The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on the RainSong*Hybrid Series H-DR1100N2*

Any thoughts on this one? It's the hybrid dread.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:14 PM

Should be pretty nice, if you like dreadnoughts. They tend to be louder and bassier than the WS or OM models (not surprising). The jumbos trump the dreads in both ways, though, much like in wood guitars.

H-DR means the carbon / fiberglass mix for the back and sides, instead of pure CF weave. But the top should still be the woven fabric. N2 means the newer beefier neck with a truss rod, and 1100 means without electronics. Not sure if it will have the shark inlays or dots (personally I like the sharks).

FYI, I have a local friend with a 2002 classic DR-1000 with the N1 neck, in VGC. He would love to trade for my WS-1000 (he likes to play leads up the neck and wants a cutaway) but I just don't play dreads any more. And I like the cutaway too.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 AM

I haven't played one but will always remember Scott Nygard playing the hybrid dread back when they were first being promoted. If I listen with my ears and not my eyes I could imagine the tone not far from a D18. I think the guitar sounds great!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Any thoughts on this one? It's the hybrid dread.
I have owned my 2012 H DR1000 5 years and it is by far the favorite guitar I've ever owned or played. 2 years after buying it, I gave my Taylor and my Martin to my sons for safe keeping. I felt they needed attention I wasn't giving them.
I play/practice around 15 hours a week.
The H DR is an amazing guitar that has never disappointed.
My string: Martin Retro Custom Lights. 11-52(warm, clean, and predictable sound)
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

You can't get shark inlays on the H series, they are reserved for the higher end models.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

I decided to pull the trigger. I was able to find a pretty good deal online today and went for it. I can return it if I don't like it. I'll add a pickup of my choice later once I've played it a bit.

I have been asked to play a weekly farmers market in my town and it's in an open Pavillion. I don't really want to expose my wooden guitars to the humidity and temperature changes. I am pretty easy on my guitars, so I'm mostly interested in the CF guitar because of the above. The market opens in early spring, so I have some time to install a pickup later.

My type of music is Americana and older country. I think this dread should fit the bill nicely for that. Plus, I just love dreads and jumbos!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I decided to pull the trigger. I was able to find a pretty good deal online today and went for it. I can return it if I don't like it. I'll add a pickup of my choice later once I've played it a bit.

I have been asked to play a weekly farmers market in my town and it's in an open Pavillion. I don't really want to expose my wooden guitars to the humidity and temperature changes. I am pretty easy on my guitars, so I'm mostly interested in the CF guitar because of the above. The market opens in early spring, so I have some time to install a pickup later.

My type of music is Americana and older country. I think this dread should fit the bill nicely for that. Plus, I just love dreads and jumbos!
Sounds like a good choice! Congrats
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Come for the weather/humidity resistance, stay for the great tone!

I bought my first CF guitar for that reason... now, the wood ones don't get nearly as much play time. Congrats on finding your choice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber