The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-10-2017, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, Tom. I will tell Steve when we return from Disney. Maybe one day, if you ever find yourself in L.A., you can come visit us at the shop.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looking real good Joel! Say hey to Steve for me!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

It sure has been a treat to watch Joel build his first two guitars with such meticulous attention to detail. All along the way, everything has been coming out to an impeccable professional standard.
Over the last few days, Joel and wife and son have been in Orlando, giving son Zane the full on Disney experience. What a lucky kid to have parents like that! I'm looking forward to their return, though, because next up on Joel's to-do list is cutting and fitting the neck joints on his first two guitars. That is actually when they BECOME guitars, rather than an assortment of parts. What a thrill! Stay tuned, folks, and you'll see what an elegant sense of design Joel is bringing to this endeavor.
Not sure how the progress will unfold, since Joel still has a REAL job to go to every day; but there's a good chance that Thing One and Thing Two will be all done, strung up, and making music around Christmas time! What a happy time that will be!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for all of your encouragement and direction, Steve...but you'd better be careful, or you might have me believing that these two things might actually turn out to be pretty decent guitars. 😳

I couldn't imagine that there could be a more fitting date of completion than Christmas with the whole idea behind the name "Two Hands" 🎄🌟🎄

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
It sure has been a treat to watch Joel build his first two guitars with such meticulous attention to detail. All along the way, everything has been coming out to an impeccable professional standard.
Over the last few days, Joel and wife and son have been in Orlando, giving son Zane the full on Disney experience. What a lucky kid to have parents like that! I'm looking forward to their return, though, because next up on Joel's to-do list is cutting and fitting the neck joints on his first two guitars. That is actually when they BECOME guitars, rather than an assortment of parts. What a thrill! Stay tuned, folks, and you'll see what an elegant sense of design Joel is bringing to this endeavor.
Not sure how the progress will unfold, since Joel still has a REAL job to go to every day; but there's a good chance that Thing One and Thing Two will be all done, strung up, and making music around Christmas time! What a happy time that will be!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 12-15-2017, 05:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Thing One and Thing Two...

Hello again folks,
I’m just about finished with these two builds. Since I last posted, I’ve cut the mortise & tenon for the bolt-on neck joint and installed the hardware. I’ve fitted the heel to the body, installed the trussrod and glued the fretboard to the neck. Then I installed the frets and just finished the heel caps. The only thing left to do is carve the profile of the necks and carve the bridges. Here are a few pictures of the progress...

As always, thank you for looking...
Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 12-15-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

I loved every part of carving and shaping the necks...and I'm very happy with the way that they feel. I used the necks of my Taylor guitars as a model because they're the most comfortable-playing necks to me...

I had previously hogged off the extra material with the Saf-T-planer

I used a combination of drawknife, rasps and sandpaper

And this is what was left after I surgically butchered it...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 12-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Two things:

1 - Neck looks really, really nice!
2 - I need to build me a neck cradle...
Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Thanks Mike. I told Steve that you said "hello" and he told me that you've signed up for a custom build. I'm looking forward to seeing your build when it comes up.
Joel, thank you! I am one of those patiently waiting, and that's fine with me. So glad you and Steve have formed such a nice bond. I can tell from his writing here how happy he is, and that is simply awesome, he deserves it! Looking very much forward to seeing how you each benefit and grow from this. Haven't read the rest of the thread, don't stop in as often as I used to, going to do that now. Have a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic 2018!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Two things:

1 - Neck looks really, really nice!

2 - I need to build me a neck cradle...

Thank you, Louie.....they both feel wonderful to my hand. I'm very excited that I'll be able to play them soon.

That neck cradle that Steve built is a magnificent contraption, indeed.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 12-22-2017, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Joel, thank you! I am one of those patiently waiting, and that's fine with me. So glad you and Steve have formed such a nice bond. I can tell from his writing here how happy he is, and that is simply awesome, he deserves it! Looking very much forward to seeing how you each benefit and grow from this. Haven't read the rest of the thread, don't stop in as often as I used to, going to do that now. Have a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic 2018!

Thanks Mike.....
Merry Christmas to you, and a new year full of happiness and peace.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

I was able to finish both builds before the turn of the calendar. Now I've begun the process of preparing them for finish. Here's what they look like...

I'll add more pictures, as I'm able, during the finishing process...otherwise, look for a new thread soon, as I begin the plans for my next two builds. Thanks for following folks.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Wow, Joel--you have really come a long way and these both look amazing!

Really love your bridge design and headstock inlays.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

...first two builds...AMAZING!

Are you taking orders?

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-03-2018, 11:30 AM

These guitars look great! All the details look very well executed. Although it's a straightforward design, I find that I particularly like your headstock on these guitars.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
I was able to finish both builds before the turn of the calendar. Now I've begun the process of preparing them for finish. Here's what they look like...

I'll add more pictures, as I'm able, during the finishing process...otherwise, look for a new thread soon, as I begin the plans for my next two builds. Thanks for following folks.

Joel
Joel,

These looke awesome! Definitely more than "things!!"
Old 01-03-2018, 06:08 PM

Congrats Joel, an outstanding accomplishment for your first two builds! Wow, I only wish you had not kidnapped Mr. Sheriff in the process, please let him out of solitary once in a while will you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop