The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Breedlove vs Larrivee opinions wanted

At a given price point, are these two brands about equivalent (meaning good sound and playability)? My impression is that these two makes are just one tier below (in terms of popularity) Martin, Taylor and Gibson and arguably, better bang for the buck.

I have not played a Larrivee and a Breedlove only briefly (can't remember the model but it was a cutaway) and I played so many guitars that day, I can't really remember it.

I believe all the Larrivees are made in North America. The Breedlove Atlas series, which appear to be in the same price range as the -03 Larrivees are made overseas. Not sure what the American series equates to in a Larrivee. They both have so many models it's kind of confusing.

FWIW, if I buy new, it will probably be in the $1000-1200 range.

Would especially like to hear from anyone who owns or has owned both brands.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Larrivee are made in Canada and the US,most all Larrivee are built the same way,only you get better looking wood and more bling on the higher priced guitars,I have yet to see an 03 with bad looking wood,I dont know anyhing about the other brand but if cost is a big consideration then you cant go wrong with a Larrivee 03 series,as its the same guitar as their higher priced models but without the bling.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

The American-made Breedloves are pretty comparable to Larrivee, but with very different voicing. I like them both.

Larrivee tends to pick out some nice wood sets, even for his low-end guitars.

Breedlove has some great wood sets too, but they tend to be used for their higher-end customs.

I'd choose Larrivee if you're looking at the lower end.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Breedlove was just recently sold to Bedell guitars , not sure of wether the quality will be the same etc. im not a fan of the Breedlove Asian made models -they seems decently made but lack good tone .Larrivees in my opinion a bit better - Some are great most are so-so . wouldnt buy one unless i could first play it first .( my opinion about new Gibson's is about the same ) Id look in other directions like Martin or Taylor .
Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 AM

If you want completely North American, both custom shop Breedloves and the American Series are made completely in Bend, Or.

The "Cascade Series" is the new "Pro-Series" a hybrid built in Korea with final work done in Bend. About 65/35 Korean/Bend built. Atlas are all Korean, with inspection and set up in Bend. For the Bang to Buck I prefer the Passports to the Atlas even though the Atlas leans more towards the Breedlove sound.

I've played more Breedloves than any other guitar. I have found fault with only one or two American made ones. They sound great, play well, have great fit and finish and hold up under heavy road us.

I have not played many Larrivee's but none have annoyed me. I sometimes don't like all the fancy inlay work on the older ones I've seen.

If you can play both at the same store, do so and get the one that speaks. If I was going Blind, I would go Breedlove. I've never sent one back.

McNichol (a sponsor) has some great American Series guitars right now at a great price point...they are also great people to deal with. Check out the Dealer Classifieds or call them.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM

i just bought a larrivee and in my opinion they are in the same league as martin or taylor only a little less expensive. i also own a taylor gc-5 and i see no difference in workman ship or quality in the larrivee only a different sound. the taylor may be just a little easier to play when using bar chords, but taylor is easier to play than most other guitars. for what its worth my opinion
Old 06-25-2011, 02:35 PM

I own both Larrivees and an American Series Breedlove.

Soundwise, they sound very similar, well ballanced, the Breedlove is probably a bit louder. I find the Larrivee neck to be a bit more comfortable. The Breed has a touch more sustain.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 PM

If you consider marketing and name recognition, I would put Larrivee a notch below Martin, Taylor and Gibson. Not when you consider materials, build quality and sound. Some high end features--one piece, hand-fitted dovetail necks, ebony bridge and fretboard wood binding--are not available on Martins until you've past the 18s and 28s, and the dovetail neck is not available on a Taylor at any price. That's not a rap on Taylor. I like Taylor guitars, and certainly have considered buying one, as I have considered Martins. Taylor, Martin and Larrivee will make all their models left-handed with no upcharge, which I like.
I have purchased four Larrivees, still have two and will likely sell one. Love my Larrivee dread and would never sell that. A similar quality guitar would cost at least $3K (the list on my Larrivee in 1994). Not familiar w/ Gibsons or Breedlove. I would imagine Breedlove is similar to Taylor, since he worked for Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion