The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Wow..

Wow.. Got my TD a few days ago and just had time now to train it in. I used a Rode NT1 mic in the "down under" position and it sounds fantastic. It did need some eq, but still the best sound I've ever heard direct. If someone played me the below recording, I'd recognize it as my Martin J15, and assume it was recorded with a mic.

Here's a clip of me strumming away, recorded direct out of the TD:

https://soundcloud.com/user-64349494...in-j15/s-If3Fd

This weekend I'll try it in my duo gig.

Last edited by niteflyguy; 11-16-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM

I just got mine and tried it out as well and it's very impressive! I first off want to say that the unit itself is pretty impressive. It really does have everything that I need in a good di. I love my Felix but the Tonedexter would be great for live use.

I just trained my Amulet with a cheaper MXL condenser that I had lying around. The results were awesome but I do want to try a better mic as the tone is a bit hollow sounding. It really does live up to the hype though. I switched between the mic and my wavemap and it was pretty difficult to separate the two.

One odd thing is that whenever I click "mute," I get added hiss through the headphones. Is this normal?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:23 PM

Has anyone tried the TD with an ES2 equipped guitar?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
Has anyone tried the TD with an ES2 equipped guitar?
Yes, ToneDexter works very well with Taylors. I've trained my Taylor 322ce ES2 and Taylor 618e ES2. I've yet to do the 614ce ES2. The TD also worked nicely on my Martin HD-28 Trance Amulet M-VT. I think I can achieve even better results than I've gotten with different mic placements but have yet to try messing around some more. I have some demos in this Acoustic Amplification section of AGF. Just click on SpruceTop and threads started by SpruceTop and you'll find them. These demos use a flatpick.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-17-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 AM

question moved to new thread

Last edited by guitaniac; 11-17-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
One odd thing is that whenever I click "mute," I get added hiss through the headphones. Is this normal?
I have not experienced this. One caution flag for me this morning was that the TD did not wake up the first time I plugged it in. Thought I had a dead soldier for sure, but it woke up upon unplugging and plugging in again (IT support technique #1!).

I have been experimenting with wavemaps. The most pleasing one so far is that which resulted from my Trance Amulet-equipped Gibson Jumbo (Jackson Browne model). Wow! Very round and deep. A really fascinating combo is to then plug in my Dazzo-equipped Taylor 814ce and use the Gibson Jumbo wavemap. It sounds better than the actual Taylor wavemap. I may try recording the Taylor again trying a different mic placement.

ToneDexter is really keeping me off the streets and out of trouble!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post

It is not normal. When you engage MUTE/TUNER, the main and DI outputs are muted, but the headphone stays alive with the sound of the bypassed pickup, and allows you to tune. If you hear more hiss this way, do you also hear more hiss when not in MUTE but rather BYPASS (long press of the left switch, or empty slot)? This would be a clue to check.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
It is not normal. When you engage MUTE/TUNER, the main and DI outputs are muted, but the headphone stays alive with the sound of the bypassed pickup, and allows you to tune. If you hear more hiss this way, do you also hear more hiss when not in MUTE but rather BYPASS (long press of the left switch, or empty slot)? This would be a clue to check.
My Amulet has a bit of hiss (not really sure why). However, when I engage the mute switch, the hiss actually gets noticeably louder through my headphones. Tomorrow I will test my K&K equipped guitar and also check the BYPASS suggestion.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Can you get good results using the Tone Dexter with a soundhole magnetic pickup like the Sunrise?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
Can you get good results using the Tone Dexter with a soundhole magnetic pickup like the Sunrise?
From the ToneDexter user manual -- "It’s intended for instruments fitted with piezo pickup systems, either passive or active. Magnetic pickups are not recommended due to their higher distortion and string position dependence, but nonetheless may sometimes yield usable results."
Old 11-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP Andy View Post
I think you will find that your playing style during training has minimal influence on the resulting WaveMap. The training algorithm focuses on the difference between pickup sound and mic sound, and seeks to minimize that difference. I have trained TD probably 10,000+ times during development, and have not seen major effects based on picking style. Playing the full range of instrument is beneficial. Mic placement, especially with respect to the sound hole, has a significant effect. Also, during the first segment of training where certain gains are established, what you plays matters more. In particular it is good to avoid dwelling on notes that correspond to the fundamental body resonances of the guitar, which are usually around G# on the bass E string, and around F on the D string. I usually just strum the upper 4 strings at the 5th fret during level setting phase for best results.
This is great advice, succinct. Is it in a user manual? I haven't pulled the plug yet, but might be soon.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM

I just purchased a ToneDexter from Dream Guitars and am looking forward to joining the fun. He said they just got them in last week, so I presume it has the update for home recording.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I just purchased a ToneDexter from Dream Guitars and am looking forward to joining the fun. He said they just got them in last week, so I presume it has the update for home recording.
IIRC that update is in firmware, so it is field-updatable. (I assume you are talking about the ability to train a wavemap in position #22 that lacks the anti-feedback processing)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
IIRC that update is in firmware, so it is field-updatable. (I assume you are talking about the ability to train a wavemap in position #22 that lacks the anti-feedback processing)
Thanks for the info, Gordon. It appears that I needn't have worried about missing out on that feature.

Among other things, I'm hoping that Tonedexter will enable me to remove the internal mics from two of my guitars. The MiniFlex 2Mic, especially, seems to add a lot of weight to my little classical.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:30 PM

I know most of us are SBT fans here. It is anyone using TD with a Fishman GoldPlus or Matrix type undersaddle?

Interested to know your thoughts.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification