The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Jorma Kaukonen Appreciation Thread

In keeping with the latest trend in appreciation threads, I thought Jorma should be mentioned. After all, this is an acoustic guitar forum and while Jorma came to prominence as an electric lead guitarist for the Jefferson Airplane, his acoustic work with Hot Tuna has stood the test of time.

I first met Jorma about 12 years ago while standing in the lobby of Merkin Hall in Manhattan. I was there to see a Tribute to Gary Davis show in which he was headlining, and as it was pretty cold outside and I was there early, the lobby was cozy, warm and empty.

Vanessa, Jorma's wife came walking to me with an outstretched hand, greeting me and then asking if I would consider teaching at Jorma's guitar camp - Fur Peace Ranch. Before I could respond, Jorma popped up from behind her and also shook my hand with a warm hello.

I can't even begin to tell you how surprised and shocked I was at that moment. Not only did I not expect the two of them to be right there in the lobby, but having them ask me to teach was one of those shaking-my-head moments. I was stunned, and completely honored.

Jorma was a major influence in my playing, as I'm sure he was with thousands of others. I had just learned how to fingerpick when I first heard of Hot Tuna, and that first live album he recorded with Jack Cassidy on bass and Will Scarlett on harmonica truly opened up my ears as to what fingerpicking, improvisational blues and ragtime guitar could sound like. Luckily I met a guy who showed me how to play 'Hesitation Blues' and 'Whinin Boy Blues,' and before I knew it I had every last song on that album under my fingers.

Jorma, along with others like David Bromberg, Stefan Grossman, Happy Traum, Woody Mann, was what was considered to be next generation of younger players that wound up introducing many of us Baby Boomers to those blues and ragtime pickers of an earlier era. Had it not been for them, this style of playing might have never overflowed past a small handful of devotees and into the mainstream - relatively speaking.

Last year, while I was in my cabin at Fur Peace, Jorma wandered in for a cup of coffee. He had heard that I was a bit of a connoisseur when it came to this elixir, as I had brought my own freshly roasted Arabica beans (yes, I really do that) to the camp. Before tasting a cup, Jorma proceeded to pop several beans into his mouth and crunch away, saying 'yeah, that's the s$%t alright, brew me up a cup.'

How friggin cool was that? And I think this year will be my 8th or 9th year teaching at the camp. Shaking my head.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 07-09-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

cool story!

big Jorma fan since the 70's....

if you don't know Jorma, you don't know jack
Old 07-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Great story Toby Walker. I am happy to be influenced by the likes of Jorma Kaukonen also. I didn't know of his acoustic playing till I started learning acoustic guitar. I was well aware of the band Jefferson Airplane (which seemed to occupy some of my time in the early 70's... ) but I didn't realize just how talented he was....listed in the top 100 guitarists by Rolling Stone.

My favorite song of his will always be Genesis... wonderful clean guitar playing and great lyrics!

https://youtu.be/chNamvS4HoU

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:54 PM

same here- that first hot tuna album propelled me toward acoustic guitars. Still pick them tunes.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Guest 33123

Yeah Jorma's a great guy. Chatted with him a few times over the years at FPR. Vanessa and the ranch gang are great too. My plan is to finally take a class with Jorma next year, probably during the RGD weekend. Can't wait!

Last edited by Guest 33123; 07-10-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Jorma? You bet -- ever since Surrealistic Pillow and Embryonic Journey. An important part of my "formative" years.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
cool story!

big Jorma fan since the 70's....

if you don't know Jorma, you don't know jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Jorma? You bet -- ever since Surrealistic Pillow and Embryonic Journey. An important part of my "formative" years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
same here- that first hot tuna album propelled me toward acoustic guitars. Still pick them tunes.
Took the words right off of my keyboard.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

After a hiatus of 8 years I returned to Fur Peace this past May and finally met Jorma.
What I really appreciated was his intelligence and wit in someone who is truly down to earth....

FPR continues to be run competently by a very dedicated team.

really neat place to enjoy and partake in great music...

Gabe
Old 07-09-2017, 05:16 PM

One of my heroes. Seen Hot Tuna a bunch. The main reason I have always wanted to learn finger picking.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:20 PM

Very angry at Jorma. He cost me big time: Seeing him live in March with Jack Casady at Fur Peace resulted in an insane burst of GAS on my part. The result was very expensive!

But seriously, so many of us owe him a lot. The Hot Tuna repertoire is some of my all-time favorite music to play and to listen to. Jorma and Vanessa offer a magical experience in lovely southern OH.

Great thread.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:21 PM

I first learned on acoustic and the album with Hesitation Blues was an inspiration. Then I went electric for about 30 years, and in 2011 decided it was time for my first Martin. Six months later I found myself, with a jam buddy I met in college, at FPR, him with Jack Cassidy and me with GE Smith. Two years later we were back at FPR again and managed to meet another guitarist who, turns out, lives about 15 minutes from my buddy. We've had a three peice all acoustic thing now for the last three-four years, and we are really enjoying it. And we owe our current situation to Jorma. Oh and imagine my added appreciation that Jorma plays the M-30 model, considering my first Martin is an M-36, and when I bought it I had never heard of that model. (I went shopping for for a D-28 or a 35, but came home with the M-36.) Hopefully the three of us will return again to FPR... I'd love to take your class, and Jorma's too.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 07-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Very cool, Toby! You are an inspiration and you are so lucky to have been asked to work with the Fur Peace Ranch and Jorma Kaukonen. What a great story you tell in your opening post!

You are also very fortunate to be teaching at Swannanoa and in working with Happy Traum at Homespun Tapes.

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM

I first saw the Airplane in 1967. When Jorma launched into Embryonic Journey it was a real eye opener for me. I probably saw the Airplane another ten times. oeer the next three years. And then, of course, there was Hot Tuna. To this day my take on "Hesitation Blues" owes as much to Jorma as it does to Rev. Davis. I will still occasionally get an itch and all of sudden start into "Mann's Fate" or "Water Song."

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Very cool, Toby! You are an inspiration and you are so lucky to have been asked to work with the Fur Peace Ranch and Jorma Kaukonen. What a great story you tell in your opening post!

You are also very fortunate to be teaching at Swannanoa and in working with Happy Traum at Homespun Tapes.

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn. Not for a second do I take any of it for granted either.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:29 PM

Along with "Little Martha," "Embryonic Journey" made me want to learn to fingerpick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion