The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Kramster, I couldn't agree more and the future may already be here. I've beamed this X10N dozens of times to my friends.And no apparent damage.

Sure its all good...until a fly some how gets inside the guitar and some atoms get crossed.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Also it seems CF is kinda strong... I spotted a couple of them being used to hold rock formations in place in the desert..

And strong enough to as not needing a helmet whilst on a quad

And versatile

And collectable

Altitude changes are ok as well... plus can be played Canadians and Irish Lads

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 01-06-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I KNEW Evan was exaggerating! Only 5 Cargos in that photo... unless you have the other 20 or so stashed elsewhere.

Quite a collection!
Old 01-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Half the group were mine and half were Alistair's (out of the 19?)... at my humble abode back in the day... only 5 Cargos yes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghd View Post
It is very cold here. Made me think that despite having a CF guitar, I wouldn’t want it to sit in my car trunk all day while at work for fear of it being brittle (although I could always let it acclimate wherever I’m going). And on warm days, get too hot and perhaps deform. I realize I could take the guitar into the office for the day but I work in a public space and would have to keep an eye on it all day, so that’s not an option. I also realize that CF is not intended for direct sunlight for extended periods of time. So I ask you all for any personal or technical knowledge on a particular situation.
Presuming the guitar is safely in a hard shell case, in the trunk, not in the cabin, how long is too long on a very cold or very hot day? What is too hot or too cold? Wind chill here now is below zero, and in summer we do get above 100. I would appreciate knowing, especially if these limits have been tested.
If anyone knows, you all will. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I recall Ted saying he left one of his CF guitars in his SUV so he'd always have it available. Southern California area. Apparently, no issue..
Hi John,

Jim is correct, I do like to leave a CF, or Ekoa guitar in my SUV, and not just in LA. We also own homes in the local mountains, and in the desert so the inside of my SUV can be anywhere from the teens to over 100 depending on the time of year, and where we are.

One winter I lent my CA OX to my neighbor in Big Bear before driving back to LA, so I told him to leave it in my wood shed when he was done. The guitar spent several week in the shed where temps were between 10 and 30 degrees. One especially cold spring up in Big Bear I decided I was done with winter, so we drove down to Palms Springs where it was in the high 80's. In two hours my Blackbird Rider went from freezing in a snow covered SUV to hanging with me poolside in the blazing sun. Speaking of sun, Helene and I spend most weekends in the summer out on the lake, and we always bring a CF or Ekoa guitar. So far leaving them in the sun has not been a problem.

Note that I'm not suggesting you abuse your guitar, but if you use common sense, owning a high quality CF or Ekoa guitar should be a carefree experience.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

Note that I'm not suggesting you abuse your guitar, but if you use common sense, owning a high quality CF or Ekoa guitar should be a carefree experience.
Seems that the quote above should be on a permanent "stickie" for every new person that comes to the Carbon Fiber sub-forum.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM

A link to a Rainsong being played at sub-zero temperatures in Antarctica.

https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/bl...ain-scotts-hut

Good to go.

Later
Rob
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2966 View Post
A link to a Rainsong being played at sub-zero temperatures in Antarctica.

https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/bl...ain-scotts-hut

Good to go.

Later
Rob
Pretty sure my fingers would not be able to form a chord at those temps. While not "indestructible," they are tougher than I am... all this talk about being left in a hot car or a trunk overnight... yeah, I couldn't take that.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:49 AM

I'm not ever terribly worried about letting mine get cold, but I'm a little more wary of heat. Inside the trunk, in it's case, probably okay (I'd be extra sure to park in the shade). But I've baked cookies on the dash of my car in 108*F sunny days. And I sure as heck wouldn't leave an all-black CF guitar in direct sunlight on a sunny day, since the surface of a black car can get hot enough to leave second-degree burns in those conditions. Really, my only concern with extreme temp fluctuations is the poly finish checking.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Fun thread, thanks for all the images! Keep em coming, please!!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM

I trust my Rainsong in the warm and cold, but I had an interesting experience in the Christmas season. Hired to be a roving musician for a small town festival, the temp fell to close to zero. I would play a song or two outside, then go into a business to play, then outside to walk down the street. I was surprised to find that the tuning was not as stable as I expected - I had to keep a close ear and re-tune regularly. I would have thought I would not have to worry about that.
Martin D42 2007
Martin OM28V 1997
Martin D28 1978
Gibson Dove 1969 (cherry sunburst)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM

That is a pretty extreme example, Patric -- going inside and outside constantly. My experience has been that tuning stability is pretty good with changing temperatures. But I tend to either stay out or stay in, not pop back and forth briefly to warm up. Just imagine how bad it would have been with a wood guitar??
Old 01-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric P View Post
I trust my Rainsong in the warm and cold, but I had an interesting experience in the Christmas season. Hired to be a roving musician for a small town festival, the temp fell to close to zero. I would play a song or two outside, then go into a business to play, then outside to walk down the street. I was surprised to find that the tuning was not as stable as I expected - I had to keep a close ear and re-tune regularly. I would have thought I would not have to worry about that.
Probably the strings rather than the CF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber