The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2023, 11:51 AM

Default EQ ing Everse 8

At very loud levels (gigging outdoors, large bar karaoke, etc) the dsp limiting tech on the ev tends to cut a little bass while also at very loud levels the high end can get slightly harsh or piercing. At moderate levels (coffeehouse, smaller intimate performances) The speaker has a very Flat frequency that is pretty accurate so consider the venue when dialing in the eq. Here's what i recommend.

1. If using a stereo pair. set your primary speaker to mixer mode. Leave the other on basic mode so it doesn't potentially add more volume from the main mix send which may already be boosted on the primary speaker. If you do not have a second speaker then disregard.

2. If running one or two speakers, set both to live mode (has a real nice warm mid tone). Then on the main speaker , go into the mixer on the app. On the bottom you can choose graphical or parametric eq. Choose parametric.

3. If often playing moderate to louder levels. raise bottom 3 decibals.. however... for 160hz add a relatively tight q curve of 5.5ish and lower it to -2 to -3 decibals. This is actually a cool old eq engineers trick. Doing this accomplishes two things.. That boxy sound inherent in many small form factor abs speakers squarely sits around this range as well as general low end mud. Another benefit of this cut is it separates the bass from the mids and highs creating a more "hifi" sound without losing the mid warmth. Play with the q curve to dial in just how much you are willing to lose in the 160 range. I keep mine pretty tight so its really only notching out those specific frequencies instead of a wider curve.

4. Line one and two i use for guitar/vocals.. I set compressor to 1 for guitar, 2 for vocals on the channels. This makes its tasteful without sounding compressed. Reverbs are quite decent. My preference is small cathedral soft dialed back about -15 per channel. Now notice their are presets in the bottom right of the app for each channel. Here you can choose from a variety of modeled eq and settings for condensor or dynamic mics, acoustic guitars, bass, etc. It is very handy and choosing a mic preset here for your vocals really cuts out feedback and low end plosives.

5. Finally.. I leave the the rest of the eq mostly flat. In some situations ill boost some mids or highs 1 decibal for fine tuning. Depends on the room, situation.. loudness levels. One thing to note. the bluetooth signal from channel 3 seems to have the treble boosted already to the point where i have had to lower the treble gain on channel three specifically like -4 decibals to sound natural and not overly hyped or even piercing.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:22 PM

it would be great to draw those EQ curves...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification