threads on volume pedals and mods, etc.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM

McS:

You could try the resistor trick and see if it gives you what you want- it's usually used to correct the tapers on audio pots or to make log pots anti-log. Usually, the resistor bridges the central wiper lug on the pot and the lug where the input enters the pot. If you've got wire leads with clips handy, you could try a resistor from the middle to either end and see how it affects the throw. You could go to your local Radio Shack or electronic shop and pick up a few values, 22K, 15K, 10K (1/4Watt) and try them to see how they affect your taper.

Pot tapers on modern pots can be irritating. Some come suddenly on at "3", some have a weird taper at the end of the rotation.

I know this isn't much help, but if I can help I'll be happy to. Regards and Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Thanks, y'all - after a good bit more surfing YouTube and such, I recognized the pedal's throw is actually the standard action for the current EB model, and it's performing like the stock version is supposed to. Still don't like the sound, still love the feel - so I'm going with the Analog Man taper mod which at least demos to spread the taper over the full motion of the pedal, instead of spiking or caving at either end.

It probably wouldn't hurt as a project, but I'm still pretty peeved at myself for the last personal build I started into that sunk some money (and new tools that remain unused) into an unfinished and unusable end product.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 AM

I'm not that familiar with the innards of that particular pedal, but the good thing about volume pedals is that usually you can replace the pot entirely without too much bother.

Don't feel too badly about it. I have an old volume pedal on my electric board. When the original pot went south, I had to audition several replacements just to find a suitable throw. For whatever reason, while technology has advanced over the years, the makers of pots in the 50's, 60's and 70's could still make pots that had wonderful tapers, while the modern day pots seem to have tapers with hiccups in them.

Good Luck, Bill.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShepherd View Post
Thanks, y'all - after a good bit more surfing YouTube and such, I recognized the pedal's throw is actually the standard action for the current EB model, and it's performing like the stock version is supposed to. Still don't like the sound, still love the feel - so I'm going with the Analog Man taper mod which at least demos to spread the taper over the full motion of the pedal, instead of spiking or caving at either end.

It probably wouldn't hurt as a project, but I'm still pretty peeved at myself for the last personal build I started into that sunk some money (and new tools that remain unused) into an unfinished and unusable end product.
Let me know how this turns out, as I use the EB Vol pedal Jr and I use it daily!

This is the one I use... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...e-volume-pedal
Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

Yup, got the Analog.Man-modded 25K Jr in today, it's just what I wanted, no need for active electronics or an onboard buffer, just a $20 taper mod to even the volume swell over the full travel of the pedal.

Woot!

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM

I'm also looking for a volume pedal but I always get confused, is the 25k Ernie Ball Jr the high impedance or low impedance one? my question is, if you run the volume pedal after another pedal or preamp (even though I haven't got the preamp yet) but before the delay and reverb etc, are you better off with the high or low impedance one? ie is the output from the first pedal/preamp high or low impedance?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:53 PM

25K is 25 kOhms resistance -
The 25K I use needs to follow a buffered pedal for power, and it's recommended for use in an effects loop; per Ernie Ball's description, it's "for active electronics" because it is passive. I opted not to go with an onboard powered buffer mod because some have been critical of noise introduced by active circuitry.

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 11-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Let me know how this turns out, as I use the EB Vol pedal Jr and I use it daily!

This is the one I use... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...e-volume-pedal
+1

Never had an issue with mine either..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification