The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
My mother purchased her first flip cell phone just few years ago (5 years at most if that and she is 70).
My wife and I both have flip phones only..Tracfone. We keep them in the cars for emergencies. We also use them if I go to our camper and she stays home.
What sucks about is that we buy "minutes" once a year or as needed, but now Tracfone automatically splits those into talk or data.. and we don't use the data.
I've got to figure out something better... but the last thing we want is smartphones.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-12-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
My wife and I both have flip phones only..Tracfone. We keep them in the cars for emergencies. We also use them if I go to our camper and she stays home.
What sucks about is that we buy "minutes" once a year or as needed, but now Tracfone automatically splits those into talk or data.. and we don't use the data.
I've got to figure out something better... but the last thing we want is smartphones.

You are my hero. I mean that sincerely. I wish I could get away from my glow prison.

Remember when you wouldn't talk to someone you knew on the phone for days, sometimes? Seriously, now you get multiple daily phone calls and texts from friends and relatives for the most inane things. Things we would never have picked up a landline and called someone about years ago.

The other thing about Home Depot and Lowes is when you buy something, they print a receipt out that is about 24" long. It is ridiculous, but they have to try to get you take a survey.

What would the world be without a survey? Surveyless? Oh what a great thing a surveyless world would be.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
+1

I also find it very annoying.
IIRC long ago Radio Shack was the first to ask for zip code and phone number to make a cash purpose.
I always refused and if they did not politely proceed with the sale I'd make an ugly scene.

We aren't people anymore.
We are marketing opportunities.

I find it astonishing that most people, especially the young, have given up on caring about privacy.

I won't even join facebook.
I want to take some training videos on lynda dot com but LinkedIn bought them so I have to join LinkedIn and give all my personal info to them in order to take get Lynda videos ... but Microsoft bought LinkedIn.
No way am I submitting to Microsoft.
I give up.
I guess I'll just not get that training.
I one time went to the checkout in Radio Shack with about $50 worth of stuff, the clerk was insisting on my phone number. I looked at him didn't say a word, walked out and left the pile of stuff on the counter.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
You are my hero. I mean that sincerely. I wish I could get away from my glow prison.

Remember when you wouldn't talk to someone you knew on the phone for days, sometimes? Seriously, now you get multiple daily phone calls and texts from friends and relatives for the most inane things. Things we would never have picked up a landline and called someone about years ago.

The other thing about Home Depot and Lowes is when you buy something, they print a receipt out that is about 24" long. It is ridiculous, but they have to try to get you take a survey.

What would the world be without a survey? Surveyless? Oh what a great thing a surveyless world would be.

Yeah...I was at Lowe's last week and bought a small houseplant for $2.99..

Paid cash...while going thru the usual song and dance...telling them they didn't need my name, phone number, zip code or email address...

Then the clerk handed me a 24" receipt...I held it at the top and let it hang, while telling the clerk I thought the Co. could save me and them a lot of money by not printing 24" biblical scrolls for a $2.99 purchase...
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Last time I was in in Lowes and they asked, I spotted the store's number on the inside of the door and recited that back to the sales clerk, who punched it into the system without recognizing it. Let them telemarket themselves.....

I have a couple of retailer loyalty cards where I have given my address as 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC. When they ask for a phone number, I give the switchboard number for the US Congress. It helps to have a near photographic memory for numbers.
I love this!

But folks, honestly, can't we be a bit more tolerant? The cashier is only doing their job. There's no need to give a snide remark. Many of them are young kids making minimum wage. Imagine if that was your kid.

Anyway, Happy holiday to all!
Old 12-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Please tell me you rushed home with your receipt and filled out the HD survey online? I can't seem to win that $5,000 Home Depot Gift Card, so maybe you'll get lucky!

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 12-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
I love this!

But folks, honestly, can't we be a bit more tolerant? The cashier is only doing their job. There's no need to give a snide remark. Many of them are young kids making minimum wage. Imagine if that was your kid.

Anyway, Happy holiday to all!
Seriously these kids feel the same way. They aren't all stupid.
How about the restaurant that makes the kids wear a T-shirt with "I Love My Job" and dance. How long do you think it takes until they figure out they don't love their job?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic