The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2014, 01:25 AM

Default Went 100% Wireless

I went 100% wireless today. I realize the needed equipment is not cheap (even when bought as Used) but IMO it's some of the best $$$ I've spent in some time. Spent about $1600 total ... not too shabby I would think

First to go was the hand held Mic; replaced it with a Shure ULXS4 system with headset (I also use a Mic Mechanic), then a Line-6 Relay 90 made the guitar cord disappear (I also use a TC Electronic G-Major and a Digitech ISP 33B is also used if I'm playing electric guitar) and today I installed an Audio-Technica 3M In-Ear system into the rack. The ear buds that came with the AT-3M system were horrid so I tossed them back into the box and I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 headphones. All of this pumps into a rack mount Rane MLM42S 4 channel mixer I acquired for cheap on ebay and then the output runs to the AT-3M

I'm pleased to announce that the phonic nuances, tonal quality and overall pro level sound tends to transport me to the land of audio nirvana awesomeness

Another advantage to this system is, I'll have the exact same sound coming into my ears whether playing at home or on stage.

I've read many (legitimate) grips about In-Ear monitors being crummy unless one spends a few hundred for them (or a thousand or two) and I say, be rid of them all together and use headphones, even on stage. I've tried a few different in-ear buds and I ran into the same problem others have experienced ... the buds would not stay fully inserted and soon worked their way out, enough to cause the bass to diminish and make the sound rather tinny - or worse. Not so with the headphones.

I like that I can now play to my heart's content while not disturbing the neighbors at 2 AM and to have the freedom to move around the room without tripping over chords, having them tangle, etc and this rack system is easily patched into any House PA or what have you and, the rack case is of the rolling variety (work smarter, not harder )

100% wireless ... Try it, you might like it
Old 10-28-2014, 02:30 AM
Guest4562

When I used to play rock and country in various bands, I went wireless. But nowadays I have no place I really need to go, so the wires work fine for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 AM

My last band's bass player went wireless, which let him walk out to the board and adjust the mix during soundcheck. IEM's are great for lowering stage volume and feedback potential, too. I'd go that route, but I've already invested pretty deeply in wedges, power amps, etc.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 AM

We used the Shure IEM system in my Beatles band, but I sold off my buds and receiver pack when the band broke up. The $100 Shure SE215 buds are best for the money, and come with an assortment of foam and rubber pieces to get the right fit for your ears. The advantage of IEMs is they cut out a lot of the volume when playing in a band situation. I don't think I'd want that in an acoustic or solo gig. I know I wouldn't want to wear headphones when playing out! I used cordless headhones at home when I first started using my computer for doing music, but found the latency and lousy sound a real detriment.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
We used the Shure IEM system in my Beatles band, but I sold off my buds and receiver pack when the band broke up. The $100 Shure SE215 buds are best for the money, and come with an assortment of foam and rubber pieces to get the right fit for your ears. The advantage of IEMs is they cut out a lot of the volume when playing in a band situation. I don't think I'd want that in an acoustic or solo gig. I know I wouldn't want to wear headphones when playing out! I used cordless headhones at home when I first started using my computer for doing music, but found the latency and lousy sound a real detriment.
I think the latency is due to the Bluetooth technology but I haven't spent any time to research this. Thanks for posting the Shure SE215 buds, I'll check them out
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM

I play in an acoustic band and frankly do without monitors as a whole.
I never really liked them.As both the sound engineer and performer .I find they give a false perception of what is actually being presented to the audience.
If i can't hear what is truly out front ..I can't adjust what i am doing to "fix the mix" if you will. Just my 2cents..I did however find a really good wireless
guitar system that i love for acoustic. It wasn't cheap..But for what i do(that performer and sound engineer job) It is great ..lets me go out in the audience to hear whats going on with the mix.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I play in an acoustic band and frankly do without monitors as a whole.
I never really liked them.As both the sound engineer and performer .I find they give a false perception of what is actually being presented to the audience.
If i can't hear what is truly out front ..I can't adjust what i am doing to "fix the mix" if you will. Just my 2cents..I did however find a really good wireless
guitar system that i love for acoustic. It wasn't cheap..But for what i do(that performer and sound engineer job) It is great ..lets me go out in the audience to hear whats going on with the mix.
To the OP, sorry, I can't imagine playing with or seeing a performer playing with headphones on. Seems pretty disconnected, I guess, from the audience.

And to the above, I get what you're saying about not hearing exactly what main speakers are putting out, but with no monitors, you have even less of an idea what the audience is hearing, don't you? I mean, you don't sing or play the whole gig out in front, do you? A decent sound engineer should be able to let you hear a pretty good approximation of your levels in the whole mix, too, I'd think... Oh well, to each his own and I'm glad it's working for you.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
To the OP, sorry, I can't imagine playing with or seeing a performer playing with headphones on. Seems pretty disconnected, I guess, from the audience
IMO as long as I can hear them and respond accordingly, what should they care if I wear a full set of headphones?

I don't think the audience will mind ...
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I use a Sennheiser wireless unit for my guitars and bass and love it. No worrying about tripping over wires. Really good range and sounds great.

Can't imagine using headphones though when live in front of an audience. My two cents of course.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
..... what should they care if I wear a full set of headphones? I don't think the audience will mind.
Well I doubt they'll file complaints with the Musicians' Union or anything, but come on... for a performer, I think it looks a little goofy. Just my .02.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification