The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-24-2015, 10:51 AM

I agree with Marcus (and everyone else) there is something about Mr. Fay's designs that are just plain pleasing to look at. It seems to transcend wood and inlay features. Something about the shape and the various shapes coming together that makes me just want to look at his guitars. And then to hear some extremely talented musicians rave about these guitars and it appears that beautiful form has met beautiful function. All the more refreshing. Congrats!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

It is very nice to hear positive things about my guitars' aesthetics. For me, the design and fit/finish are just as important as the tone. On both aesthetic and tonal fronts, I have spent years seeking critical feedback and criticism of my work and I think that has helped me immensely in developing my own understanding of those two aspects of lutherie.

The Kingwood imparts a very pleasing warmth and rich timbre to the guitar. I would say it is very near Brazilian RW and Cocobolo -- in that it occupies a sound somewhere between the two. I've also had a chance to directly compare two almost identical guitars of mine -- one with a 25.0" scale and the other with a 24.0" scale. I've built a number of short scale guitars but never really been able to do a direct comparison, which has confirmed some of my thoughts about the tonal changes associated with scale length.

And as always, the Rodgers are an absolute pleasure to use. For inquiring minds, the buttons are black horn. Mesa should have the guitar in his hands by this coming weekend. It will still need a week or so to settle in but I am already pleased with how this one sounds.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Simon,
You have a very pleasing aesthetic, and this particular guitar looks great.

I noticed that your soundhole seems to be located a bit higher than 'typical'. One of my guitars is similar (the top of the soundhole on mine aligns with about the 20th fret). It seems this type of soundhole placement gives a bit for usable soundboard area. For your design, was this an aesthetic choice or for a tonal reason (or am I wrong and it's not located higher than typical).

(update) I just realized this is a 13 fret guitar. Maybe my visual perception got confused.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 03-24-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 PM

Hi Folks

My guitar arrived yesterday and I can't tell you how pleased I am! Simon is a true gentleman and a very gifted builder.

The guitar sounds fantastic and the workmanship is pristine. The 24 scale, 1 25/32 nut width and 2.25 spacing at the saddle are perfect for my worn hands.

Thank you Simon!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Hi Folks

My guitar arrived yesterday and I can't tell you how pleased I am! Simon is a true gentleman and a very gifted builder.

The guitar sounds fantastic and the workmanship is pristine. The 24 scale, 1 25/32 nut width and 2.25 spacing at the saddle are perfect for my worn hands.

Thank you Simon!
Where is the "like" button when I need it.

I wish you well as the new adventure with your Fay guitar begins.

I can say that I have had some truly remarkable musical moments over the past week, as I have finally had the time and health to really dig into the two instruments Simon delivered to me last Fall.

Don't be shy about experimenting with strings and tunings on the 24" scale...I'm going with all-mediums, DADGAD (mostly), and even tuned down a 1/2 step at times (which is still more tension than lights at standard pitch, DAGAD or otherwise).
Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Where is the "like" button when I need it.

I wish you well as the new adventure with your Fay guitar begins.

I can say that I have had some truly remarkable musical moments over the past week, as I have finally had the time and health to really dig into the two instruments Simon delivered to me last Fall.

Don't be shy about experimenting with strings and tunings on the 24" scale...I'm going with all-mediums, DADGAD (mostly), and even tuned down a 1/2 step at times (which is still more tension than lights at standard pitch, DAGAD or otherwise).
Thanks Larry, I'm pretty much in DADGAD also, sometimes CGDGAD. I've been using Elixir for sometime now and really like them...Polyweb 80/20 bronze but in lights. I'm going to try the mediums...thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 PM

This guitar is adorable. I could stare at this for hours just admiring the craftsmanship.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

I expect that we won't be reading many posts from the OP for a long while because he'll be busy on an extended honeymoon with this beautiful guitar. What a stunner!! Congratulations to Simon and Mesa both.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-12-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
The guitar sounds fantastic
c'mon man! We need far more info than that!

Vs. other instruments you've had? Soundclips? Videos?

So pleased for you: Nothing like a great NGD to raise the spirits.

cheers,
Steve
Old 04-12-2015, 06:04 AM

That is one of the most elegant looking guitars I've ever seen, workmanship looks immaculate. I'd also love to hear it's tone, very curious about the KingWood :-) may it bring years of pleasure to you and your listeners.

Taylor 514ce (1999)
Taylor Baby-m (1999)
Taylor 814ce (2014 - Finally!)
Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorJoe View Post
That is one of the most elegant looking guitars I've ever seen, workmanship looks immaculate. I'd also love to hear it's tone, very curious about the KingWood :-) may it bring years of pleasure to you and your listeners.
Exactly what ^ he said.

Vic
Old 04-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

What a gorgeous instrument ... cudos!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
It is very nice to hear positive things about my guitars' aesthetics. For me, the design and fit/finish are just as important as the tone. On both aesthetic and tonal fronts, I have spent years seeking critical feedback and criticism of my work and I think that has helped me immensely in developing my own understanding of those two aspects of lutherie.
I'm glad to hear you say this, although it's not surprising to me. I've emailed a fair bit with Mau (JoeCharter), and we both agree that even a sensational-sounding guitar that doesn't appeal to the player aesthetically will simply not get played as much (all things being equal, etc, etc.)

I auditioned a -wonderful- sounding guitar this weekend, and at least one part of the reason I'm not keeping it--despite it being, truly, a special sounding instrument, is a complete disinterest in how it looks.

Of course, aesthetics are subjective. I also think that originality contributes (thus the lack of beauty to me in the countless derivative works in guitars as of late). I'm thankful you've found a beautiful, unique, original aesthetic, Simon. It shows, both your vision and your ethic in working to make something that clearly pays respect to influential designs but is not a copy at all.

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Love that Kingwood, beautiful guitar.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Mesa! I hope you enjoy this guitar for years to come. It looks beautiful.

Hope you're well, Kindly,
Danny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop