The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-01-2017, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Default My Concerns about the Carbon Fiber Forum

I've always thought the CF section was an oasis in the middle of the desert. It was a tranquil, well-behaved subforum where I could come to get a respite from the fussing and fighting that sometimes goes on in the General and Open Mic sections.

Lately, however, it has become much more of a battleground with many of the same squabbles that pervade other parts of the AGF. There is rising concern among the moderators about the increasing combativeness here.

I've been a huge fan of CF guitars for many years. I own an Emerald now, but I happily owned a Composite Acoustics in the past. And I probably would have owned a Rainsong Parlor had I played it before I picked up a Cargo. There are lots of good CF guitars out there, just like their wooden cousins. Right now, Emerald is hot and there are lots of threads here about them. Guitar popularity moves in waves and cycles... something else may be the most popular next year.

This is NOT an Emerald forum. Comments about ALL carbon fiber guitars are welcome here. We're entitled to voice our opinions, but we need to do it while being respectful of others regardless of which guitars they play.

I implore us to try to keep the CF section a cut above the rest of the AGF. I hate to see threads closed in this section... it's just something that hasn't happened much in the past. The moderators want to keep conversation open... that's why the AGF exists.

Let's please keep our behavior here dignified, courteous and respectful of all guitars and all people. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this Kerbie and well-said. I was surprised, and yet not surprised, but ultimately disappointed yesterday when I went back into one of my threads to see it had blown up and needed to be shut down. I had to step back for a couple days from being online, unfortunately. Had I not I would have seen what was happening, deleted a few posts and reported the people to the mods.

You'll note that it's normally just one or two people that constantly feel the need to go into someone's post and troll it. It's sad and I stop it when I notice it on my threads. I encourage others to do the same. Don't feed the trolls. Ignore them, delete them (if it's your thread) and report them to the moderators. Don't engage them. Don't feed them.

You moderators do a great job. I agree that the CF forum has been a bit of an oasis until recently. Emerald is producing great guitars with lots of charm and interesting designs and finishes and people are naturally excited to share their new acquisitions. But there are just as many posts about Rainsongs (I counted) and plenty of other CF guitars as well.

I've owned CF guitars from Emerald, Rainsong and Journey. They were and are all great.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I think it's still an Oasis....people just get a little "excited" once in a while, it seems to go in cycles too. Hopefully there's smooth sailing ahead and a lot of NGD's ! Thanks for the post Kerbie, well said.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 AM

Ok, just as Shakesperian actors always refer to MacBeth as "The Scottish Play", perhaps if we just call 'em "The Irish Guitars" it will bring us more luck.

Ok , Ok, I'll be good, I promise.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 AM

As an owner of two Emerald guitars, I really hope the forum is taken over by brands like Blackbird and CA! More variety, better pricing - all to the benefits for us GASsers here!!!

It's gonna take some time I reckon. Till then, a bit of a drama here and there doesn't hurt.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for those words, Kerbie. I completely agree with you about this forum being unique here (just like the guitars we all appreciate). No doubt, I have contributed in the conversations that have taken a turn... it is not always easy to sit on my hands (the forum equivalence of keeping my mouth shut) when there are calls to curtail comments regarding any particular brand. I will make a concerted effort to not reply to those posts.

I truly appreciate the open exchange we have here. I am passionate about making music and the instruments that allow us to do that; carbon fiber guitars being something that seems to have given a boost to that passion.

I enjoy the NGD posts... the photos... the reviews. For all brands. This forum piqued my interest in CF guitars, and it is fun to see new folks come here with questions. I have been fortunate to be able to play different carbon fiber guitars since my introduction to them, and try to answer questions here objectively. And, sometimes, with some humor. Keeping a sense of humor when involved in a niche interest in the guitar world is helpful.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 10-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I'm sad that this thread was necessary, but it is appreciated, Kerbie. Moving forward, I hope that sensitivities will be kept in-check.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM

I am new to the forum and have only poked around a bit so far (as an owner of CA Cargo and aspirant to Rainsong CH-OM or equivalent) but my initial impressions have been, especially as compared to an exceptionally cranky photography forum I frequent, how congenial this group is. My hope is that it continues to be...
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Guest 928

I think every family has its arguments. Sometimes those arguments are valuable if played out fairly, i.e., no name calling, no fanaticism, no ranting.
It's worth arguing about the best strings for a given guitar because there are so many choices they warrant attention and advocacy.

Discussions on this forum are generally civilized. There is a touch of fanaticism that pops up once in a while, but my reading is that the fanatics generally recognize that they've crossed a line and they back up.

I've not had a problem with the recent fanaticism on the forum because it seems to me it was fairly countered and was on its way out. But it is important for the moderator to draw lines and perhaps this was one line that needed drawing.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 AM

Kerbie, sent you a PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 AM

I have read through most of the 'disputed' threads and find the perceived level of disagreeable commentary is way off. There's very little I would really classify as any sort of ad hominem or any rea controversy. I tend to agree with the folks who opine that nobody is forcing anybody to read anything. Relief is just a click away, folks!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM

I am here a lot and never noticed it. Sure the odd person is opinionated, but I haven't seen anywhere near the insanity that can occur in the general discussion area. Maybe I just missed those threads. Good thing!

I didn't know there was a pro-Emerald stance here. If you hadn't stated it, I would have never thought it. I actually assumed way more people prefered Rainsong & CA simply due to access. Rainsong has also pumped such variety of tone.

I too would like every corner of this great forum to be civil.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Despite Kerbie's needed comments, everyone is correct in that compared to some other forums, this place is saint-like!

That said I feel the need to add something to my post above. I'm guilty of occasionally 'jumping ugly' with someone's comments and contributing to a thread's decline. Not often and lately not at all. That's because I read a helpful post some time back (probably here) that had great advice. When I'm posting something in response on a thread I ask myself the following:

Is it positive?
Is it on topic or at least somehow related?
Does it add anything insightful or useful to the conversation in a positive manner?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, then I do not his send on my post but rather delete it. I was quite surprised at just how many posts I end up not sending! And most of those are not even necessarily negative. I realize that I'm just responding to hear (see) the sound of my voice.

Like the person that has to comment on everything. The 'one-up' person, we call them at work. You know that type - no matter what the conversation, they've done it, done it better, and can't wait to tell you why you're wrong!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Kerbie,
Thanks for keeping us in check. I actually read this forum for a couple of years before joining AGF because I was turned off by most of what I first saw on the main forum. Hopefully this little reminder will work as a positive for all of us here.
I really enjoy the discussions of all the non-wood brands here.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Guest 928

Ted;

I looked but do not have a PM from Kerbie. Can I assume your heads up was for someone else?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber