The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Low Tension Strings with out truss rod

I am thinking about trying some low Tension Strings from Santa Cruz or Straight up Strings. My CA Legacy does not have a truss rod. Before I buy these strings are there any opinions. I do have an extra saddle that I could swap out if I need a higher action, but I will not be able to adjust any neck relief. What do you think?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 PM

I use SCGC Low Tension strings exclusively on all my guitars, a triple O and there is no adjustment whatsoever, it is standard scale and they play great! I also used them on my APLE Rainsong same results. They last a Long time and IMO give great tone, bit warmer, they need a day to settle in. I love them, been using them for about a year. I also used them on a Bourgeois Dread I had same results...
Old 12-12-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I use SCGC Low Tension strings exclusively on all my guitars, a triple O and there is no adjustment whatsoever, it is standard scale and they play great! I also used them on my APLE Rainsong same results. They last a Long time and IMO give great tone, bit warmer, they need a day to settle in. I love them, been using them for about a year. I also used them on a Bourgeois Dread I had same results...
When you say "a bit warmer", would you recommend for a guitar that is on the dark side already? I have been using 80/20's .
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Well, I was using Elixir 80/20 Nano's for years and liked them until these, I guess it's opinion as is everything else, used the Retro for a brief time but didn't get enough volume on short scale, used the mid tension SC on my triple O and they had Outstanding tone and volume, but I prefer to sacrifice a bit of the projection to save my hands a bit. I am 75 and been playing over 40yrs. so trying to continue as long as possible. Lower tension helps quite a bit imo, my triple O is std. scale, 12 frets. Makes a huge difference as I play 4+ hrs. a day. Still take lessons!!
The Nano's were just a bit to thin sounding and more treble side for me, I like a nice bass and fullness, since I can no longer play dreads I try for the most bang on my smaller size guitars. SCGC strings for me have accomplished this.
I know they cost a bit more but I get a good 3 months on a set, could probably go longer but I'm ready to break the guitar down for a cleaning end to end and new strings by then. Jerry
Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Well, I was using Elixir 80/20 Nano's for years and liked them until these, I guess it's opinion as is everything else, used the Retro for a brief time but didn't get enough volume on short scale, used the mid tension SC on my triple O and they had Outstanding tone and volume, but I prefer to sacrifice a bit of the projection to save my hands a bit. I am 75 and been playing over 40yrs. so trying to continue as long as possible. Lower tension helps quite a bit imo, my triple O is std. scale, 12 frets. Makes a huge difference as I play 4+ hrs. a day. Still take lessons!!
The Nano's were just a bit to thin sounding and more treble side for me, I like a nice bass and fullness, since I can no longer play dreads I try for the most bang on my smaller size guitars. SCGC strings for me have accomplished this.
I know they cost a bit more but I get a good 3 months on a set, could probably go longer but I'm ready to break the guitar down for a cleaning end to end and new strings by then. Jerry
Thanks, Jerry, I'll give them a try or maybe Straight Up Strings. I think they are about the same but 1/2 the price.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:11 AM

I have three CF guitars without truss rods and only one with. I have never noticed any relief changes using heavier or lighter strings, altered tunings, mixed gauge sets, heavy strings tuned down, etc. IMO it is a non-issue.

Example: my new Emerald twelve string came with heavy / medium EJ-37 strings from the factory -- 336 pounds total when tuned E-e. (These strings are actually meant to be tuned C#-c#). I took off the octaves first, leaving essentially a light gauge six string set -- 165 pounds or EJ-16. Then I put on a light gauge twelve set -- 250 pounds (EJ-38). No visible relief change and no need to adjust the truss rod at all.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I have three CF guitars without truss rods and only one with. I have never noticed any relief changes using heavier or lighter strings, altered tunings, mixed gauge sets, heavy strings tuned down, etc. IMO it is a non-issue.

Example: my new Emerald twelve string came with heavy / medium EJ-37 strings from the factory -- 336 pounds total when tuned E-e. (These strings are actually meant to be tuned C#-c#). I took off the octaves first, leaving essentially a light gauge six string set -- 165 pounds or EJ-16. Then I put on a light gauge twelve set -- 250 pounds (EJ-38). No visible relief change and no need to adjust the truss rod at all.
good to know, thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber