The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Should I put a bone nut on my Gibson?

I've got a J-45 Standard that comes with a Graphtech nut. Should I have a bone nut installed in its place?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Why are you asking?

Unless the nut is damaged, I'd leave it alone. To me nuts are string guides and little more - unlike saddles, there is no tonal advantage that I can hear between bone, ivory and composites like Tusq.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM

In my opinion, Graph tec is alot more reliable than bone, I'd leave it the Graph Tec

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"

Last edited by kscobie8; 12-08-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: thread title changed
Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM

I think most of the guitar builders here would agree that the material used for the nut has a minimal effect on tone... as long as it's hard and the right height. Gibson has been using Tusq for its guitar nuts ever since it opened the Bozeman factory, without any deleterious effect on tone. Nor are they the only maker to employ Tusq for their guitars' nuts.
This is one "repair" you probably don't have to make. "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM

my j 45 john hiatt came with a bone nut ,tusq saddle.I put in a bone saddle a few ago happy so far.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork24ce View Post
my j 45 john hiatt came with a bone nut ,tusq saddle.I put in a bone saddle a few ago happy so far.
Love that photo. Tried another John Hiatt model recently and was very tempted.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Whippersnapper

In accordance with our forum rules, the thread title has been changed for appropriateness, and related posts edited/removed.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Please keep in mind that we have members of all ages. In addition to what's listed above, please do not post messages or images that are obscene, vulgar, or sexually-oriented,
Thanks!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 PM

I don't necessarily agree with the consensus that a Graphtech nut is better than a good piece of bone, or that the nut material has minimal effect on tone.

I'd give Bob Colosi a call & talk it over with an expert - he'll guide you well.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 PM

The AGF Member - Luthier who works on my guitars 'insisted' on replacing the nut in my 00017s with a new bone saddle this weekend. Took his advise as always and am extremely happy. Was skeptical about my ability to hear a difference, but once again, wrong. The guitar is now brighter and a bit more clear. Very nice for this very warm sounding hogtop. Can't say its right for everyone or every guitar, but I feel like this has added something just like preferred strings and preferred picks.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM

The answer to this question is really simple. Give it a try. Changes like this are not permanent and if you like the change then keep it. If you don't like the change, change it back.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 PM

Nuts only affect the tone of open strings. My experience has led me to greatly prefer bone saddles over synthetics, but nuts I can take or leave. Then again, I play capo'd often so half the time there isn't a single note that's even affected by the tone of the nut. If you're a cowboy chord-type player, and are displeased with the tone of your open strings - why not? It's a simple enough replacement, and totally reversible if you're displeased.

I've only replaced nuts when I needed to revamp the setup (e.g. radical change of string gauge, nut butchered by previous owner, etc), but when I do, I always spring for bone.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM

My experience has been that saddles have the most important effect on tone, nuts have less but it's still discernible, and bridge pins have the least effect of all, unless you add substantial mass to the bridge by using brass pins.

So, yes, I do think nut material makes a difference, but it's subtle. And, yes, I tend to prefer bone nuts.

My usual routine when dialing in the sound of a new guitar has been to replace any synthetic nut and saddle materials with bone. On more than one occasion I haven't liked the effect of the new bone saddle, so I have switched back to the stock saddle or even tried something different, like the micarta saddle that seems to sound best on my recently acquired Gibson J-60.

But I have never once gone back to a stock nut made of synthetic materials. Bone seems to be the best material for that part, at least in my experience. So what I suggest you do, Rex, is get a bone nut made and installed, but keep the original nut, as well. In the unlikely event that you don't like the bone nut, you can always go back to the one that came on the guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Well said Wade.

When swapping any components, results are going to vary greatly, and may not necessarily be positive, so being able to revert to original is always an option that one should keep open.

I swapped my Hummingbird to bone and liked the sonic results......alot.
I also like the look....alot
One reason I disliked the Tusq. stuff is I found it to be kinda soft(ish), esp. the saddle.

I changed both saddle and nut to bone but also had a ust removed at the same time, my own results are a product of all these changes combined.

Although, even if the sound had not changed one iota, I'd prob. still have done the swap just for the pure beauty of it.....IMO bone just looks great on a guitar.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 AM

I prefer bone on my acoustic guitars. I do like the graphite nuts on my electrics though.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 AM

My luthier suggeswt that if you will have bone nut and saddle you might as well go the whole hog and also bone the nut. Not sure if its right or not, but i took his suggestion and now all my guitars have the full bone treatment and sound great.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion